Thinkpad Tablet drive price of HTC Flyer down?

yayahero

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Now that Lenovo has came out with Thinkpad Tablet for $510 which include the stylus, do you guys think the price of HTC Flyer will come down? The Thinkpad has a 10 screen and a whole lot of expansion ports. To me, this is a more compelling tablet than HTC Flyer.

Any opinions?

Last edited:

imajaenation

May 22, 2011
Visit site
too bad its ntrig, just like the flyer. Wished it was wacom :/ I agree though, with the thinkpad being 510 the stylus for the thinkpad, is only about 30$-ish, the Flyer should lower its prices to compete.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
too bad its ntrig, just like the flyer. Wished it was wacom :/ I agree though, with the thinkpad being 510 the stylus for the thinkpad, is only about 30$-ish, the Flyer should lower its prices to compete.

Oh, it's an N-Trig, too? That sucks. It should definitely drive down the Flyer price, though, and should hopefully inform the Puccini price point as well.

yayahero

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Let me clarify my previous post a bit.

For $500, you will have 32GB storage, 10" IPS, 1GHz dual core, USB, mini-HDMI, Honeycomb, Gorilla Glass (Flyer does not have Gorilla Glass), and etc.... And optional stylus for $30. So for $530, you pretty much get a "better" tablet than the Flyer...

HTC really need to drop the price on Flyer to compete... I'm thinking the price will reduce to $300-$350 in the next three months. I just don't know who's going to buy the Flyer over the Thinkpad Tablet at current prices.

SciJohnDroid

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Let me clarify my previous post a bit.

For $500, you will have 32GB storage, 10" IPS, 1GHz dual core, USB, mini-HDMI, Honeycomb, Gorilla Glass (Flyer does not have Gorilla Glass), and etc.... And optional stylus for $30. So for $530, you pretty much get a "better" tablet than the Flyer...

HTC really need to drop the price on Flyer to compete... I'm thinking the price will reduce to $300-$350 in the next three months. I just don't know who's going to buy the Flyer over the Thinkpad Tablet at current prices.

Someone who prefers a 7" screen - that's who. I bought it for the stylus and the portability. It fits in my back pocket.

HTC Flyer / Tapatalk

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Someone who prefers a 7" screen - that's who. I bought it for the stylus and the portability. It fits in my back pocket.

HTC Flyer / Tapatalk

I Just checked the Lenovo website and spoke with a Lenovo sales representative and the IdeaPad Tablet K1 is available for pre-order at $499 with no digitizer,but it does have 32 gig and internal micro SD. Their ThinkPad tablet with the digitizer, SD card slot, usb, and gorilla glass will be available this Fall and the representative's estimated starting price was $700. I have seen articles on the internet, that support the statements in the original post in this thread, and I was excited as well, but check the Lenova website and see if you find those features available on the IdeaPad K1.

IT Service Professional - I Just Want My Device to Be Productive

robdec17

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I Just checked the Lenovo website and spoke with a Lenovo sales representative and the IdeaPad Tablet K1 is available for pre-order at $499 with no digitizer,but it does have 32 gig and internal micro SD. Their ThinkPad tablet with the digitizer, SD card slot, usb, and gorilla glass will be available this Fall and the representative's estimated starting price was $700. I have seen articles on the internet, that support the statements in the original post in this thread, and I was excited as well, but check the Lenova website and see if you find those features available on the IdeaPad K1.

Sorry you are incorrect. The Thinkpad Tablet will sell for $499 + $30 for the pen per the Lenovo youtube page on the Thinkpad unboxing video. It will also be on sale in a few weeks not in the Fall. Prob around Aug 2nd.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry you are incorrect. The Thinkpad Tablet will sell for $499 + $30 for the pen per the Lenovo youtube page on the Thinkpad unboxing video. It will also be on sale in a few weeks not in the Fall. Prob around Aug 2nd.

I hope you are correct and I have seen the same information as I stated. Out of curiosity I called Lenova Sales again and the 2nd representative stated the ThinkPad would be available next month and that it was rumored to be Aug 02, but had no pricing information. I don't know why they gave me the wrong information the first time.

Last edited:

robdec17

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Still think calling it a "thinkpad" is was too confusing to the average consumer since thats what the laptop line is called

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

HTC Flyer / Tapatalk

This. I'd be having buyer's remorse over the Flyer right now if the Lenovo were a 7" with all the other specs being the same, but a 10" screen is almost always a deal-breaker for me.

EDIT: No, wait, I lied. Just got to the part in the video where they're showing the on-the-fly OCR of freehand handwriting and conversion to typed text. I'm jealous now, 10" screen notwithstanding.

Last edited:

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
This. I'd be having buyer's remorse over the Flyer right now if the Lenovo were a 7" with all the other specs being the same, but a 10" screen is almost always a deal-breaker for me.

EDIT: No, wait, I lied. Just got to the part in the video where they're showing the on-the-fly OCR of freehand handwriting and conversion to typed text. I'm jealous now, 10" screen notwithstanding.

I'll stay with my Flyer for the convenience of the size for everyday work, but it looks as though BB will be getting my Thrive back and I will be getting a ThinkPad Tablet.

IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to be Productive

drd48

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm really liking the looks of the Thinkpad. Aside from portability, I don't know what else I could ask for from a tablet. However, I also like Sense. So I'm interested to see what the Flyer is like with Honeycomb, and interested to see what the Puccini has to offer. If the Thinkpad comes out soon, I may go for it though.

SciJohnDroid

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site

On the fly OCR. Now we're talking. I hope that gets ported to the Flyer.

HTC Flyer / Tapatalk

Last edited:

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
The ThinkPad tablet is VERY advanced stuff. Not just the stylus and OCR but Lenovo has packaged a bunch of very high quality software that typically costs real money with the tab. Things like Documents to Go full version, Citrix, encryprtion and security software, full ActiveSync built into the email client which itself is business class and so on.

Add in full size ports while keeping the tab decently thin, a first class display and a keyboard attachment/case that acts a lot like the Transformer and this is a compelling offering (especially as it is coming in at a lower price than competing tablets).

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The ThinkPad tablet is VERY advanced stuff. Not just the stylus and OCR but Lenovo has packaged a bunch of very high quality software that typically costs real money with the tab. Things like Documents to Go full version, Citrix, encryprtion and security software, full ActiveSync built into the email client which itself is business class and so on.

Add in full size ports while keeping the tab decently thin, a first class display and a keyboard attachment/case that acts a lot like the Transformer and this is a compelling offering (especially as it is coming in at a lower price than competing tablets).

I agree, it certainly raises the bar in the tablet market. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol