Intrigued by the HTC First

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
My gut says that AT&T will most likely discontinue the First sooner than later. And that means it will most likely never receive 4.2.

And yet, I'm pretty interested in this phone. The only true downside I see to it is the camera. Everything else really appeals to me. Lightweight, feels great in the hand, stock Android, cheap off-contract.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The other downside is all the tumbleweeds in this forum might as well get an HTC One if you can.

Sent from the collector home world.

bigkevbosky

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the First and I really like it. There's many good qualities - the smallest tiny logos on the back so it *almost* looks as clean as a Nexus device, its REALLY fast for such simple hardware, and the build quality is fantastic.

I haven't used a 4.3" screen phone in a while, but I'm enjoying the experience of Android on a smaller device. Its refreshing, to say the least.

Any other questions I'd be happy to answer them for you.

johnner1999

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
have you tried any 3rd party camera apps in the store, to see if they improve the ?camera?? Or is the issue not the poor stock photo app and rather a low grade camera?

jnrbshp

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
If you're worried about compatibility but like the size I'd say wait for either the one mini or Motorola device we've been seeing

Posted via Android Central App

bigkevbosky

May 10, 2011
Visit site
have you tried any 3rd party camera apps in the store, to see if they improve the ?camera?? Or is the issue not the poor stock photo app and rather a low grade camera?

No 3rd party app, but I did root my phone for this :

[MOD][ROOT] Increase Picture/Video Recording Quality (Updated: 5/16/2013). - xda-developers

Seems to have helped sharpness and color saturation. Still isn't a great camera, by any stretch. Comparable to the quality you'd get out of a Galaxy Nexus, maybe.

mlynch53

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Bigkevbosky,

I agree with your assessment. I just upgraded (Yes, UPgraded) to the First from my Motorola ATRIX 4G to be able to use a much newer Android version. Got it essentially free from A T & T ($.99 plus sales tax) at the physical store.

I personally MUCH prefer the "smaller" devices. Also turned Facebook Home completely off. I have no love for Facebook.

Nor am I a fan of the cameras on these devices. For what I do, this phone "fits the bill" very nicely!

Mike in Kentucky

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Coming from the original Note, I knew I wanted something smaller (much smaller). I was going back and forth between the First and the One Mini. The biggest selling point is the price point - $.99 for the First and $99 for the One Mini. Aside from the neg reviews, I took a chance on the First and I couldn't be happier. HTC and AT&T have a little diamond in the rough but a mediocre launch coupled with bad press didn't give the First its dues.