Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Adding books to the Flyer's reader

    I have some books in epub format. Where do I copy them on the Flyer so that the built-in reader can find them?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Adding books to the Flyer's reader

    Quote Originally Posted by doctormeat View Post
    I have some books in epub format. Where do I copy them on the Flyer so that the built-in reader can find them?
    I have an "eBooks" folder on my SD card. They imported automatically when I dropped them in there.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Adding books to the Flyer's reader

    FYI- if you don't yet know about it "Calibre" is a great piece of free software for the PC. From the website at http://http://calibre-ebook.com/

    "calibre can convert from a huge number of formats to a huge number of formats. It supports all the major e-book formats. The full list of formats can be found here .

    The conversion engine has lots of powerful features. It can rescale all font sizes, ensuring the output e-book is readable no matter what font sizes the input document uses. It can automatically detect/create book structure, like chapters and Table of Contents. It can insert the book metadata into a "Book Jacket" at the start of the book."

    I converted a lot of help documents from work into ePub format. They are much easier to read in the Reader app than in the PDF Viewer.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Adding books to the Flyer's reader

    Quote Originally Posted by doctormeat View Post
    I have some books in epub format. Where do I copy them on the Flyer so that the built-in reader can find them?
    I simply created a folder on my SD card and named it Books and copied the EPub files to it and the reader on the Flyer detected them. Also loading books with Calibre just placed them on the root of the SD card and the reader on the Flyer detected them as well, so it appears to only matter from an organizational aspect.
    IT Service Professional - I Just Need A Device To Be Productive
  5. #5  

    Default

    Has anyone been sucessful with converting a 2 column pdf document to epub and having it display correctly on the Flyer? After the conversion with Calibre it displays correctly in the Calibre viewer but when viewed on the Flyer part of the right column is not displayed and I have not found the settings in Calibre to correct it.

    IT Service Professional - I Just Want My Device to Be Productive
    IT Service Professional - I Just Need A Device To Be Productive
  6. #6  
    RkyMtnHigh's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    626 Global Posts

    Default Re: Adding books to the Flyer's reader

    Quote Originally Posted by S Prime View Post
    Has anyone been sucessful with converting a 2 column pdf document to epub and having it display correctly on the Flyer? After the conversion with Calibre it displays correctly in the Calibre viewer but when viewed on the Flyer part of the right column is not displayed and I have not found the settings in Calibre to correct it.

    IT Service Professional - I Just Want My Device to Be Productive
    I have heard Stanza Desktop works, and Calibre is supposed to have an update that works in the near to short-term future.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RkyMtnHigh View Post
    I have heard Stanza Desktop works, and Calibre is supposed to have an update that works in the near to short-term future.
    I had read the same, but found Stanza to be a dead-end and was hoping to have a better option than waiting on Calibre.

    IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to be Productive
    IT Service Professional - I Just Need A Device To Be Productive
  8. #8  
    RkyMtnHigh's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    626 Global Posts

    Default Re: Adding books to the Flyer's reader

    Quote Originally Posted by S Prime View Post
    I had read the same, but found Stanza to be a dead-end and was hoping to have a better option than waiting on Calibre.

    IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to be Productive
    Bummer...I need to do that too from time to time. I just haven't had to lately. Another option is to find an old copy of an OCR, scan the 2-3 column doc into Word, save it .RTF, and then convert to ePub I guess. Xerox used to make a good OCR. Here's a free 30 day trial link to their newest OCR called DocuShare. I haven't tried it yet. http://docushare.xerox.com/products/...trial_eng.html
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Adding books to the Flyer's reader

    Quote Originally Posted by RkyMtnHigh View Post
    Bummer...I need to do that too from time to time. I just haven't had to lately. Another option is to find an old copy of an OCR, scan the 2-3 column doc into Word, save it .RTF, and then convert to ePub I guess. Xerox used to make a good OCR. Here's a free 30 day trial link to their newest OCR called DocuShare. I haven't tried it yet. Free Trial for Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Software| Xerox DocuShare
    As an experiment, I loaded the 2 column Epub on a Nook and it wrapped the text and hyphenated the words, so it was readable, but changing the font size on the Nook had no effect on the page. I guess I could change the conversion settings in Calibre for the Nook, but that is not going to help us on the Flyer. What is obvious to me is that we lack some functionality in the Flyer's reader, but we can hope for improvement with future updates.
    IT Service Professional - I Just Need A Device To Be Productive

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions