Google showing mobile news site no matter what

bouncing

Feb 28, 2011
kenkinder.com
Is it just me or when you go to news.google.com, do you get the mobile site on the Flyer regardless of whether you have the mobile user agent enabled? On non-Google sites, I'm getting the desktop version of the sites.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or when you go to news.google.com, do you get the mobile site on the Flyer regardless of whether you have the mobile user agent enabled? On non-Google sites, I'm getting the desktop version of the sites.

My Flyer will open news.Google.com but clicking on a link yields that I have the maximum allowed windows open, which I presume is a setting. But if i try to open bestbuy.com I only get the mobile site. I have not found it on other site that shows the mobile version, so i had just ignored it.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
My Flyer will open news.Google.com but clicking on a link yields that I have the maximum allowed windows open, which I presume is a setting. But if i try to open bestbuy.com I only get the mobile site. I have not found it on other site that shows the mobile version, so i had just ignored it.

After a bit of searching, the problem originates from the user agent string. If the website is only set to detect Android in the string it reads your tablet as a mobile device and shows the mobile site. Google says that the string should recognize android + mobile before it activates the mobile site. I think we can look for it to be corrected in web designs as Android Tables become more widely used. This is the Google technical information:

Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Mo? better to also detect ?mobile? user-agent

bouncing

Feb 28, 2011
kenkinder.com
Hmmm. Actually in the user agent string the Flyer sends out,it claims to be Safari. But I do think there is an intermittent bug in Google's code because sometimes it works fine.