Android Mkt Apps--Some Show; Some Don't

toppinglift

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I have three Android devices running Gingerbread 2.3.4. Two of them are phones and one is the HTC Flyer. Can someone explain to me why I can search the Android Market for apps like Skype, Cluzee, Jeannie, Iris, Vlingo, YouTube Remote and have them appear on a list of downloadable apps in the two phones, but not in the HTC Flyer? I get the following message on the Flyer: "There are no matches in the Android Market for the search." I went to the Amazon Market and found Skype and successfully downloaded and installed it. The Android Market version on the HTC Flyer is 2.3.6. The phones have 3.3.11. Stupid Question: Are the programs not listed because I have an old version of the Market? I thought the Market updated automatically. If not, how do I update it manually? Thanks.

fifthGear

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I've seen this also. I believe that each device is setup by the OEM to filter out things that are imcompatible in the the market. In this way, apps that won't work on a particular device, won't show up when you search the market. The market also does this based on region. For example, French apps won't appear if you're english speaking.

toppinglift

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I've seen this also. I believe that each device is setup by the OEM to filter out things that are imcompatible in the the market. In this way, apps that won't work on a particular device, won't show up when you search the market. The market also does this based on region. For example, French apps won't appear if you're english speaking.

toppinglift

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I suspected that...but then why would the OEM exclude Skype? I've seen a lot of HTC flyer owners talking about Skype on their tablets, and i can download it from the Amazon Market and have it run without problems.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the app developer can also set filters; I know for a short while, Facebook became unavailable to the Flyer because Facebook had set some tablet-related filters since the FB app looked totally janky on the Flyer. With Skype, it could be that Skype thinks there is something on the Flyer that is not fully compatible with their app as currently developed; your guess is as good as mine as to what that is. Could be something as annoying as not being able to get the right pass rate on some random simulation that most of us would never even notice in real life.