Theme/ROM Help & Questions

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to all this. Since we're snowed in again where i am, decided today would be a good day try rooting my phone.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

I like Sense UI and i want my Hero to be as snappy as possible. So far i rooted my phone, created that Nandroid backup and installed the full Gumbo 1.5c. I wanted Sense and Sprint Nav. I then deleted the other Sprint stuff.

Any other suggestions as to what to do would be great.

I am also interested in themes. Is there a site to visit that has a list of popular themes, and maybe some instructions on how to install them?

Thanks!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
If you're proficient with the adb shell, pull the /system/init.d/gumbo.sh file to your PC. Edit it with a Unix style file editor for Windows (Notepad ++ is great and free). If you get it pulled, post it here and I'll show you some changes you can make to get the phone even faster and explain how to tweak it to get everything possible without crashing SenseUI.

I'm trying to attract some theme developers here, but not much luck so far. For now, look here - Hero Mods, Themes, APK's, Fonts, Lockscreens, Taskbars - xda-developers

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm not really proficient with it. I just followed the instructions you created to root my phone and put Gumbo on it. By the way thank you for doing all that, it's greatly appreciated. The Gumbo is definitely much snappier than the stock ROM which is great. I was just getting tired of the lag so i decided to try rooting/replacing the ROM to get a better performance. I should be good, i really wouldn't know how to do what you mentioned.

As for the themes, thank you for providing that thread. The only thing i cannot find is out to install it. For instance, i'd like to install the Godzon Onyx blue theme, so after i download it how do i put it on the phone?

And again, thank you for helping me.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
on the same token, if there's like a clock or widget or something else, after i download it, what would i have to do to put it on my phone?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Installing the themes is going to depend on how thw author has them set up. Most will be flashed from recovery the same way you did with the Gumbo ROM. If that doesn't work, ask the theme creator. I happen to know Godson is a very nice and friendly fellow, and most developers I've had the chance to speak with are as well.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Don't be sorry man. You asked intelligent questions and used the answers given as best you could. If we all acted like that we'd be Android Guru's in no time :) Chances are you helped out a good many people who will come across this thread.

I know when I'm not sure of something I ask away lol.

I'm glad I could help.

Reactions: zeravla531

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey gbhil, id be interested in that process mentioned above to make it even faster. I'll contact you in about a week when I move back to my college town and have access to my windoze (i keed) machine. I'm typing on my hero now with jumbo 1.5c w/ sense UI and it has no lag. Love it!