browse to adb/tools directory
enter the following one line at a time
Code:
adb remount
adb shell
su
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps
reboot
phone will restart and now wifi will work as advertised.

After that, you can remove the pre loaded stuff you wont use
http://forum.androidcentral.com/hacking/2680-how-remove-sprintware-your-rooted-hero.html

Or install some nice root only apps from the market
root | All | By date, Androlib, Android Applications and Games

Or try out a custom ROM
http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-htc-hero/4361-hero-rom-gumbo-rom-project-beta.html

Just keep a copy of the RUU handy
http://biggz.dontexist.com:14725/ROMs/RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_1.29.651.1_signed_release.exe

And learn to religiously do nandroid backups from recovery.

Zerazac

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I have a quick question. Can I have more than one ROM on my sd card and go back and forth between ROMS? I have frsh rom but wanna try out the GUMBO rom. Thanks.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Set up your ROM how you like it.
Reboot into recovery and do a nandroid backup
Wipe data, Install your new ROM, and set it up as you like.
Back it up as well.

You can then easily switch between ROMs using the restore function in recovery.

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
What do you want to do?

First thing is to fix the random slow bug when using wifi -

connect to pc
open command prompt
browse to adb/tools directory
enter the following one line at a time
Code:
adb remount
adb shell
su
reboot
phone will restart and now wifi will work as advertised.

I was unable to browse to adb...

Zerazac

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Set up your ROM how you like it.
Reboot into recovery and do a nandroid backup
Wipe data, Install your new ROM, and set it up as you like.
Back it up as well.

You can then easily switch between ROMs using the restore function in recovery.

Right on, Thank you sir! :D

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Strange. I put NanDroid on my SD Card and turned my phone off. I turned it on holding the home button and I got a screen with a picture of a phone next to a triangle with an exclamation point in it. The screen just sits, no keys gets a response, and I have to pull my battery to restart.

Anything I could be doing wrong?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
nandroid is part of the custom recovery image. It needs flashed to the phone. Re-read the guide you used to root the device and you should see instruction to flash recovery.

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the guides are difficult to follow as most of the time they don't tell you where the program should be installed, where the files should be, etc...
At least, not in a very clear manner. I'm a network engineer and I've written 3 software manuals and I find most of the guides incomplete...but that's probably because they're written in generalizations for multiple handsets.

Jaime313

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
What Now?

I Have a few qustions :eek:

1.Which ROMs would you recommend for the Sprint Hero and which ones do what?

2.How do you set up Apps2SD?

3.How do you apply themes to the hero?

4.How Do you switch between roms without wiping your data?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the guides are difficult to follow as most of the time they don't tell you where the program should be installed, where the files should be, etc...
At least, not in a very clear manner. I'm a network engineer and I've written 3 software manuals and I find most of the guides incomplete...but that's probably because they're written in generalizations for multiple handsets.

Agreed. A series of guides (one each for Vista/7, Mac, and Ubuntu) that directs the user where to place downloads so exact commands can be given need written for each handset model. I just haven't had the time, but I do realize my how to thread on this site is in dire need of a cleanup :D

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I Have a few qustions :eek:

1.Which ROMs would you recommend for the Sprint Hero and which ones do what?

2.How do you set up Apps2SD?

3.How do you apply themes to the hero?

4.How Do you switch between roms without wiping your data?

1. I like fully featured and stable, so I recommend either Gumbo (here on AC) or FRESH over at xda. Of course you can not go wrong using MoDaCo's CDMA Hero ROM either. There are others out there, but some of the software has been stripped out for speed or not all functions work.

2. Depends on the ROM. Mostly, it will be built in and you simply have to provide an ext partition as the first partition on your SD card. Wipe data and flash the ROM, it will find it and link that partition as the /data/app directory.

3. Some are built as an update zip file, others use metamorph. 3rd party home replacements have downloadable themes from the market.

4. Set up your ROM as you like it, then reboot into recovery and back up the ROM image through nandroid backup. Do this for each ROM you would like to use and you can just use the nandroid restore feature to go back to the exact point you were at when you made it. You can store as many different ROM backups as you like on your SD card.

BurgesS

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

my mistake. The stock Hero ROM doesn't have adb remount in it. The above will work in it's place.

I guess I am doing something wrong here. Neither this or the original entries are working for me. I am new to this, could you give me a step by step. I have navigated to the tools directory and tried both commands listed and neither works.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

BurgesS

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-sprint-hero-condensed-easy-read-version.html

I finally got around to writing something usable. See if this helps you any.

Yeah I did that...great how-to very easy to follow. I still can't get this wifi fix to work though. I don't know enough about these commands for them to make any sense to me. I am sure it is my fault. Is this what I need to do:

adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
reboot

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I did that...great how-to very easy to follow. I still can't get this wifi fix to work though. I don't know enough about these commands for them to make any sense to me. I am sure it is my fault.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Try these command, one line at a time AFTER you have navigated to the SDK/tools folder in your command window

Code:
adb devices
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
reboot

If you get any errors, paste them here. If you don't, and the phone reboots, it worked.

armychris28210

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
how do you navigate to sdk/tools.....whats the command?im also not using the same computer that i rooted with, is that a issue?thnx

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX