Rooting HTC Hero 1.5: South Africa

sevab

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys,
I bought my unlocked HTC Hero (NOT SPRINT) less than a year ago in NY. I've been using it in Europe, where I live. However, unlike other people with HTC Hero I haven't received the new 2.1 update for my phone and I've been stuck with 1.5. I'd like to root my phone and just install any official ROM for another Hero model which has received the update already. Here are some info about my phone:

Firmware: 1.5
Baseband version: 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18
Kernel version: 2.6.27-8dd6deee
htc-kernel@and18-2 )
Build Number: 2.73.421.5 146733 CL#61267 release-keys (HTC Support said my phone model is South African)
Software version: 1.0.0.A6288

I searched the forum, but found rooting explanations for the sprint Hero's and I was afraid to do anything with my model. So if any of you have a useful link or could explain me how to Root my model and install an official ROM from another Hero, I will appreciate that alot!
I'm using Mac, but windows-based methods will also work. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
If you go to xda developers website, you should find a GSM rooting process. There's pretty much an answer for everything there.

Don't do the one click root if you don't have instructions to install Recovery, otherwise you should be OK.

BTW, what carrier do you have? Can you use internet and stuff?

NXD10

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Question for South Africa: My son is leaving on July 7 to move there for two years (Peace Corps). He needs to bring an unlocked phone with him that can work as a data link to tether to his laptop. Any suggestions for phones? Does an unlocked GSM Hero work? We are having a heck of a time getting any information out of anyone about what will work there.

Any help welcome!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae