Easy Sprint HTC Hero root!!!! with 2.1 installed

skitzer9

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Its a very easy way to root the htc hero. It must be the official 2.1 without the recent patch update because that will eliminate the exploit that permits rooting the phone.(Do it with caution!!!)Im not the creater of any of this, im just explainig it.

*Just need to go to unrevoked and download that .apk file and put it on the sdcard(Its not only for the Evo, its also for the hero)

*Theres an article posted on this site that explain how its done, but just in case is just to install that .apk using Astro or any other app that permits to install apps.

*Click start and done!!!...you just got SU..meanig u can install app that require root access, but u cant flash roms!!!...thats bad but it can be fixed.
*Now go to [GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers and download all three files: Android SDK, HTC Sync and hero-root.zip.(If u already have any of the previous then theres no need to redownload it)

*Now do step #2 to unzip the sdk to C:\ directory.
after that step only unzip the hero-root.zip and copy both recovery.img and boot-patch.zip to the sdcard of the phone.

*Then go to step #9 and jump to bullet #8 inside that step, where before says to open the SuperUser Permission and do all after that, meaning all the commands.

*All the commands should work. The previous steps that where skipped was done with the unrevoked app.

*I did till flashing the boot-patch.zip....Now enjoy flashing rom's!!!!!

All credit goes to does who found and did the root for the hero. I just tested and mixed some step to make it more easy. Any question just ask.

Machael

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was perfectly content with the stock 2.1 performance, but I liked the idea of getting rid of some bloatware.....

I used the SDK method for rooting mine. It went very smoothly, and now I'm comfortable using the SDK interface! I'm glad they figured it out! :D

Looking forward to the unlocked opportunities that this brings :)

Anyone know of a good reference post as to which apk/odexes are safe to uninstall?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I was perfectly content with the stock 2.1 performance, but I liked the idea of getting rid of some bloatware.....

I used the SDK method for rooting mine. It went very smoothly, and now I'm comfortable using the SDK interface! I'm glad they figured it out! :D

Looking forward to the unlocked opportunities that this brings :)

Anyone know of a good reference post as to which apk/odexes are safe to uninstall?
I can name most.Also do this to see what the apps names are to remove.
adb shell
cd /system/app
ls
that should show all the apks&odexs
Safe to remove
gsd apk&odex
stock apk&odex
stock widget apk/odex
htc facebook
htc twitter & twitter widget
sprint tv,tv widget,nascar,nfl, core<--but thats visual voicemail
teeter apk/odex
voice search
sound recorder
ringtone trrimmer
amazon mp3
calculator
flickr
htc footprints &widget
htc navi panel
IM
learnmore
pdf viewer
quickoffice
youtube
Thats all off the top of my head there might be somemore you can delete but i can't remember right now.Hope that helps.

Machael

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can name most.Also do this to see what the apps names are to remove.
adb shell
cd /system/app
ls
that should show all the apks&odexs
Safe to remove
gsd apk&odex
stock apk&odex
stock widget apk/odex
htc facebook
htc twitter & twitter widget
sprint tv,tv widget,nascar,nfl, core<--but thats visual voicemail
teeter apk/odex
voice search
sound recorder
ringtone trrimmer
amazon mp3
calculator
flickr
htc footprints &widget
htc navi panel
IM
learnmore
pdf viewer
quickoffice
youtube
Thats all off the top of my head there might be somemore you can delete but i can't remember right now.Hope that helps.

Yeah, I printed off that list of installed apps yesterday...5 pages worth LOL...

Thanks for the tips on what can be removed. I thought I read somewhere that the IM apps broke something else if removed...same with Flickr. I guess that's what nandroid back-ups are for! ;)

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I printed off that list of installed apps yesterday...5 pages worth LOL...

Thanks for the tips on what can be removed. I thought I read somewhere that the IM apps broke something else if removed...same with Flickr. I guess that's what nandroid back-ups are for! ;)

I know i take im out in my own rom with no problems.Flickr isnt that big so i leave it alone.I know if you take out gtalk the market doesn't like that.You got the right idea nadroid and if you run into problems restore and try again.If you get stuck and need help just holla.

blgontheroad

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Unrevoked said "done" but not rooted

I really don't care about ROMS. I use the Hero as a demo machine for our software. But I would like to use the Hero as a WiFi hotspot when I travel, so I got Wireless Tether. It says that I am still not rooted. Any ideas? Again, I don't need or want to load ROMS as this is not my primary phone. It is a demo phone. OH, it is a Sprint Hero in the US.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I really don't care about ROMS. I use the Hero as a demo machine for our software. But I would like to use the Hero as a WiFi hotspot when I travel, so I got Wireless Tether. It says that I am still not rooted. Any ideas? Again, I don't need or want to load ROMS as this is not my primary phone. It is a demo phone. OH, it is a Sprint Hero in the US.

The easiest way to use wireless tether is to just flash a custom rom(Iknow you said you didn't want to),but you would need to install other apps to get it working like busybox and su app.I have made almost a completely stock rom that already has it built in.To the everyday user they wouldn't even know the difference between this rom and a stock rom.The only thing is tho if the phones for demoing then when people see that you have wireless tether and su app they are going to want free tether.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-roms-hacks/16255-there-completely-stock-2-1-rom-around.html

blgontheroad

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
when I am demoing our software, I will not be tethering. Tethering is just a bonus for me and my iPad when Wifi is not to be found. when I am demoing our Android client, it will just be an Android phone. Any way to go back to the 2.1 without the patch so that unrevoke will work?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
when I am demoing our software, I will not be tethering. Tethering is just a bonus for me and my iPad when Wifi is not to be found. when I am demoing our Android client, it will just be an Android phone. Any way to go back to the 2.1 without the patch so that unrevoke will work?

Yeah you just have to run the ruu that ends with .5 then you should be able to.Ill get you the link for it.

blgontheroad

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Thank you very much! I am sorry for being a newbie on the Android side. I downloaded the .5 exe file. I tried to execute it on Win7 and got a Vista error message. How am I supposed to install this on my Hero?

Update! I found the MR .5 executable on my PC and it seems to be loading. Now I guess the only issue will be how to stop Sprint from updating me to .6 automatically.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Update! I found the MR .5 executable on my PC and it seems to be loading. Now I guess the only issue will be how to stop Sprint from updating me to .6 automatically.

You shouldn't be upgrading automatically. It would pop-up as a prompt and ask you to download. I have been on 2.1 before the official release and have had no automatic update.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello. I installed the OTA patch. :( Am I still able to root the Hero? I just got it in a trade, so I didn't know any better.

yes. check the link that Beezy420 posted above. the 2nd post lists a file for you to run. that will put your phone back to .5 (the OTA makes it .6)
Then follow the enrEVOked instructions in the 1st post.

Last edited:

LS22153

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for all these great and useful info. I am totally new and I have explored and read as many posts here and in other forums so I can learn. But I do have some basic questions still.

I have an unrooted Sprint Hero running Firmware 1.5 with Build # 1.56.651.2 It is running smoothly and the average Awake Time is 6-10% which means my battery lasts about 2 full days, sometimes even more.

I want to upgrade phone to 2.1 and take advantage of the upgraded features. However, if I upgrade and the performance of the phone is not as good as I have now, I would like to go back to what I have, that is why I want to root my phone.

I have not been able to find answers to some of the doubts I have. Can someone help me with some info, please?

Questions:

1. Can I root my phone running 1.5 with the Unrevoked.apk? or do I have to upgrade to stock 2.1 first? I did download from Sprint the first version of their 2.1 upgrade.

2. Once I root using this very easy method, can I unroot if I must get service from Sprint? How would I do that?

3. If for some reason I have to do a full Factory Data Reset, will that unroot my phone or wil it keep the root?

Thanks a lot in advance for all the great info you give to us all.

Lilian

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for all these great and useful info. I am totally new and I have explored and read as many posts here and in other forums so I can learn. But I do have some basic questions still.

I have an unrooted Sprint Hero running Firmware 1.5 with Build # 1.56.651.2 It is running smoothly and the average Awake Time is 6-10% which means my battery lasts about 2 full days, sometimes even more.

I want to upgrade phone to 2.1 and take advantage of the upgraded features. However, if I upgrade and the performance of the phone is not as good as I have now, I would like to go back to what I have, that is why I want to root my phone.

I have not been able to find answers to some of the doubts I have. Can someone help me with some info, please?

Questions:

1. Can I root my phone running 1.5 with the Unrevoked.apk? or do I have to upgrade to stock 2.1 first? I did download from Sprint the first version of their 2.1 upgrade.

2. Once I root using this very easy method, can I unroot if I must get service from Sprint? How would I do that?

3. If for some reason I have to do a full Factory Data Reset, will that unroot my phone or wil it keep the root?

Thanks a lot in advance for all the great info you give to us all.

Lilian

I would say since you have 1.5 foolow the guide in the link i provide.If you root the way in the link i give,then you can always go back to the official 1.5.If you run the ruu for 2.1 then you will never be albe to return to the official1.5.I'm not sure if unrevoked works on 1.5 it could.After rooting if you need to have your phone serviced then you would just run the ruu and it would return your phone to stock how it is now.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-sprint-hero-condensed-easy-read-version.html

LS22153

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a bunch for your quick response. Extremely helpful and clear. It answers my concerns. I clicked on the link and have read it thoroughly and will get my phone roooted!

All the best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21