CDMA Hero rooted

Semantics

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I did my first flash today. I installed the Optimizer with Zipalign, and its working famously. I did the nandroid backup first, then copied the zip file and installed from the recovery. Its a very nice optimization. One issue I am having, and I'm not sure if its related. I can no longer go to google.com from my browser. I get a white page, and nothing else. If I do a search using the google widget, I get google results, but I just cant go to Google, it just wont load at all, entire screen is white. All other sites I use work, I'd like to figure out the google error.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Try clearing out the browser cache, and removing Google/igoogle settings from the gears setting in the browser. Sounds like some old data might be there that the new browser (yes it's the same, but with a different signature on the zip the system thinks it's a whole different animal) can't display. Part of the optimizing process is to rip out the graphics, strip out "useless" color and color depth information, and inject it back in. Cached google data may be in a color that the browser no longer displays.

If that doesn't work, you can backup what you have, restore your old backup, pull the browser package from it, restore the aligned package, and inject the old browser in it.

Throw this all past the dev working on the aligned packages first. Maybe it's a known bug.

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where to find specific instructions on how to load custom ROMs. My Hero is coming in the mail tomorrow and after reading here and xda the past few weeks I know I'll wanna waste no time getting it rooted. I've found a good set of instructions at XDA, and while that gives a good step by step, it doesn't tell how to install the ROMs. I've seen a few people here talk about MoDaCo's ROM so I'll assume that's pretty popular. Any recommendations on what's safest? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Once you get it rooted and a recovery image installed it's fairly simple.

Download the ROM you want to flash, and place it on your SD card.
Boot the phone into recovery mode (hold home, click power, keep holding home until you see the green text)
The menu has a selection for flashing a zip from the sdcard, clicking it will allow you to choose which file you want to flash.
Choose that file and press the home button
it will follow the script in the ROM (wipe cache, flash system, data, boot, etc)
When done it will tell you it was successful or give an error.
If successful choose reboot and wait a few minutes while it starts up for the first time.

Modaco's ROM sets the standard, and all the current Hero ROM's are built off it. But his original is dated and has some bugs that Sprint fixed after he released it. Fresh ROM seems pretty popular, and it looks like he has fixed up his own bugs from earlier versions. I also have a ROM here in the hacking/Hero ROM section. I'm sure there are others, but I'm not familiar and couldn't recommend them in good faith. My opinion - try the Fresh ROM, simply because its popular and bugs will be found and fixed faster because of co many users.

Good luck!

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info. This may be a noobish question, but will the phone only permit one ROM at a time? Or can I put both on the card and choose one from recovery mode without doing any harm? Also, iirc, Fresh ROM has apps2sd preloaded into it. What steps do I need to take on my SD card to create a new partition?

Sorry if all my questions are kind of elementary, my only real motivation with rooting is going to be speeding up the phone and getting rid of annoying Sprintware (aren't these also removed in Fresh ROM?).

Thanks again!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
After you load a custom recovery image, you have a new option to back up the currently running system to a file on your SD card. You can restore to this point at any time with no data loss.

You load your ROM, set it up then reboot to recovery and back it up. You can then wipe and flash anything else, but still have an easy way to get right back where you were. You can store any number of backups on the card, so you can have more than one ROM set up and choose which one to boot to by booting to recovery and restoring that backup.

You can hold the ROM in it's zip file on your SDcard, as many as you like. They are just zip files until you use them to flash to the system. I have about 15 on my sd card at any time :)

To run apps from the sd card:
1. Back up the entire contents of your SD card to a folder on your PC, as it's going to get wiped clean.
2. Boot to your recovery image and you can reformat the sd card. Set it up with a ext2 partition of 512mb - 1gig. You'll never need anymore than that. No need to set up a swap partition with a Hero, there's more than enough RAM. Format the rest of the card FAT32.
3. Copy the backup back to your SD card. You'll use the FAT32 partition for storage, and this is automatic.
4. When you flash the ROM it will find the ext partition and use it for /data/app and install programs to that area automatically.
5. NEVER EVER have your phone on without the SD card in. It's now a tiny hard drive that Android needs to run correctly.

I think Fresh ROM has most of the unwanted stuff stripped out. Noj here on the forums is part of the dev team, he would know all the answers.

You're welcome :)

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Is the backup you're referring to the Nandroid backup that's recommended in most 'How To's"? Also, I purchased an 8GB SD card premptively, so will I simply need to copy all the content from it initially and use it throughout my rooting process for it to work successfully? I'm coming from years of lolSamsung Instict use so a good amount of this is just new territory, seems simple though. There's a couple other things I have questions on, but I think at this point I'll hold off until the phone actually arrives. After reading up on this a lot its good to understand most of what you're saying haha.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
yep. Nandroid is the NAND back up and restore program the runs on the recovery image. It's the bestest thing since sliced bread ;)

I wouldn't use an 8 gig card if you want to run apps from the sd card. Something nobody talks about is how running from a sd card shortens their usable life by about 80%. Use the cheapest 2 gig class 4 sd card you can find, as you'll be replacing in every 4-6 months.

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I see. Does the SD card crapping out do any damage? Or do you simply get a new card, copy your NAND backup that you saved on your comp to it and keep on truckin?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Other than losing everything since your last backup, it won't hurt anything. If I were using it, I would back up every week, or anytime something I needed to keep on the phone came in. Then transfer those backups to a PC for safe storage. When/if you start to see read/write errors, shut it down, copy everything to a new card and load it up.

If it craps out completely, copy latest backup to a new card and flash the nandroid backup to get to that state again with a new card. Nandroid has the function to back up apps2sd built in, so pop in new card, reformat, transfer backup from pc to new card, and restore. You'll have everything except for things you installed since the last backup and messages that have come in since then.

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Awesome, thanks again. The phone didnt show up today so my rooting will have to wait. I'll be sure to let ya know how it goes... or if I have any issues >.>

vbsoulpole

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Quick question again. The guy I bought the phone from didnt send the SD card with it, so I'm forced into using the 8GB card I bought, which is fine b/c it was already opened and bought with a gift card. Anyway, when I'm formatting the card after the root for apps2d, how do I need to set up the card? You said before that 512mb - 1gb would be ok before, should I just do 1gb and 7gb for FAT32?

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
1gb ext 3 or 4, 7 gb Fat 32. Most ROMs do not like swap partitions so set the first partition to 0 as that is usually the first one it asks for (in the RA recovery Roms, anyhow...).

Phil.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
1. Unplug the phone from the PC
2. Reboot the PC
3. On the phone menu->settings->applications->development. Make sure USB Debugging is UNCHECKED.
4. Once PC is fully booted, plug phone back in.
5. Back on the phone, ENABLE USB Debugging.
6. PC should search for drivers. If you have installed HTC sync or the stand alone drivers it should find them. When PC says the device is ready for use, try again.