Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Poll - Will You Pay the $600 Best Buy Price for the HTC Flyer?

So at this point it is official and Best Buy will be charging extra for the digital stylus, which will push the price beyond $600 including tax and shipping. So are you willing to pay this price for the HTC Flyer? Letís hear the forumís opinion.

My Vote is No.
    IT Service Professional - I Just Need A Device To Be Productive

ROM
    Stock

Yupp....unfortunately....don't really care though. It is the only tablet I have liked this much, others have all been meh

I'm toying with the idea of buying a Fujitsu Lifebook T580 stylus to see if it works with the Flyer. Fujitsu sells it for like $22, and reportedly it uses the same N-Trig DuoSense technology as the Flyer. I'm a little hung up on the fact that it appears to only have one button instead of two, so I may not do it.

I'm still on the fence as to whether to abandon my pre-order and spend the $50 gift card on a video game or something.

According to BB for Business, Superior Communications makes the Flyer Scribe pen. Superior Communications site has this description w/sku:

37034BBR - Scribe Stylus Pen, Silver, Includes One AAAA Battery, HTC Branded
    SKU# 88282VRP
    Features
    o Digital pen to ink on photos, notes and screen captures
    o Allows you to share favorites with your social networks
    Benefits
    o Allows for maximum use of your HTC tablet
    Instructions
    1. Refer to manufacturer instructions for proper use.
    Product Line
    OEM
    --------------------------------------------
    Isn't an OEM an original equipment manufacturer? I always thought OEM products (software, etcetera) are packaged with the main item. Am I incorrect?
    --------------------------------------------
    Superior Communications | Experience. The Difference.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

So, I'm uncertain as to whether I'd pay additionally for the Flyer AND Scribe pen . . . I think I'll wait to see what's in the Flyer box . . . Perhaps BB will have a Flyer instore that I can experiment with prior to opening my own box.

Why is only BB for Business selling the pen? Could it be that the Flyer's marketers think only business users will use the pen? If so, it's a very wrong marketing assumption. As a college professor of writing, I would have a huge use for the pen.

And just maybe someone else will also sell the pen. I would very much prefer to purchase the pen somewhere other than BB; options are always better than nonchoices (is that a word?). Competition tends to lower prices . . .
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

Global Posts
    698 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by S Prime View Post
    So at this point it is official and Best Buy will be charging extra for the digital stylus, which will push the price beyond $600 including tax and shipping. So are you willing to pay this price for the HTC Flyer? Letís hear the forumís opinion.

My Vote is No.
    I'm still interested in the Flyer with the pen. I love my Galaxy Tab (size) so I think the Flyer would be an upgrade to replace that. I've had good luck with HTC products so I plan to check out the Flyer. I think the price is a little steep but still worth checking it out. Who knows maybe I will find more uses for a tablet using the pen.

No way. $500 was already too much for that size and those specs, not to mention no honeycomb at launch. $600 is absurd.

lucky for me i dont have that prob, im buying from a danish internet store and it will come with the pen, really cant see why BB dont sell the pen in the box also, and i thing 80 dollars for the pen is way out of line, but in the end i would probably have bought it anyway, if it wasnt in the box tho...

Quote Originally Posted by hmackenz View Post
    No way. $500 was already too much for that size and those specs, not to mention no honeycomb at launch. $600 is absurd.
    Agreed... I am canceling my BB pre-order. You can get the 16gb TF with keyboard for less than the Flyer with pen.

Sorry BB and HTC.. you lost my $$$$$. Thats just my personal decision, others have their own and I respect their choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik-jyden View Post
    lucky for me i dont have that prob, im buying from a danish internet store and it will come with the pen, really cant see why BB dont sell the pen in the box also, and i thing 80 dollars for the pen is way out of line, but in the end i would probably have bought it anyway, if it wasnt in the box tho...
    Out of curiosity, Teknik, how much is the Danish supplier charging?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Default It heats up.

Quote Originally Posted by yapkuen View Post
    Cnet had some interesting comments posted to their article on the stylus being sold separately, especially the comments from the UK, where they say the stylus was originally slated to be sold separately and that HTC had backed down on that. It does not say if that Flyer was WiFi only, but it is notable that HTC had reversed their original decision. The other thing that caught my eye while following the UK link the article stated the all of the news services in the US were on fire over the controversy. Honestly I am cancelling my order next week if there is no change and waiting on something new, right now I just have a bad taste in my mouth for HTC and Best Buy.

Link:http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20060538-251.html
    Last edited by S Prime; 05-07-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Forgot Link
    Thanked by:

Extremely well stated, S Prime.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

Quote Originally Posted by yapkuen View Post
    MobilityShop - Smartphones og tilbehÝr is charging 5499 danish crowns thats about 737 euro....so expensive, but i get all in the package, nothing with remember to buy pen and so on

MobilityShop - Smartphones og tilbehÝr is charging 5499 danish crowns thats about 737 euro....so expensive, but i get all in the package, nothing with remember to buy pen and so on
    Ah, that's also the 3G version with 32GB of memory, right? Nice.

yeah thats the big one, the wifi only is 4499 danish crowns

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts

I'm still on the fence. With most of my work involving math and/or music, having something to write with is important for me. I'm sick of lugging around a tablet PC. But I'm bummed about this, for sure.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

I would consider it IF it had Honeycomb, given that it does not it make my descision to pass for me.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

yeah thats the big one, the wifi only is 4499 danish crowns
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that $868.64 in US dollars?

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    I would consider it IF it had Honeycomb, given that it does not it make my descision to pass for me.
    What reason do you want HC??

With the scribe and Sense, honeycomb at this point offers nothing more than what it already has comparably
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by LowFire View Post

With the scribe and Sense, honeycomb at this point offers nothing more than what it already has comparably
    Lol you're joking right? There are tons of articles out there on this topic but bottom lin Honeycomb is designed for larger screens Ecclair, Froyo and Gingerbread aren't. Go into a verizon store or a best buy mobile and play with the xoom. Then try the Galaxy Tab. World of difference.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

LowFire, I agree Honeycomb was not a compelling issue, but the scribe technology was, even though we have not seen it in real life. I have cancelled my pre-order with the price tag surpassing $600 and will wait and see if the technology is worth the hefty price once they are available in stores for testing or the reviews show the value. I find it interesting that HTC keeps saying that the stylus is extra when purchased from Best Buy and wonder if there will be other options down the road. I will look forward to your reviews.
    Last edited by S Prime; 05-09-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: text

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    Lol you're joking right? There are tons of articles out there on this topic but bottom lin Honeycomb is designed for larger screens Ecclair, Froyo and Gingerbread aren't. Go into a verizon store or a best buy mobile and play with the xoom. Then try the Galaxy Tab. World of difference.
    Have played with a Xoom and several non-Honeycomb tablets; not seeing this "world" you're referring to. Sure, the new holographic UI in Honeycomb looks nifty, but that's about it. I'm sure just dumping pure Froyo/Gingerbread onto a tablet looks bad, but no tablet maker is doing that -- every one of them is building their own UI on top, and that gives them plenty of opportunity to tweak for the larger screen. Plus with Honeycomb, you get to have fun playing with the lack of SD card support and the obnoxious Media Transfer Protocol for USB file transfers.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by S Prime View Post
    LowFire, I agree Honeycomb was not a compelling issue, but the scribe technology was, even though we have not seen it in real life. I have cancelled my pre-order with the price tag surpassing $600 and will wait and see if the technology is worth the hefty price once they are available in stores for testing or the reviews show the value. I find it interesting that HTC keeps saying that the stylus is extra when purchased from Best Buy and wonder if there will be other options down the road. I will look forward to your reviews.

I look forwrd to it as well, but I had to cancel mine as well since I won't know if I will be here or in another country

And VZWRocks, aong with reasons stated above, I also said AT THIS POINT it is COMPARABLE

HTC already said HC is coming, and I haven't seen where they don't deliver on their promise on things like that
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

I look forwrd to it as well, but I had to cancel mine as well since I won't know if I will be here or in another country

And VZWRocks, aong with reasons stated above, I also said AT THIS POINT it is COMPARABLE

HTC already said HC is coming, and I haven't seen where they don't deliver on their promise on things like that
    MEH,I have decided to play the HTC/BB game having canceled and resubmitting my order moving me down the shipping list and hopefully allowing others to test the technology before I receive/open the box. Unfortunately the market created by the public embrace of the overpriced I pad has created an overpriced market. We are a niche group and may not reach the market share that HTC/BB expects, allowing us to feel really stupid if the marketing fails and the pricing scheme collapse. If I have chosen to buy into a false technology then I have a business expense which serves as an e-mail, internet, e-reader appliance, but without the added expense of a digital stylus, as I will not buy it without it proven. We are as the early e-reader adopters, buying into technology that will reach an acceptable pricing level though supplier competition over a period of time. I am not happy, but at least I will have company, in you.

Ahhhh, S Prime, I am laughing (so as not to cry); the tech industry depends on users such as you and me . . .
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast