A question: Why is no Honeycomb on the Flyer at launch a deal-breaker?

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I like the fact that it is wifi. no mention of 3g or carriers. last thing i want is another contract.

as far as the OS is concerned, i personally don't care. I have eclair on my fascinate and it does everything i want and/or need. I can't imagine sensified gingerbread being a reason as to why i wouldn't purchase the flyer.

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm suprised the Flyer didn't have a dual core. The stylus worried me, because I thought you would need it to use the screen. But thankfully I was corrected. The Flyer looks good and I will check it out.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I am very interested in this... Been excited to see what tablets are coming out, and the 7" size of the Galaxy Tab has always drawn my attention. I travel, and am looking for something that would be good to read a book on, watch a movie, and just play around on the internet with at the hotel and at home watching tv. 7" just seems more portable to me than the 10" tablets coming out. The stylus is an added plus, I have to admit. Being able to jot notes down would take this beyond just an entertainment thing for me...

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
For those who say they won't consider buying an HTC Flyer because it won't have Honeycomb at launch, a few questions:

For me its the opposite. I would consider the Flyer because its not running Honeycomb. To me Honeycomb seems unfinished. Its telephony support is not finished. SD card support is not finished. Several other things seem unfinished. It seems that it is just some fancy home screen animations cobbled together with some scrollable widgets and a couple of multi column apps. Underneath its just Android.

I can tell you from experience with my heavily hacked Galaxy Tab that Froyo works real well on a Tab. I have not seen anything yet in Honeycomb (and I have watched every demo video) that cant be done on my Tab running a 1.4 ghz EX4 kernal and the lastest Euro development ROM (which is 10 times better than the stock ATT ROM). In fact my Tab can make phone calls and it has 48gb's of memory (16 internal + 32 gb Micro SD card). There are several Dev's working on porting Honeycomb to the tab but to be honest I think I am going to wait until its finished. Probably version 3.1.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Please state the features that you require in a tablet that the Flyer will be lacking.

Fragments. That in and of itself is huge. From where I'm sitting, it's one of the two largest updates to honeycomb.
Hardware Acceleration. The other huge update to honeycomb.

Then you have things like the action bar, the impoved bottom notification bar, etc.

Edit: Read through, and the Flyer has no dual core? Well, there goes quite a few of the games I would have enjoyed on it, among other benefits. If I wanted a single core, I'd buy a Nook.

Please state the APIs that you require in a tablet that the Flyer will be lacking.

API's that allow Fragments, Renderscript, and 2D HW acceleration.

Please state the number of times and amount of time you've actually spent with the Flyer.

Poor question, designed to lead the reader on a specific direction. I'll answer it anyway, none. I ask a different question. Does my lack of time with it magically add Fragments and acceleration?

Does it change your opinion any since HTC has said the Flyer will get Honeycomb?

Depends. Will it get honeycomb by April/May or by August/September?

Have you actually used a Honeycomb tablet yet?

Another loaded question. I'll answer it once again with a no, and with another question of my own. If I can already without having gone into the nitty gritty details of honeycomb see 2 major features that 2.3 is missing, how many more will I find when I actually use one?

Note: Have not read any responses yet, wanted to state my unbiased opinion. Edit: Just read through them, and only had one new thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: slbailey1

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I think that the Flyer will "fly" if it comes in under $399 for what it's offering. Honestly, $299 would be incredible, but I'd settle for sub-$400.

I really wish for 7" they would use SLCD or maybe IPS LCD, but not TFT.

Just in case anyone cares, TFT is the technology behind LCD. *IPS, SLCD (IPS), *VA, and TN panels are all TFT panels.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Personally I think this version of Sense is very elegant and it seems to work smoothly. They are making it a more user friendly experience and adding some shine to Android. Yeah once they update to Honeycomb, hopefully the option is there to run that launcher. If not? Well I really like this Desktop-like Sense version, I think it looks awesome and I cannot wait to use it. The average consumer wants something easy to use, and it looking very nice. This fits both of those...

bclapper

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
HTC has been very good about getting updates out so I hardly can worry about waiting too long for it. As for putting Sense over Honeycomb I'm actually pretty excited about this. The Tron look of the pure Honeycomb is kind of ugly to me...

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Please state the features that you require in a tablet that the Flyer will be lacking.

Fragments. That in and of itself is huge. From where I'm sitting, it's one of the two largest updates to honeycomb.

Then you have things like the action bar, the impoved bottom notification bar, etc.

Edit: Read through, and the Flyer has no dual core? Well, there goes quite a few of the games I would have enjoyed on it, among other benefits. If I wanted a single core, I'd buy a Nook.

Please state the APIs that you require in a tablet that the Flyer will be lacking.

Please state the number of times and amount of time you've actually spent with the Flyer.

Poor question, designed to lead the reader on a specific direction. I'll answer it anyway, none. I ask a different question. Does my lack of time with it magically add Fragments and acceleration?

Does it change your opinion any since HTC has said the Flyer will get Honeycomb?

Another loaded question. I'll answer it once again with a no, and with another question of my own. If I can already without having gone into the nitty gritty details of honeycomb see 2 major features that 2.3 is missing, how many more will I find when I actually use one?

Note: Have not read any responses yet, wanted to state my unbiased opinion. Edit: Just read through them, and only had one new thought.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I'll add in that I have used Sense, and while I like it on my Incredible, I don't want that same experience on my tablet. I'm not waiting to see how HTC jams Sense into Honeycomb. 2.2, Sense and single core are very similar to my phone and I'm looking for a different tablet experience. I also look forward to getting updates fast, although I give HTC credit for being generally speedy with updates.

Reactions: slbailey1

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Great post!

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
My biggest issue is that the Sense based UI is going to be different than any other and it's features will not be supported in the Android SDK. That means any developer that want's to take advantage of the Sense UI must download HTC's extension, learn them, and support them. This is bound to results in apps that are not as well integrated as those based on the Android 3.0 UI SDK features.

Also, it will may mean a smaller set of tablet apps which are available or that work properly on the Flyer.

slbailey1

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
The main reasons for me are:
1. I love the look of the UI and how it operates.
2. I love that it has no buttons.
3. I love the types of APIs available to developers to make beautiful apps - the main one is the fragment API.
4. I'm looking for a dual-core processor.

When I first saw the 3D transition between the HTC Flyer home screens, I sat back in my chair and cringed. It reminded me of the Cube that was on the HTC Sprint Touch. I liked the Cube on my HTC Sprint Touch, but it just don't look right on the HTC Flyer.

After seeing all the demos of the Honeycomb UI, any tablet I buy will be a Android 3.0 Google Experience tablet.

techh10

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
see its not the fact that its not honeycomb, but that its 7 inches...the king on the block of 7 inch tablets is the nook color...im looking for 10 inch tablets

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Although I like this device and htc i would prefer to get one with honeycomb out of the box rather than a update. What are they going to do with the captive buttons once honeycomb is in installed...now you will have a device with a bunch of useless buttons on it. I guess they have to make use of them some how.

Stocklone

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Why I am Buying It

The whole reason I am getting this tablet is to take it to work and use it in the research lab I work in to record notes/ideas/etc during research or meetings. It will also be handy to use with my thesis research. This tablet does exactly what I want and is the size I want. I have a feeling after I bring this in, I will see some other people pick one up. The hands-on videos look like HTC is trying to make this the ultimate note taking device. You can basically mark up anything at any given time then save it and make it available from any other device with Evernote. And the audio sync capabilities makes me want it even more. I don't see how that is not seen as freaking awesome. I love what they have done with the software. If you are buying this as a general purpose tablet to use it like an iPad then please go look elsewhere. You will probably be better off with a 10" tablet that is more slated towards entertainment. So quit hating.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Lol welcome to technology people, step right up be the first to try a unique tablet.
Plus Sense with Honey come FTW, it wont take long HTC has been playing with it for a while now don't kid yourself to think they didnt offer HTC to be the first 3.0 tablet like they did MOTO. HTC has a winner with sense and there gonna stay with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon