HTC Flyer Pre-Order Starts Sunday 4/24/11

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
So, do we call Best Buy to pre-order? I've never pre-ordered from BB before but definitely want to for the Flyer.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
You could call and pre-order since Best Buy is CLOSED today, now hows that for stupid. Yes its Easter I know that, but its stupid to announce a pre-order start date on a major holiday you are closed on. I was out and there were stores open, but not the malls or stand alone Best Buy's. They should have announced the pre-order date as 4-25-11.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I didn't even think they'd be closed today for some reason.....LOL

I guess we would call tomorrow when they're actually open?

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I've not found info as to when/where the pen is to be available, yapkuen; I surmise that the pen could be what has so lonnnng delayed the Flyer . . .

(Also, I can't imagine that the pen actually will not be included in the Flyer box.)

Another question I have regards the specs provided by BB; these surely can't be true but I hope they are true: downloadable ringtones, voice-activated dialing, etcetera, which seem to imply phone capabilities in the Flyer.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've not found info as to when/where the pen is to be available, yapkuen; I surmise that the pen could be what has so lonnnng delayed the Flyer . . .

(Also, I can't imagine that the pen actually will not be included in the Flyer box.)

Another question I have regards the specs provided by BB; these surely can't be true but I hope they are true: downloadable ringtones, voice-activated dialing, etcetera, which seem to imply phone capabilities in the Flyer.

I would've hoped that the pen would be in the box as well, but all of the more recent information I've read seems to suggest that the pen is optional and sold separately. It's certainly not included in the list of things in the box provided by Best Buy.

The phone stuff certainly is intriguing. The cynic in me wonders if some Best Buy employee didn't just do a hasty copy/paste job from another tablet or phone (perhaps the Dell Streak).

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, yapkuen, could've been a possible hasty copy/paste job; it is twice done--on the specs tab and on the overview tab.

Although I pre-ordered mine online about 12:06 a.m., I also went to the local BB about 12noon today to inquire about the expected store delivery date but the employees knew nothing about the Flyer--not even that it was to be available for pre-order today. I had hoped to pre-order one at the store too and then cancel my online order . . . but nada.

Re: the pen . . .
I surely do hope SOMEone at BB is mistaken!

adamm44

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I pre ordered mine at BB in Alabama at 12PM today. I only had to give them a $50 deposit. Only one person in the store new that the flyer was available for pre order today. They said that it would be about a month before it would be in.

Reactions: hummingbirdhill

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The wifi-only is from BB and is 16; the 32 is 3G or 4G (I haven't noticed which) from a specific carrier.

4G (WiMAX) from Sprint, I believe, where it will be sold under the name HTC EVO View.

Also, on the pen issue, I stumbled across this first-look review from TabletPCReview.com, which claims they were given a pre-release unit in finalized packaging, and lo and behold, the "finalized packaging" includes a slot for the pen -- so hopefully, Best Buy will be shipping these things with pen in the box. The review does say that Sprint plans to sell the pen separately from the EVO View, so there's another reason to get WiFi only from BB.

EDIT: Forgot the link. http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2181&news=HTC+Flyer

Last edited:

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
4G (WiMAX) from Sprint, I believe, where it will be sold under the name HTC EVO View.

Also, on the pen issue, I stumbled across this first-look review from TabletPCReview.com, which claims they were given a pre-release unit in finalized packaging, and lo and behold, the "finalized packaging" includes a slot for the pen -- so hopefully, Best Buy will be shipping these things with pen in the box. The review does say that Sprint plans to sell the pen separately from the EVO View, so there's another reason to get WiFi only from BB.

EDIT: Forgot the link. HTC Flyer First Look

Thanks, yapkuen, for the TabletPCReview clue (which also states that the Flyer cannot be used as a phone). What a positive review! And I'm relieved to know that a (white) case, as well as the pen, is in the Flyer box (but not in the View box).

Now, if we could only get our hands-on sooner than May 22-27 . . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37