Rooted with 1-click, need help flashing recovery (newb)

FatDave

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I'm new to hacking Android phones, but I make a living at the Linux command line, and I've installed and used adb.

My ultimate goal is to run CyanogenMod on my Sprint CDMA Hero, but initially I just want to delete all the bloatware.

I rooted my phone with the Universal 1-click (have the .6 build and I don't have a Windows PC handy to run the RUU) and it worked, confirmed by installing and running PicMe and I can su to root prompt in an adb shell.

So of course I want to do a nand backup before I start poking around too much, but it appears the 1-click root app doesn't install a recovery image (understandable, what with the flashing an all). At any rate, if I try to boot to recovery I get the ! triangle.

So I need to flash a recovery image (please correct me if I'm wrong). There are several linked in various HOWTOs, but those seem like they might be a bit on the old side. Should I use one of them or are there newer/better versions available? Am I better off just installing RomManager and working from there? I feel a little safer working from the command line though. Are there any big differences among recovery images?

Thanks for your help. Sorry I was long winded.

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I'm new to hacking Android phones, but I make a living at the Linux command line, and I've installed and used adb.

My ultimate goal is to run CyanogenMod on my Sprint CDMA Hero, but initially I just want to delete all the bloatware.

I rooted my phone with the Universal 1-click (have the .6 build and I don't have a Windows PC handy to run the RUU) and it worked, confirmed by installing and running PicMe and I can su to root prompt in an adb shell.

So of course I want to do a nand backup before I start poking around too much, but it appears the 1-click root app doesn't install a recovery image (understandable, what with the flashing an all). At any rate, if I try to boot to recovery I get the ! triangle.

So I need to flash a recovery image (please correct me if I'm wrong). There are several linked in various HOWTOs, but those seem like they might be a bit on the old side. Should I use one of them or are there newer/better versions available? Am I better off just installing RomManager and working from there? I feel a little safer working from the command line though. Are there any big differences among recovery images?

Thanks for your help. Sorry I was long winded.

Look at this post on XDA, it has a recovery for download and instructions for installing through ADB. Here.

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
If you make a living on the Linux line, you are not a newbie... OK, for Android, but I'm sure you'll surpass us 'real' newbies pretty quick.

Only advice from a newbie, install Quick Boot app:

Quick Boot - Android app on AppBrain

Fantastic! It let's you reboot in one click (without having to turn power off) and reboot directly into Recovery, I love it specially for Nandroid backups.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance