Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
[HERO ROM] Gumbo ROM project Gumbo Kernel BETA now released

I've requested this be closed. Please see http://forum.androidcentral.com/spr...o-rom-gumbo-rom-1-5c-post41536.html#post41536 for the current release.

All new release. The ROM has been reworked using MoDaCo's incredible build scripts. This gives great performance while keeping all the features.

Gumbo Kernel BETA release - see post 213

What's included:
Apps2SD (see post below)
Dropbear SSH server (see post below)
Spare Parts
Mount USB quick mount app
Phone Portal (administer your phone over WiFi via browser)
Car Mode
Quick Boot
Wireless Tether
Catharsis Calendar Widget
Voice Search
Latest Version of Maps for 1.5
Samsung's Behold II Cube media app

gumbocap.png

cubecap.png

Rosie has been reworked, runs very fast and uses the new Expresso style interface.

A wipe is suggested before installing, because of the new build scripts. If you choose not to wipe, note that many apps have been placed in the /data/ directory for easy future upgrade. At a minimum all caches must be wiped. Note that prior versions are no longer supported, please update to latest before reporting bugs.

As always, this comes with no guarantee, and I'm not responsible for anything.

Donations - please use the money to buy your father an issue of Popular Mechanics to read on the john instead.

Thanks and credits -
MoDaCo
Cyanogen
Lox
JF
everyone else I may have missed.

Gumbo 1.5b ROM
Download Gumbo_1.5b-signed.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

http://biggz.dontexist.com:14725/ROMs/Gumbo_1.5b-signed.zip

Add ons

All removed Stock apps - Apply as an update AFTER flashing the Gumbo_x.x-signed.zip
Gumbo ROM

Individual apps - Apply as an update AFTER flashing the Gumbo_x.x-signed.zip
Gumbo ROM

Please keep the thread on topic. Any questions about how to root or how to apply a ROM should be addressed in the appropriate thread. Lets try to keep this one about issues/suggestions about the ROM.

ALWAYS FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST FEATURES! Don't depend on me to think of everything...I'm getting old and my mind wanders. :D

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Apps to SD

Apps2SD is automagic in this build. Place an ext2 or ext3 partition on your SD card and the ROM will use the partition to store applications.

This can be done using a custom recovery image. I recommend Amon-RA's.

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
DropBear SSH

This ROM has DropBear installed by default.

Dropbear SSH server and client

The server runs at first boot. It's set at port 2222. It takes a second boot to generate a root password. The password can be found settings>about phone>Build Number. It will say:
[BETA] Gumbo 0.1a, SSH password:your_password
If you have not rebooted since installing the ROM it will say:
[BETA] Gumbo 0.1a, REBOOT REQUIRED
as no password has been generated.

If you don't understand what an SSH server is, or don't want one running, from the adb shell or a terminal on device:
Code:
/system/bin/removedropbear.sh

The device will restart and dropbear will have been removed.

Unless someone has your phone and has looked at your password, you will not get 'rickrolled' using this. If they have your phone, you have bigger things to worry about anyway.

Last edited:

702DROID

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
just flashed it seams great so far really like that nexusone boot animations any way we could get the 2.0 lock screen ??

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
What if I want to keep SprintTV and SprintNFL? And what is a Sprint MR?

Exactly the feedback I'm looking for.
I will place them back in and run them for a bit to be sure everything works. They will be back in the next release. I don't use them so that's why I never bothered, but I'm more than happy to add them in for those that do use them.

Sprint MR is the Sprint Maintenance release. It's the update Sprint put out to address the bugs in the original Hero. This ROM has those fixes incorporated in.

702DROID

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Exactly the feedback I'm looking for.
I will place them back in and run them for a bit to be sure everything works. They will be back in the next release. I don't use them so that's why I never bothered, but I'm more than happy to add them in for those that do use them.

Sprint MR is the Sprint Maintenance release. It's the update Sprint put out to address the bugs in the original Hero. This ROM has those fixes incorporated in.

i have a zip file with all the sprint and some htc apk and odex files that works great with eoe app installer from the market to push those back on the phone if that helps make it easier for people to re add them

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
just flashed it seams great so far really like that nexusone boot animations any way we could get the 2.0 lock screen ??

Great! Make sure to let me know if things go funky :)

I'll look into it. I think this one will be stuck with the 1.5 or HTC lockscreen though, not sure if i can rebuild just the lockscreen for 1.5.

have a zip file with all the sprint and some htc apk and odex files that works great with eoe app installer from the market to push those back on the phone if that helps make it easier for people to re add them

Yes please post that. I'll still add them back into the ROM, but for the meantime that's really handy, and it gets them tested at the same time.

702DROID

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Great! Make sure to let me know if things go funky :)

I'll look into it. I think this one will be stuck with the 1.5 or HTC lockscreen though, not sure if i can rebuild just the lockscreen for 1.5.

so far so good i opened all my apps to try them and not one force close

side note i was on fresh rom 1.0 and didnt wipe before i flashed (lol sounds gross after i reread that) everything works great so far ill keep it going till i find a flaw :cool:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
What about the universal search from 1.6? Does that have to be on a full 1.6 build?

I'll take a look, but it's probably not going to happen. Like the lockscreen, I don't think it's possible to build that into 1.5

so far so good i opened all my apps to try them and not one force close

side note i was on fresh rom 1.0 and didnt wipe before i flashed (lol sounds gross after i reread that) everything works great so far ill keep it going till i find a flaw :cool:

Good deal. I think this one should be pretty stable. Small tradeoff for speed, but I need a phone that works when i need it to so I'd rather have it a bit slower and not fc :)

ok for some reason i cant find that zip now but this is the source where i got them from PROPS TO FLIPZ FOR THESE

1.56 Stock APK?s ? Geek For Me ? Android CDMA Sprint Hero

Thanks! This will help a lot.

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm running MoDaCo 1.1 now. To switch to yours, just put the .img on the SD card, boot into recovery, and apply it, correct? Will I need to redo the apps2sd or the partitioning again?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm running MoDaCo 1.1 now. To switch to yours, just put the .img on the SD card, boot into recovery, and apply it, correct? Will I need to redo the apps2sd or the partitioning again?

Yes. Apply as an update zip through the recovery screen. Apps2sd should remain like it is now, unless you wipe data (not recommended or needed). Don't re-partition your SD card or you will wipe it clean.

BE SURE TO BACK UP THROUGH RECOVERY!
If you have the latest RA image, back up nandroid + sd

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I applied it and got a bunch of force closes when it rebooted. Some Sprint ones, and com.google.gapps something or other. I restored and all is well, but I'm back on MoDaCo 1.1 of course. Any suggestions?

702DROID

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

Yes. Apply as an update zip through the recovery screen. Apps2sd should remain like it is now, unless you wipe data (not recommended or needed). Don't re-partition your SD card or you will wipe it clean.

BE SURE TO BACK UP THROUGH RECOVERY!
If you have the latest RA image, back up nandroid + sd

im sorry forgive me if im wrong but you should be putting the .zip file on the sd card not an .img and then do a gbhil said apply as an update zip ......maybe eyes or maybe me idk :D

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I applied it and got a bunch of force closes when it rebooted. Some Sprint ones, and com.google.gapps something or other. I restored and all is well, but I'm back on MoDaCo 1.1 of course. Any suggestions?

The com.google.aps force close I think i know why. You will probably have to backup, uninstall and reinstall Google maps. That's a trade off with using apps 2 sd.

the Sprint apps... i'm not sure without the actual error. Do you have sprint app widgets or shortcuts on your desktop(s)?

Lastly, it's not uncommon to see force closes the first time you switch a rom. Most of the time they go away after the first boot. Especially apps and widgets in use before the reboot/flash

All I can suggest is try again and if you could jot down any errors. I'd be happy to troubleshoot.

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
com.google.android.partnersetup
com.esmertec.android.jbed
com.smithmicro.DM
com.schwimmer.android.wifistatus
com.google.process.gapps <-- over and over and over

This is after rebooting a couple of times, restoring from the nandroid backup, reflashing the ROM, and rebooting a few more times

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Let me get this right...
You went from 'normal' to Modaco 1.1 and are using apps2sd correct?

I'll RUU/re-root and try the same upgrade path. Just want to make sure it's the same as your using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance