Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rootin' N Romin'

I understand how to Root and I understand a Rom. But, I am curious about the differences in some ROMs... I have read some articles/threads about being able to stream netflix and some saying its not possible. Can anyone shine some light on that. Also, what is the most stable Rom to run?

Global Posts
    7,398 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Every ROM is different in that the developers tweak or add things to the ROM that make it unique to that particular build. Sometimes you'll notice nothing between ROMs, but the code and addons are what set them aside. You'll see clear differences in 2.1 ROMs v AOSP ROMS, particularly the UI included in each ROM and how it performs.

Generally, most ROMs for the Hero are pretty stable, unless otherwise stated by the Developer. CM7 ROMs include nightlies, which are experimental and deemed unstable, but stable enough for daily use in most cases. It's hard to say which ROM is the most stable to run for a particular person because every expects different from their device.

I hope this clears some things up, ask more questions if you need further clarification
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Every ROM is different in that the developers tweak or add things to the ROM that make it unique to that particular build. Sometimes you'll notice nothing between ROMs, but the code and addons are what set them aside. You'll see clear differences in 2.1 ROMs v AOSP ROMS, particularly the UI included in each ROM and how it performs.

Generally, most ROMs for the Hero are pretty stable, unless otherwise stated by the Developer. CM7 ROMs include nightlies, which are experimental and deemed unstable, but stable enough for daily use in most cases. It's hard to say which ROM is the most stable to run for a particular person because every expects different from their device.

I hope this clears some things up, ask more questions if you need further clarification
    That makes a little more sense. So, Netflix is a possibility if I find the right ROM. I thought I read something about Debernacle (or something close to that spelling) about being able to stream netflix. (Obvisiously my main goal is get Netflix streaming) Has anyone found a way to stream Netflix by Wi-Fi?

Wireless Tethering - I know you can tether the EVO after Rooting and putting a Rom on it. Is it likewise possible on the HERO?

Sorry for the noob questions, Im still trying to figure this all out.

TIA!

Global Posts
    7,398 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

having a working Netflix app depends on two things; an official release or a hacked version. the application floating around was pulled from an unreleased ROM. It won't work on any device unless either of the two options above make it available. The ROM shouldn't matter unless it's os specific, like 2.2+.

Yes, you can root the Hero and download an app called wireless tether by Muller. It's free and enables tethering.

Don't worry about the questions, that's how we all learn.

*edit*
    The Netflix app was hacked to work by someone but no longer does (unless it is working again.)