Steps to install a ROM

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
It would be great if we could get a sticky containing info on how to properly install a ROM including the steps to backup data with nandroid and apps2sd.

Thank you.

Davec1234

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
1. Put new ROM in root of sd.
2. Nandroid + ext backup.
3. Wipe everything.
4. Flash new ROM.
5. Reboot, enjoy ROM.

You can use Titanium backup to back up your apps.
This might be over simplified but that's pretty much it.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
1. Put new ROM in root of sd.
2. Nandroid + ext backup.
3. Wipe everything.
4. Flash new ROM.
5. Reboot, enjoy ROM.

You can use Titanium backup to back up your apps.
This might be over simplified but that's pretty much it.

Yeah I think everyone knows that, but I mean the steps to get into recovery mode and such. The first time I flashed a rom I used Home + Power to boot into recovery. While trying to install IceHoneyBun it did not boot into recovery and instead erased all of my data. I tried again using Volume down + Power and it worked. I'm trying to prevent this from happening to other people since i've spent all morning downloading all of my apps and pictures from the computer. BTW it did not even give me the option to use nandroid this time.

MSK01

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Turn off phone. Turn phone on by pressing power. As soon as the screen has HTC on it let go of power and hold down on home until the recovery menu pops up. If the phone turns on regularly just try again, and if a menu with little andrioids skating appears pull out your battery and try again. The recovery menu is black and green.

Davec1234

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Turn off phone. Turn phone on by pressing power. As soon as the screen has HTC on it let go of power and hold down on home until the recovery menu pops up. If the phone turns on regularly just try again, and if a menu with little andrioids skating appears pull out your battery and try again. The recovery menu is black and green.

No.

Power off.
Hold home and click the power button, hold home button until recovery comes up.

Davec1234

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think everyone knows that, but I mean the steps to get into recovery mode and such. The first time I flashed a rom I used Home + Power to boot into recovery. While trying to install IceHoneyBun it did not boot into recovery and instead erased all of my data. I tried again using Volume down + Power and it worked. I'm trying to prevent this from happening to other people since i've spent all morning downloading all of my apps and pictures from the computer. BTW it did not even give me the option to use nandroid this time.

Well if everyone knows that they would have to also know how to do what you are asking.
Sorry for trying to help, I won't bother in the future.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Well if everyone knows that they would have to also know how to do what you are asking.
Sorry for trying to help, I won't bother in the future.

I'm sorry that's that what I meant to say. Most people read the threads about new ROMs and it usually stated to wipe the phone and flash through recovery. Not everyone knows how to actually do this. I have trouble with it myself so I was hoping we could create step by step instructions on how to do it. I just want to help out the community.

Davec1234

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry that's that what I meant to say. Most people read the threads about new ROMs and it usually stated to wipe the phone and flash through recovery. Not everyone knows how to actually do this. I have trouble with it myself so I was hoping we could create step by step instructions on how to do it. I just want to help out the community.

[Guide] Root/ROM FAQ/Tutorial - Android Forums

aaron1981

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I've been looking around pretty thoroughly but maybe I missed this: what's the difference between choosing Nandroid backup vs. Nandroid + ext backup?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I've been looking around pretty thoroughly but maybe I missed this: what's the difference between choosing Nandroid backup vs. Nandroid + ext backup?
If you choose just nadroid it wil backup the phone and not the ext partition.If you choose nadroid+ext backup it should backup everything and your ext2or3.Neither backup phone call history or text.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez