Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,156 Global Posts

Default A question: Why is no Honeycomb on the Flyer at launch a deal-breaker?

For those who say they won't consider buying an HTC Flyer because it won't have Honeycomb at launch, a few questions:

• Please state the features that you require in a tablet that the Flyer will be lacking.
    • Please state the APIs that you require in a tablet that the Flyer will be lacking.
    • Please state the number of times and amount of time you've actually spent with the Flyer.
    • Does it change your opinion any since HTC has said the Flyer will get Honeycomb?
    • Have you actually used a Honeycomb tablet yet?

My points are, you need to try the thing before shooting it down. And worrying about having the "current" version of Android is just setting yourself up for an ulcer.

HTC's done something interesting here, and as far as tablets go, the Flyer is different than any other Honeycomb devices we've seen -- AND THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
    Thanked by 3:
    Banned

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Good points, except it's hard to say whether or not you should purchase a device when you can't even try the OS on it and see what it's like running it before you buy it.

ROM
    OMFGB Nighlies

For me it is because Google has said that Honeycomb is the only version of Android optimized for tablets. Therefore, HTC's version of Gingerbread is going to be very proprietary and will not play nice with others. This is the ultimate expression of fragmentation. Who would want to make apps specifically for it? If it was a phone, sure, your apps will work the same on other phones. If it had Honeycomb, your apps will work fine with other Honeycomb tablets. Instead, it is like the Galaxy Tab and will need apps optimized for it specifically. That is the only reason I am not excited for it.

Personally, the Flyer is exactly what I need. I don't care what version it launches with, not to mention if I really really just HAVE to have Honeycomb, Im sure XDA will come through for me ;p Not to mention it will be getting an upgrade

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stocks the best!

I think it's great the way it is, people assume that googles software is from God and only want the new stuff because they think it's the best, they are caught up in specs and shiny and really don't know what they want. With all the new goodies everyone wants to walk into a room with there "god tablet" and show off. That's all people want is another ego boost, half the people who buy tablets don't use them for their real funtionality, they just sit on the couch and comsume media. The point is people just want to feel content that they have the best out there, and in the real world, that's just not true.

Global Posts
    1,328 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

I think that the Flyer will "fly" if it comes in under $399 for what it's offering. Honestly, $299 would be incredible, but I'd settle for sub-$400.

I really wish for 7" they would use SLCD or maybe IPS LCD, but not TFT.

Still one of the better tablets even though it's not running Honeycomb.
    Banned

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts

Also, I refuse to buy any tablet that won't support Netflix. This includes the XOOM

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

I am cool with the features Gingerbread provides but I'll sure miss some of the hardware acceleration and graphics framework improvements that are coming with Honeycomb
    And no my opinion didn't change since I heard that the Flyer will get Honeycomb, the price tag matters more.

I trust Honeycomb will come in a timely manner since HTC has been one of the better manufacturers to bring updates. This is almost like a plus to me actually because it will be nice to own it for a few months and then get a big update like Honeycomb and it will feel new again. Almost being the key word there, I'd rather see it at launch in reality but the point is it's not a deal-breaker for me at all.

Honeycomb would be sweet, but HTC sells the "Sense" experience, and I think that they will have issues to port that to Honeycomb. Really interested to see how they solve this. Not even Samsung has their TouchWiz (that they adore to force people to use) on they're Tab 10.1

Frank

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by botero View Post
    For me it is because Google has said that Honeycomb is the only version of Android optimized for tablets. Therefore, HTC's version of Gingerbread is going to be very proprietary and will not play nice with others. This is the ultimate expression of fragmentation. Who would want to make apps specifically for it? If it was a phone, sure, your apps will work the same on other phones. If it had Honeycomb, your apps will work fine with other Honeycomb tablets. Instead, it is like the Galaxy Tab and will need apps optimized for it specifically. That is the only reason I am not excited for it.
    Isn't it just the UI that is optimized for tablets? The actual underpinnings of 2.4 and 3.0 the same?
    DustoMan

My Apps
    jxc

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

I think HTC saying that they didn't have time to sensefy honeycomb is bs, everyone else has honeycomb stock so why couldn't HTC do the same and just make better hardware then the competition, the problem is that they can't so they want to slap sense on there to stand out. I have an EVO and love sense better than stock 2.2 but honey comb seems to be nice the way it is. Also the flyer is lacking in hardware compared to the xoom so why bother getting the if it isn't priced for much less.....and a stylus...come on, that's a joke, I thought we were past the stylus era. I am interested to see how honeycomb looks when HTC sensefys it but they shouldn't be selling a civic when they will upgrade it to a camaro later. In my opinion.
    Thanked by:

HTC's done something interesting here, and as far as tablets go, the Flyer is different than any other Honeycomb devices we've seen -- AND THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
    I agree that they have done something interesting and different. I commend on that point. But its not for me. If this is priced at $299 I might grab one for Nephew to play Angry Birds on. But I never have liked Sense UI....In fact I don't get the mass appeal of it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and even though Honeycomb missing is a small reason I wouldn't buy this tablet....its even worse they added an overlay. Wish they would of brought two tablets....This one and a 10in ish stock.

As for ALL LOOK THE SAME comment...Isn't it the point of Android that we have customization options that others do not. I haven't played with Honeycomb so maybe its different with this. But I know that even if mine and my friends phone are both LG Optimus.....Once you turn that screen on they are very different. So I would imagine that HC did not hinder the customization of Android so even if these look the same now it will mirror the personality of the user.

How many ways can you rly make a "tablet"?

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    I think HTC saying that they didn't have time to sensefy honeycomb is bs, everyone else has honeycomb stock so why couldn't HTC do the same and just make better hardware then the competition, the problem is that they can't so they want to slap sense on there to stand out. I have an EVO and love sense better than stock 2.2 but honey comb seems to be nice the way it is. Also the flyer is lacking in hardware compared to the xoom so why bother getting the if it isn't priced for much less.....and a stylus...come on, that's a joke, I thought we were past the stylus era. I am interested to see how honeycomb looks when HTC sensefys it but they shouldn't be selling a civic when they will upgrade it to a camaro later. In my opinion.
    The stylus is one of the main reasons I'm interested in this... along with the smaller size. I don't understand why people think the stylus is such a lame thing, typing on an iPad sucks.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
    Isn't it just the UI that is optimized for tablets? The actual underpinnings of 2.4 and 3.0 the same?
    Not entirely. 2.4 more or less borrows the under-the-hood stuff from Honeycomb, so it's kind of in reverse. Both 2.4 and Honeycomb will have full support for multi-core processors, but again Honeycomb was first to this.

Honeycomb also has some very specific API's for Tablet optimization.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

1) Google said the future of Android tablets will be Honeycomb.
    2) We can only determine if we want a device by which OS it is shipped with. Too many manufacturers are not upgrading their 'Legacy' devices even though the hardware is capable.
    3) I know you are playing devil's advocate but I hope the carriers and the manufacturers don't start thinking like this.
    4) Looks like a great device but I don't understand why the manufacturers can't leave stock Android alone and just come up with special widgets and themes for their devices.

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

THANK YOU PHIL!

i mean i couldnt get over how many people were ****ting on this this morning. i actually think HTC did a fantastic job, with all of the announcements.

I'm buying this.

I don't need some powerhouse because i have a laptop that does that. so if ALL the tablets announced running android had the same specs as the xoom and the tab 10.1 then there would be a massive void because not everyone who wants an android tablet wants to spend that kind of money (me). so having something like this, which i'm assuming will be much less considering its not loaded with all new tech that costs a fortune at the moment, is perfect for someone like me who needs something on a slow sunday at work to putter around with.

and ill say it now, for the reason i stated above, this will outsell the xoom or the tab.
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram @EvanR32

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

I want one - HTC makes good hardware. I never understood all the obsession over having the latest OS version.

Price will be the determining factor of course.
    HTC Evo 4G | Playstation 3 (60 GB) | Texas Longhorns | San Antonio Spurs | Dallas Cowboys

ROM
    stock Android 4.02

If it were running stock honeycomb how could they get there new movie and game service on it, wouldnt of had to had some kind of ui customization to get those to work on honeycomb?

Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

I like the fact that it is wifi. no mention of 3g or carriers. last thing i want is another contract.

as far as the OS is concerned, i personally don't care. I have eclair on my fascinate and it does everything i want and/or need. I can't imagine sensified gingerbread being a reason as to why i wouldn't purchase the flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by durangojim View Post
    Also, I refuse to buy any tablet that won't support Netflix. This includes the XOOM
    You may have to wait as while or go to apple as Qualcomm won't even commit to what chips/phones will be able to run netflix. They basically said it was up the the phone manufacturers to request it as an additional feature

Android-powered LG Revolution caught streaming Netflix at MWC (video) -- Engadget

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by original00 View Post
    You may have to wait as while or go to apple as Qualcomm won't even commit to what chips/phones will be able to run netflix. They basically said it was up the the phone manufacturers to request it as an additional feature

Android-powered LG Revolution caught streaming Netflix at MWC (video) -- Engadget
    Most of the articles I had read stated anything with a Qualcomm processor would be supported.

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts

I'm suprised the Flyer didn't have a dual core. The stylus worried me, because I thought you would need it to use the screen. But thankfully I was corrected. The Flyer looks good and I will check it out.

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    ROM
    CND 1.3.3

I am very interested in this... Been excited to see what tablets are coming out, and the 7" size of the Galaxy Tab has always drawn my attention. I travel, and am looking for something that would be good to read a book on, watch a movie, and just play around on the internet with at the hotel and at home watching tv. 7" just seems more portable to me than the 10" tablets coming out. The stylus is an added plus, I have to admit. Being able to jot notes down would take this beyond just an entertainment thing for me...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast