1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Buy says HTC Flyer is no longer available for shipping.

With Best Buy saying the Flyer is no longer available for shipping, I personally feel no optimism for the promised upgrades to our tablet.

IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to Be Productive
    IT Service Professional - I Just Need A Device To Be Productive

Default Re: Best Buy says HTC Flyer is no longer available for shipping.

It's hard to argue with that Logic. However, "Sense" developer Samarth Rasiwasia.....who I follow on Google+....gave his opinion of "phones that will surely see ICS" and he listed the Flyer among them.

On the other hand.....I agree that with the BB supply exhausted....and HTC dropping hints of a Next Gen Tablet coming in early 2012, our Flyers will see little in the way of "Official" new development. There will likely be ROMs instead.

Since the release of Android 4.0 ICS, the game has truly changed. I believe the first true wave of Next Gen devices will all show up in the first half of 2012....both Phones and Tablets. I have resigned myself to wait until then to upgrade my whole mobile platform. With all the recent Borked OTA Device Updates, and the fact that HC was nothing more than a stop-gap hurried tablet band-aid anyway.....it just feels like waiting for ICS optimized Hardware is the smarter long range plan now.

It is sold out at all stores I checked. But the BB website still allows me to add it to my cart and put it on backorder. With time running out for me to find a tablet to give as a gift, it is down to the HTC Flyer and the Toshiba Thrive 7". The Samsung GalaxyTab 7.7 is not coming until 2012.
    Last edited by Dhalgren; 11-23-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Still on backorder. And my credit card has been refunded by Best Buy. Order remains open and in limbo. Not a good sign at all.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Unity 2.39

I called corporate and my store, and they said they "should"be getting more in stock since its still in their system but I have my doubts. I'm bummed because I was going to get this over a kindle fire but now don't know what to do
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny_d View Post
    I called corporate and my store, and they said they "should"be getting more in stock since its still in their system but I have my doubts. I'm bummed because I was going to get this over a kindle fire but now don't know what to do
    Sorry, but there is zero comparison between a Flyer and a Fire other than they both have color screens and a power button.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Unity 2.39

The 7" screen, and cheap price point. Also, I'd mostly use it for multimedia, but the video out abilities are what I really wanted. if you don't root the kindle there is a huge difference, but with gapps on the kindle it would be a good little machine. I still want to find a flyer for 300 or under though

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalgren View Post
    It is sold out at all stores I checked. But the BB website still allows me to add it to my cart and put it on backorder. With time running out for me to find a tablet to give as a gift, it is down to the HTC Flyer and the Toshiba Thrive 7". The Samsung GalaxyTab 7.7 is not coming until 2012.
    I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 on the way to my house and will be selling my Flyer if you're looking for one and don't mind a used one in mint condition. Let me know.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sunny_d View Post
    The 7" screen, and cheap price point. Also, I'd mostly use it for multimedia, but the video out abilities are what I really wanted. if you don't root the kindle there is a huge difference, but with gapps on the kindle it would be a good little machine. I still want to find a flyer for 300 or under though
    I would also keep a look out for the HTC EVO View 4G from Sprint. I got one off ebay last week new in box, no contract, and for only $280. Their basically the same device except the EVO View has a 3G/4G radio, black/dark gray exterior, and some pre-loaded Sprint apps.

I also had the Fire... and while I think it's a great device for the price, I still wanted something more. It did however make me appreciate the 7" form factor.

Another 7" option with a more standard Android experience is the Lenovo IdeaPad A1. It's brand new and a bit hard to find. My local Frys claims to have them in stock for $199 and Lenovo's site is showing it for $249 (16GB), or $219 if you have access to a Corporate Perks account.

The Flyer/EVO View is still a better option if you can fine one IMO, but it's nice to have options.
    Last edited by jd78; 12-06-2011 at 08:12 PM.

New 32GB Evo 3G - $239 - from eBay Deals

I just got one - helluva deal

Update: The Flyer is Back! Best Buy now has guaranteed Christmas Delivery and the Flyer is shipping to stores again. The description still says "Gingerbread".....but the timing is a little interesting. It looks as though HTC might continue to support the Flyer afterall.......

I'm so glad I waited to see if Best Buy would come through. I had my finger on the trigger for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" Plus for $399. But I got what I wanted - the Flyer for $299 at Best Buy. My dad will love it.

And just like that, it is sold out again. I lucked out. I picked up mine two days ago.

So...... It now looks like the Flyer has been completely dropped from the BB website...... 32gb wifi "Views" are sale for 229.00 at other sites..... Cleaning out the remaining stock apparently?