1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sketchbook Pro Mobile for Htc Flyer?

Hey Guys, I got to test out the HTC Flyer at my local best buy and I was surprisingly impressed with the device. I got to try out the stylus features, like the default screenshot note taking feature and notes app. It was more responsive than I imagined based on the reviews and videos I looked at. Now, one think I did notice over and over again was that the stylus is used ONLY for drawing, and whenever I tried to tap on any button, the hardware notified me that I had to use my finger. So on this note, I was wondering if anyone who already bought the HTC Flyer can try something for me. Could you download and load the Sketchbook Mobile app by the developer Autodesk. And let me know if I can use the stylus to draw on the app. If this works, the HTC Flyer is a definite buy for me.

BTW, for those who have expressed that the stylus sensitivity is only two stages, I disagree. If you use the flat brush, i believe it was 2nd to the far left. And choose either the thinnest or 2nd thinnest brush size, you will be able to see a fairly good range of pressure sensitivity, at least 4-5 stages. Definitely not anywhere close to a wacom tablet, but passable for the average user.

My last request and question. Once you take a screenshot and note all over the screenshot and it saves to your notes application. Is their a way to view the screenshot in full screen mode, as opposed to the thumbnail view shown by default in the notes app? I tried tapping and holding with both finger and stylus, and coudlnt figure it out in my short time with the Flyer at Best Buy.

Thanks!

Wrap-up
    First Impressions: Impressed.
    Funny thing, the bestbuy employees think the flyer comes with the stylus.
    Interesting note, the bestbuy demo unit DOES come with the stylus in the box! But the versions sold to the customers, DO NOT. Strange. I know this because I saw them pull out the stylus from their HTC Flyer demo unit box myself.

Unfortunately Sketchbook App doesn't work with the stylus, all it does is the usual snapshot. I shot an email to Autodesk to see if they will implement some update for the flyer to use the stylus.

I don't think any app released prior to the Flyer will support the pen input as of right now; the developers will need to get the pen APIs from HTC first, which HTC has said they will make available at some point.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Wow thanks for the quick responses.

Can you also tell me if the screenshots can be viewed in full screen mode?

So far when you save a screenshot, the file is saved into the notes section . When you view the file, the screenshot is pretty small without being able to zoom. I'm trying to figure out how I could though.

Edit

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts

I will take a look as well. I did notice that if you click "share" the page, it attaches as a jpg that I was able to view in full screen through a variety of applications including, but not limited to, attaching to an email and then launching the attached file before sending, but there were other ways to preview it through sharing as well.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

Default STYLUS - flip it over

I read this on another forum, if you flip the stylus over, the back works on the capacitive screen.

I have been using it with Sketchbook and it works really well. the only problem is that you have to hold the stylus at a near 90degree angle- it is not very rounded, and the edges do not register on the screen.

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts

And i have to say that I do like the fact that the pen doesn't press the buttons because it allows me to use my fingers to move things while holding the pen and there is no question of what I'm requesting the nite or device to do when I touch it with the pen or my finger...no stray pen marks from my finger and no accidental movements or taps of buttons based on me touching it with the pen.
    Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by randomprandom View Post
    I read this on another forum, if you flip the stylus over, the back works on the capacitive screen.

I have been using it with Sketchbook and it works really well. the only problem is that you have to hold the stylus at a near 90degree angle- it is not very rounded, and the edges do not register on the screen.
    that's pretty interesting, but it becomes nothing more than a standard stylus on the ipad then. It be cool if it could be pressure sensitivity, for programs like sketchbook mobile :<

Btw has anyone figured out how to view screenshots in full screen yet?

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

PDF viewer and Polaris Office work with the pen in addition to notes. All else I have found so far is screenshot only. PDF viewer will allow you to save marking to and will read on other devices like a regular pdf. Unfortunately, marking up a word doc in Polaris--the markings do not show up in office on my mac. I will try to figure out if it can as it is very nice to mark up word docs if I can get them to someone else in some form.

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by imajaenation View Post

Btw has anyone figured out how to view screenshots in full screen yet?

The only way I found was through the Gallery. I was wondering the same thing if you could view it full size in the notes app.

Quote Originally Posted by randomprandom View Post

I removed the capacitive rubber tip from my old Pogo stylus and stretched it over the battery cap. It cushions the screen from the metal end and keeps my battery cap in place.
    I also fashioned a finger grip on the writing end as it was a bit slick to hold on to, as well as a clip to secure it in my pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by leaddawg View Post
    I removed the capacitive rubber tip from my old Pogo stylus and stretched it over the battery cap. It cushions the screen from the metal end and keeps my battery cap in place.
    I also fashioned a finger grip on the writing end as it was a bit slick to hold on to, as well as a clip to secure it in my pocket!
    Nice! I was thinking about doing something similiar. Waiting for my Cosmonaut from Kickstarter- maybe I'll sacrifice it to work with the stylus