New [ROM] CyanogenMod-6.1.0-RC1 for Hero CDMA - V6.1.0-RC1 (10/28/2010)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Usually, no. It's at lease suggested that you wipe Dalvik-cache.

To be safe, always create a backup just in case you are not satisfied with an updated ROM.

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Thinking of going from Icedhoneybun 420 deodexed to this ROM, but I have a ton of apps and settings, not to mention running a lot of apps on a2sd. Basically, minus the fact that it's not Froyo, I've got the phone just the way I like it.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Any gotchas? Any way to prevent losing all my settings?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thinking of going from Icedhoneybun 420 deodexed to this ROM, but I have a ton of apps and settings, not to mention running a lot of apps on a2sd. Basically, minus the fact that it's not Froyo, I've got the phone just the way I like it.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Any gotchas? Any way to prevent losing all my settings?

CyanogenMod is a really good ROM - stable and efficient. If you want to give it a try without losing all your apps you might need to move them back to the phone and start with a Nandroid, just in case you don't like the ROM or something goes wrong. Titanium Backup Pro does a good job with app backup and restore. Most file managers offer an app backup but market download links may not be provided (the apps won't show in your downloads and updates won't appear).

I'm not sure if apps2sd is supported by CyanogenMod since Froyo builds have a default feature to move apps to the sd.

Remember that most widgets offered by Sense UI have a replacement on the market. Some may not be free, but you won't have to worry about losing the same basic features Sense offers.

mranderson41

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
CyanogenMod is a really good ROM - stable and efficient. If you want to give it a try without losing all your apps you might need to move them back to the phone and start with a Nandroid, just in case you don't like the ROM or something goes wrong. Titanium Backup Pro does a good job with app backup and restore. Most file managers offer an app backup but market download links may not be provided (the apps won't show in your downloads and updates won't appear).

I'm not sure if apps2sd is supported by CyanogenMod since Froyo builds have a default feature to move apps to the sd.

Remember that most widgets offered by Sense UI have a replacement on the market. Some may not be free, but you won't have to worry about losing the same basic features Sense offers.

So if I move my apps to the SD card will the application data be saved from a data wipe? For example if I moved Angry Birds to the SD card would the level that I am on be saved from being wiped if I did a data wipe and then installed CM6.1?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So if I move my apps to the SD card will the application data be saved from a data wipe? For example if I moved Angry Birds to the SD card would the level that I am on be saved from being wiped if I did a data wipe and then installed CM6.1?

I don't think the data will be saved. Private user data is stored on the phone and the app itself, along with an encryption, is stored on the sd card. This will prevent it from being placed in another phone for use.

Towards the end of this article is the explanation: Storing Apps on SD the Froyo Way | AndroidGuys

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I gave up on this ROM in less than a week. The battery drain was just too much, even WITH the script others have mentioned elsewhere.

Sorry, guys... I'm back to IcedHoneyBun 4.20.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I gave up on this ROM in less than a week. The battery drain was just too much, even WITH the script others have mentioned elsewhere.

Sorry, guys... I'm back to IcedHoneyBun 4.20.

I agree, this ROM has many issues although for me battery life wasnt one of them. In fact this ROM gave me the best battery life, anywhere from 3-5 days with regular use. Unfortunately, the keyboard was completely broken and would not show any text that I entered. The phone locked up on occasion and had to be reset with a battery pull. There were a few other minor issues that I could have lived with, but it had to go.