cracked or scratched screen?

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone cracked or scratched their screen whether by using the pen or a drop or in any other way? I just got a flyer a few days ago and my pen should be coming in soon. Should I wait to get a screen protector before using my pen? Also, my friend dropped her ipad recently and the screen is just totally shattered but surprisingly it is still usable so I'm just curious if anyone has had this happen.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The screen isn't Gorilla Glass, so I'd definitely recommend a screen protector as soon as possible to avoid scratches.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I put one of the Zagg protectors on my flyer the day after I bought it. I'm always on the careful side with my toys. In addition to peace of mind, I like the slight texture feel it gives to the pen.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess I don't know if it's Gorilla Glass or not, other than that I've never seen it promoted by HTC as being Gorilla Glass, and there have been numerous threads here of people reporting mishaps with their screens resulting from far less abusive treatment than some of the scratch tests people subject Gorilla Glass to. Bottom line, I wholeheartedly recommend a screen protector for the Flyer.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I've never seen HTC promote any product as having gorilla glass...but many have it. The truth is there are several out there that are plenty sturdy. GG will shatter if dropped (I murdered my Hero) and can be scratched if mistreated

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
GG will shatter if dropped (I murdered my Hero) and can be scratched if mistreated

No doubt about that. But from the various stress tests that have been done on the web, a Gorilla Glass screen should be able avoid scratches from being bounced around in a bag with keys and coins, and yet being in a purse with keys was enough to scratch at least one Flyer screen as reported here in the forums (http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-flyer/87749-screen-protector.html). Also another user reported "dropping" (in quotes because really, how hard can you actually drop a USB cable?) the end of a USB cable against the screen and gouging it out pretty good (http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-flyer/99998-any-way-fix-repair-scratch.html). I'm no pro on Gorilla Glass, but if the Flyer's got Gorilla Glass, then Gorilla Glass is pretty freakin' weak.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
There are a few tablets on the market that have Gorilla Glass and unfortunately the Flyer is not reported to be one of them. The Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet is the first tablet that I have seen that is licensed to market the Gorilla Glass name. So Lenovo uses it in their marketing campaigns. Also, Gorilla Glass is tough but not scratch proof from some of the posts on the TPT forums.

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Inherently, the bigger something gets, the weaker it's going to get unless it's made like an airplane wing. I don't get/believe/understand or something, the usb cable drop. I just don't. Of course, when conditions are absolutely perfect, anything is possible. I've seen weirder things like a 1/2" branch going through my transfer case skid plate, and housing...on the interstate. The skid plate is steel, while the housing is aluminum. It hit just right, so yes, anything is possible. I could see coins scratching a big ol Flyer screen tossed into a purse. Then again, you have to actually SEE what THEY are calling a scratch. I've had people show me scratches before that only they can see apparently. My Evo has a scratch that I can see if I hold it just right under a light with the screen off. Can't see it if I turn it on though. It's been naked from day 1.

Jayne Jordan

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the screen definately gets scratched, i was told it was gorilla glass so didn't use a protective screen, it is now scratched terribly, i have only ever used the pen or my finger, i'm fuming mad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995