[CDMA HERO KERNEL] Gumbo Kernel GK-0.2 beta

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
A custom kernel for your Sprint CDMA Hero.

This is a ROM that inserts the new kernel over another ROM. Gumbo users should update to 1.5c here

Download link for 1.5 versions:
http://www.4shared.com/file/211795037/24ce727/GK-031-signed.html

Download link for AOSP versions:
http://www.4shared.com/file/212540959/f11d93c/GK-031_AOSP16-signed.html

Download link for 2.1 heroc version:
http://www.4shared.com/file/212681068/a732792c/GK-031-21_heroc-signed.html

Download link for ROM cookers. Detailed dev package including kernel, wifi module, sample scripts, exploded boot image and tools to edit and reassemble:
http://www.4shared.com/file/217067115/893ad466/GumboKernel-DevPkg.html

Feel free to ask questions, ROM cookers PM me for email address for faster reply.

Below is left for archival purposes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended update procedure:
1. Download a root enabled backup application. Titanium Backup (root) is highly recommended. Backup your application data.
2. Download Gumbo ROM 1.5b and place it on your SD card.
3. Download Gumbo Kernel and place it on your SD card.
4. Reboot to recovery
5. NANDROID BACKUP
6. Verify Nandroid backup exists.
7. Wipe data/factory reset
8. Flash Gumbo ROM 1.5b
9. Flash Gumbo Kernel
10. Reboot
11. Enjoy

If coming from clean Gumbo 1.5b (no swap to MCK ) no wipe is required.

Other versions now available
Link to AOSP version
Link to 2.1_heroc version

Advanced users:
Wipe may not be necessary. Only tested on Gumbo ROM 1.5b, but should work on MCR 2.x. Others are at your own risk.

Works 100% with setcpu. Go give that man a lousy buck and support him like he supports us.

Is it working?
Verify by opening menu>settings/about phone. Kernel Version should be 2.6.27GK-0.31
Check your free RAM. Reports from testers vary between 65-80 free with all desired apps and Sense running.

Thanks to Paul O'Brien, androcheck, and those that helped test.

kernel sources

Last edited:

prguy85

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
No I'm not sure if SetCPU is working correctly on my case. The big MHz number on the top portion of the app is the current CPU speed right?

I'm charging my phone and its at 528MHz (big number on top). Unplugged it goes down to 480MHz. Why doesn't it lower to 245MHz if its set to that speed on Min?

notasimpleway

Jan 30, 2010
www.kencaruthers.com
No I'm not sure if SetCPU is working correctly on my case. The big MHz number on the top portion of the app is the current CPU speed right?

I'm charging my phone and its at 528MHz (big number on top). Unplugged it goes down to 480MHz. Why doesn't it lower to 245MHz if its set to that speed on Min?

I think it's part of the powersave mode. If the screen is on, it will max out the CPU, but when the screen is off it will go down to 245. Turn your screen off for a few and then turn it back on and see if it lowered it to 245. Did you put SetCPU on PowerSave or whatever?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
performance 528 max, 480 min
ondemand 528 max, 245 min (I think. Not 100% on the min value here)
powersave 480 max, 245 min
msm7k 480 max, 245 min.

You'll only see the absolute min when the phone is asleep. Until we get something better, if you're running a powersave mode you will have to open the setcpu app to pull out of 245. If the setcpu dev can't fix this bug for us, it can be done with scripting:
Script starts at boot and watches the screen state.
When screen state = goes to sleep, x=true.
if x=true and screen state = awake then
cat the current governor, and echo it back to the system to reset the governer.
Clumsy. But it should work. That's the project for the weekend. Hopefully the setcpu dev can help us out and this can be ignored if you're using the app.

For those that want to set their governor without an app or with gscript:
Code:
echo "X" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
where X= "performance" "powersave" "ondemand" or "msm7k"

spj

Android Custom Creations
Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
performance 528 max, 480 min
ondemand 528 max, 245 min (I think. Not 100% on the min value here)
powersave 480 max, 245 min
msm7k 480 max, 245 min.

You'll only see the absolute min when the phone is asleep. Until we get something better, if you're running a powersave mode you will have to open the setcpu app to pull out of 245. If the setcpu dev can't fix this bug for us, it can be done with scripting:
Script starts at boot and watches the screen state.
When screen state = goes to sleep, x=true.
if x=true and screen state = awake then
cat the current governor, and echo it back to the system to reset the governer.
Clumsy. But it should work. That's the project for the weekend. Hopefully the setcpu dev can help us out and this can be ignored if you're using the app.

For those that want to set their governor without an app or with gscript:
Code:
echo "X" >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
where X= "performance" "powersave" "ondemand" or "msm7k"

thanks that worked :)

prguy85

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
So I just open a adb shell and type

echo "powersave" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

And that should do it?

prguy85

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Been testing this using SysTray to see Free RAM. After having it turned on for about 12 hours, I notice Free RAM is less than when bootup (normal I guess). On boot it was at 80MB and after those 12 hours (charging without that much use), its now at 60-62 MB free ram. This is normal I presume right?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So I just open a adb shell and type

echo "powersave" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

And that should do it?

Yes, but IMO it's easier to do it on the device itself. Even easier to use the setcpu app to set the governor and pretend like the rest of the app isn't there :p

yep but when you reboot your phone it wont save and you have to redo everything again

Correct.

Will these functions be added automatically to the beta kernel? I haven't noticed sluggishness based on CPU speed yet.

Right now, it's set to performance on boot. I figured it would be best not to throttle it down, and those that want to cut it back can with commands. This afternoon I'll make a patch or two you can flash and have it set to powersave or ondemand at boot time instead. You'll still be able to change it while it's running, I'll just change the boot parameter,

Been testing this using SysTray to see Free RAM. After having it turned on for about 12 hours, I notice Free RAM is less than when bootup (normal I guess). On boot it was at 80MB and after those 12 hours (charging without that much use), its now at 60-62 MB free ram. This is normal I presume right?
That's the expected result. Normally without user interference the phone will let RAM go down to about 26 Mb free before it starts killing off old processes. I'm sitting at 63 Mb free since last reboot (14 hours ago). It should keep you above 60 at all times while sitting idle.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Does this kernel have compcache and all the other goodies too?

Nope. I've seen some odd result from using compcache (apps not closing as they should, crazy lag at times) and have heard reports from others. I need to test this before i add anything else to the mix. IMO this ram hack works better than compcache for performance boost, but eventually both will be in.

spj

Android Custom Creations
Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Nope. I've seen some odd result from using compcache (apps not closing as they should, crazy lag at times) and have heard reports from others. I need to test this before i add anything else to the mix. IMO this ram hack works better than compcache for performance boost, but eventually both will be in.

yep, me personality i wouldn't want that on a rom i had serous boot time.It was crazy, i booted up my laptop along with my device and the winner was my laptop...lol

Removing the file didn't help even loading another rom after wipe didn't fix it.I had to go back to stock and start all over rooting and installing gumbo...now its stupid smooth..lol :D

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
yep, me personality i wouldn't want that on a rom i had serous boot time.It was crazy, i booted up my laptop along with my device and the winner was my laptop...lol

Removing the file didn't help even loading another rom after wipe didn't fix it.I had to go back to stock and start all over rooting and installing gumbo...now its stupid smooth..lol :D

The theory is good. I think there is an issue with one of our kernel drivers. The setcpu dev has given me some great info and I'm looking inot things. Anything I find out I'll be sure to share with Paul.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci