1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Default Hey First Owners: I need your opinion!

I have five lines on my ATT account: My wife and I have HTC One's, my son has an iPhone, and mom and dad have dumb phones. They are now saying they might want to get smartphones when they upgrade this coming month. (Yikes!) Either way, I am thinking, from what I've read, that if I take this phone, and disable FB Home, it might make a nice little entry-level phone for them. Couple things to keep in mind: we're dealing with two seventy-somethings who have never had a smartphone, but really do relatively OK with their dumbphones; and, they spend several months a year away from me in FL, so when they call, I want to be able to talk them through their problems, which I should be able to do if they stay on the Android side of the world.

For 99-cents each, this might be the phone I'm looking for. Don't need to worry about multi-tasking, superior photos, music, etc. Just need a good phone with simple internet access. Any opinions from you who have actually used the First would be greatly appreciated.
    tim

Default Re: Hey First Owners: I need your opinion!

I purchased this phone on ebay, new for $200, so it did loose value extremely fast for a new phone on the market. So my suggestion would be not to waist an upgrade on this phone. I would suggest getting iPhone 4 or 4S for them, and if they don't like them you could sell them for $800 dollars and buy them 2 HTC First on ebay and put $400 in pocket. As for the phone itself, it is really pleasant experience with vanilla android. There is absolutely no ATT or HTC bloatware, and Facebook home can easily be deactivated. The phone is smooth and responsive. You could keep just minimal amount of apps on them and make it very easy to use for your patents. In other words, I recommend it but not as an upgrade on your line.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkoman4 View Post
    I purchased this phone on ebay, new for $200, so it did loose value extremely fast for a new phone on the market. So my suggestion would be not to waist an upgrade on this phone. I would suggest getting iPhone 4 or 4S for them, and if they don't like them you could sell them for $800 dollars and buy them 2 HTC First on ebay and put $400 in pocket. As for the phone itself, it is really pleasant experience with vanilla android. There is absolutely no ATT or HTC bloatware, and Facebook home can easily be deactivated. The phone is smooth and responsive. You could keep just minimal amount of apps on them and make it very easy to use for your patents. In other words, I recommend it but not as an upgrade on your line.
    Thanks for the feedback, darko. It's funny; no one replied to this thread until today, as I was in the ATT store getting their new phones! How's that for timing???

I actually ended up getting them the Pantech Discover, which has the coolest "Easy Mode" Android experience I've ever seen! Great hardware specs, got great reviews from almost every site AND from owners. The easy mode is just fabulous for the folks. Locks down the UI so they can't get in too much trouble, but still allows the to use the internet, email, etc. Kinda like an iPhone! (Go ahead, let the flames begin!)

You are correct about getting an iPhone 4 or 4s; however, they go to FL every winter and I didn't want to be guessing as to what their problems were from Michigan. Now, it should be very easy for me to diagnose and fix.
    tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, darko. It's funny; no one replied to this thread until today, as I was in the ATT store getting their new phones! How's that for timing???

I actually ended up getting them the Pantech Discover, which has the coolest "Easy Mode" Android experience I've ever seen! Great hardware specs, got great reviews from almost every site AND from owners. The easy mode is just fabulous for the folks. Locks down the UI so they can't get in too much trouble, but still allows the to use the internet, email, etc. Kinda like an iPhone! (Go ahead, let the flames begin!)

You are correct about getting an iPhone 4 or 4s; however, they go to FL every winter and I didn't want to be guessing as to what their problems were from Michigan. Now, it should be very easy for me to diagnose and fix.
    You did god. As a matter of fact I was going to point also that some android devices have Easy Mode for older people moving to smartphones. Samsung being one of them too. Anyways good luck, and good job not wasting upgrades on HTC First.

Good quality product, easy to use

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I feel compelled to defend the HTC first as a viable upgrade. I upgraded to my HTC first from an iPhone back when it first went to $0.99 on contract. I use it with Facebook Home disabled, and it is a fast and fluid stock Android experience. I also love the look and feel of the hardware.

A couple of cons that I'll admit to: The camera isn't stellar, although I'm not trying to replace a real point and shoot, and it doesn't look like I can expect any updates going forward. Google has mitigated this second problem some by divorcing the Google Play Services from the base system, and I don't think Android 4.1 will be left behind by the iterations of their apps and services any time soon.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in as a very happy and proud HTC first owner.