Uh-oh, a stuck icon on a home screen :(

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually, a calendar icon jumped on a home screen when my finger slipped within an hour of unboxing.

It's plain white with these words on it: No upcoming calendar events
and it uses 25% of the screen space.

It works like a widget but no matter how hard I push on it (to get it to the trash can below), it won't budge!

Most of the time, the bar at the top that normally turns red when a widget is pressed doesn't appear, but the few times it does appear it's only visible for a split second---not long enough to get the icon halfway to the trash can.

This icon thingy is more like the skeleton of a widget that's only half-there. :(

But it does link to the calendar and accesses the calendar instead of moves toward the trash can . . .

(I successfully set up all of the other homescreens with no probs at all.)

I've downloaded no apps of any kind on this device and haven't even put my contacts and calendar on it yet. (I like to piddle with a new gadget for a few days in case anything is strange/wrong with it, I at least know what didn't cause the issue.)

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, it sounds like a widget gone rogue, but I don't quite know how to fix it.

How much personal stuff have you loaded onto the tablet so far? If it's not much, is a factory reset an option?

Reactions: hummingbirdhill

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement to do what had to be done, YK. I am very sad because after I did a hard reset the Watch couldn't be removed from a homescreen. So, eventually, I did a second hard reset--after which the Watch, the FriendStream, and the MyShelf could not be removed from homescreens. :(

The closest BB that has a Flyer in stock is Little Rock and I hardly have time to drive there today. What a bummer . . .

EDIT: But the rogue calendar icon was gone, of course, after the first reset. I'm beginning to think the prob is in the homescreens . . . Perhaps the glue hardened too long!

Last edited:

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I do believe he was referring to a Factory Reset HBH

To do that, reboot the device, and while it is rebooting, hold the volume down key and keep it held down until you have a new screen come up and you will see options in there for recovery, factory reset, etc

Try to reset the device from there and see if that fixes it.

Note that, that will wipe your device, so pull anything of internal memory that you would want to keep prior to doing that

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I do believe he was referring to a Factory Reset HBH

To do that, reboot the device, and while it is rebooting, hold the volume down key and keep it held down until you have a new screen come up and you will see options in there for recovery, factory reset, etc

Try to reset the device from there and see if that fixes it.

Note that, that will wipe your device, so pull anything of internal memory that you would want to keep prior to doing that

'Twas the factory reset that I did, LF. Sorry I didn't call it that. (I thought hard reset was the same as factory reset, and that the soft reset was the milder reset---But I was raised on HP iPAQs and the technical terms may be different nowadays.)

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
:-[

Yeah, I call them different things too, haha

Soft reset - resetting through the operating system
Hard reset - holding the power button till it turns off and reboot
Factory reset - wiping and resetting to factory defaults

Hopefully you can get it firgured out without having to return it

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
:-[

Yeah, I call them different things too, haha

Soft reset - resetting through the operating system
Hard reset - holding the power button till it turns off and reboot
Factory reset - wiping and resetting to factory defaults

Hopefully you can get it firgured out without having to return it

Yo, the serious reset was the one I did twice via Settings/Storage/Factory data reset. I was startled that, after each reset, the situation worsened! I never heard of that before. I'm honestly very disappointed; however I'm very grateful to know this NOW instead of 31 days after purchase! Even supposed negatives own a positive or three . . . :)

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Wait, so you went into settings and reset it from there?

I was talking about rebooting the phone and getting to a screen like this:

htc-bootloader.jpg

And doing the Factory Reset

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Wait, so you went into settings and reset it from there?

I was talking about rebooting the phone and getting to a screen like this:

htc-bootloader.jpg

And doing the Factory Reset

Oh! HTC User Guide
HTC Flyer - Resetting HTC Flyer
states that either way gets a factory reset . . .

But I just noticed that in "your" method, the User Guide specifies that the "fast reboot" shouldn't be enabled (which it has been). So, I did a third factory reset without the fast boot enabled, but nothing has changed.

I think I'll return it to the nearest BB tomorrow or Saturday and perhaps Memorial Day the Flyers will go on sale for half price! lol :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze