Got my Flyer Tucson!

fluffynotfat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Read on android central that best buy was selling it today left in the middle of watching the new Pirates movie. I love htc more than Johnny depp :)

After about a day with my Flyer it's safe to say that it's going to become an integral part of my work and school life. The Flyer is a solid, well built offering from HTC that feels substantial in my hands. I just love the feel of it.

The first thing I did was install swift key and netflix. After that I learned my way around my Flyer. The stylus takes a while to get used to, but after you get a hang of it you will be using it a lot. I already scribbled over emails, pictures, webpages and even a mandatory discussion for a math class. The reaction from people has been mixed, ranging from oh neat, you show off to what in the world?! I for one feel like I was able to get my point across more efficiently and saved myself a lot of time otherwise spent using a laborious equation editor. My math teacher is OK with this, but I expect other students will complain soon and ask that I do my work the old fashioned time consuming way :) Overall the flyer is excellent for note taking integrating audio /video/picture very nicely.

I use ADW on my Evo so adjusting to Sense has been a learning experience. For now I'm going to enjoy Sense on the Flyer because HTC has done a marvelous job. Everything is smooth as silk. I will eventually opt for something other than Sense because that is just my personal preference. I find I'm in love with the weather animations and various widgets like Friendstream etc.

I have been using the Flyer in portrait mode for scribbling, however it hurts my hands to type in portrait especially when I'm holding the Flyer up. I've been trying to get myself to type holding it in landscape. Also I wish there was a kick stand! I don't know whether this would even be possible without taking away from the Flyers cool factor or not. I guess I will have to find a case which will prop it up for me. I was aghast at the horrible feel of the sleeves being sold at best buy and am currently using an older Golla sleeve I have while searching for a more appropriate sleeve/case for the Flyer.

Overall the hardware tweaks like camera lens protection and the speakers are awesome. You can tell HTC is on top of their game and have put a great deal of thought into designing this thing. They have added several nice touches to the software like turning off radios when not in use to conserve battery. I have been using my Flyer constantly since around 5 am and its at 80% battery after six or seven seven hours. I have watched about an hour of netflix, heavily browsed, uploaded documents, emailed, taken voice recordings pictures and video and listened to music. At this rate my Evo would have been completely discharged. Also this is a sturdy little tablet. This morning my 155 lb great dane had his paw and considerable weight on the Flyer when he climbed into bed and it didn't break! I know how much force a single paw exerts because I regularly get stepped on by my dog so I was kind of freaked out and amazed that it's still in perfect working order :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kitster

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Double awesome :)

play with it all night and let us know what you think in the forums tomorrow!
I'll live through you and Phil until I break down and buy one lol.

fluffynotfat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not a good idea to tick off the Mrs. You should convince her why your household needs one.... It's educational, can't lug around a 3 lbs laptop or its good for the environment... :)

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I won't be able to get to BB to get my box till about 4:00ish tomorrow after an all-day meeting. :( But I've seen pics and vids of the white pouch with a loop for the Scribe pen on several different websites---and then while ago I realized the pouch isn't listed as "in the box" on the BB website. I do believe we Americans have certainly received the raw end of this deal---and are flying low. :(

Please, FNF, tell us your impressions of the Flyer!

fluffynotfat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't fret hummingbirdhill. I believe after you convert what the Europeans are paying even with us being hit with the additional cost of the stylus, we are still getting a better deal stateside. You'll feel that the flyer is worth its cost when you get it in your hands :)

suzi

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have swiftkey and netflix on my EVO, but they are coming up for the flyer when I search the android market. How did you find them? Same for Google Voice - anyone find it to download yet? Thanks for any and all advice here!

Bigum1969

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I have swiftkey and netflix on my EVO, but they are coming up for the flyer when I search the android market. How did you find them? Same for Google Voice - anyone find it to download yet? Thanks for any and all advice here!

I have the same questions.

fluffynotfat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I installed SwiftKey beta using vip access directly from their website, as for netflix you have to root your device, find the apk file floating around the Internet and install it. Make sure to authorize installation from unknown sources in your application settings.

suzi

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
oh - thanks! here is a Site. I am not having good luck with it,but I am also not rooted. forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1076150

fsv57

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Read on android central that best buy was selling it today left in the middle of watching the new Pirates movie. I love htc more than Johnny depp :)

After about a day with my Flyer it's safe to say that it's going to become an integral part of my work and school life. The Flyer is a solid, well built offering from HTC that feels substantial in my hands. I just love the feel of it.

The first thing I did was install swift key and netflix. After that I learned my way around my Flyer. The stylus takes a while to get used to, but after you get a hang of it you will be using it a lot. I already scribbled over emails, pictures, webpages and even a mandatory discussion for a math class. The reaction from people has been mixed, ranging from oh neat, you show off to what in the world?! I for one feel like I was able to get my point across more efficiently and saved myself a lot of time otherwise spent using a laborious equation editor. My math teacher is OK with this, but I expect other students will complain soon and ask that I do my work the old fashioned time consuming way :) Overall the flyer is excellent for note taking integrating audio /video/picture very nicely.

I use ADW on my Evo so adjusting to Sense has been a learning experience. For now I'm going to enjoy Sense on the Flyer because HTC has done a marvelous job. Everything is smooth as silk. I will eventually opt for something other than Sense because that is just my personal preference. I find I'm in love with the weather animations and various widgets like Friendstream etc.

I have been using the Flyer in portrait mode for scribbling, however it hurts my hands to type in portrait especially when I'm holding the Flyer up. I've been trying to get myself to type holding it in landscape. Also I wish there was a kick stand! I don't know whether this would even be possible without taking away from the Flyers cool factor or not. I guess I will have to find a case which will prop it up for me. I was aghast at the horrible feel of the sleeves being sold at best buy and am currently using an older Golla sleeve I have while searching for a more appropriate sleeve/case for the Flyer.

Overall the hardware tweaks like camera lens protection and the speakers are awesome. You can tell HTC is on top of their game and have put a great deal of thought into designing this thing. They have added several nice touches to the software like turning off radios when not in use to conserve battery. I have been using my Flyer constantly since around 5 am and its at 80% battery after six or seven seven hours. I have watched about an hour of netflix, heavily browsed, uploaded documents, emailed, taken voice recordings pictures and video and listened to music. At this rate my Evo would have been completely discharged. Also this is a sturdy little tablet. This morning my 155 lb great dane had his paw and considerable weight on the Flyer when he climbed into bed and it didn't break! I know how much force a single paw exerts because I regularly get stepped on by my dog so I was kind of freaked out and amazed that it's still in perfect working order :)

I just got my Flyer today. How did you get Netflix on yours? I can't find the download.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't fret hummingbirdhill. I believe after you convert what the Europeans are paying even with us being hit with the additional cost of the stylus, we are still getting a better deal stateside. You'll feel that the flyer is worth its cost when you get it in your hands :)

I do believe you're right!

Posted from my handy-dandy eye-candy Flyer.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan