Show respect for Gbhil here!!!

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
In a effort to keep the gumbo rom threads for people needing help post anything pertaining to gbhil not developing gumbo roms here.

sparda07

Android Supporter
Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks GbHil if it weren't for you i would have never even Bothered to Root My Hero and try the custom Roms. Its sad to hear about what happened and i wish that you didn't leave like this but if its the only option right now i understand. I'm glad you won't be quiting all together but angry that its happened at all. :mad:

Thanks so much for all your help.

watzone69

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I know how difficult it is to decide to stop developing a ROM. I'm sure that I echo the feelings of every fellow fan of your kernel and ROMs when I say that I totally respect your decision.

It's a shame that it has come to this. I hope that when the next big phone comes out (Supersonic?) that you will be developing for it.

Until then, thank you and take care,
Mike

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
wow. Not what I expected. Thanks for the support guys. And remember - there's no reason anyone can't pick up where I left off. It's really not as difficult as it seems, and I'm always open to share ideas and suggestions.

Seriously, this shocks you? This isn't precentral.net, there are nice people here (although someone did tarnish your name either here or from XDA) You are and always will be the best! I'm really going to be hurting when 2.1 rolls out and you're not around to have a sweet ROM available. :/ I may just unroot my phone now. No use in running something that won't have support. You will be greatly missed. You really are a stand up guy Gb.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys. You can't get rid of me that easy though :)

What this does is give me time to work more on the How-To side of things, which to me is more important in the long run anyway. I know one of you will be able to use what we started here and take it to the next level. There's still plenty of great ROM cookers out there.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with Kratos313 though... I didn't try rooting until that lovely how-to came out. I knew how to... I just didn't realize exactly what every line meant, and the break down of everything was more reassuring. Plus, I knew I could do it on my mac, but I like doing things like that from windows as I'm actually more familiar with windows than MacOSX terminal.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. You can't get rid of me that easy though :)

What this does is give me time to work more on the How-To side of things, which to me is more important in the long run anyway. I know one of you will be able to use what we started here and take it to the next level. There's still plenty of great ROM cookers out there.

If you tell me everything you know I sure would take it to next level. One if these days ill figure out everything..hopefully..

jjjjayd13

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Gbhil, ;-)

GB stay strong!!!

You 'REALLY' did bring some GREAT work to the ANDRIOD community, please do not forget that!

We all have 'haters' that don't have a life. Since the developer 'understood' after you explained matters to him, please push ahead.

One rotten apple (or2) should not 'steal' your joy.

Stay Strong,

jjjjayd13, :cool:

Jedis#AC

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
This is a big hit for the ROM community as a whole.

Gbhil: too many people have come to rely on your work. Your kernels are used by just about every ROM out there. When I'm looking for a ROM to use, if it doesn't say 'Gbhil' on it, I move on to the next one.

I seriously hope you reconsider. You are too great of a loss for the community to not have you working on developing the next best thing. Don't let some misguided individual keep you from helping thousands of people. You're punishing the wrong people by going that route.

If I may ask, were you threatened, by the makers of the software, with a lawsuit? Surely they can understand it's too easy to take someone else's work and slap their name/someone else's name on it and release it. They should have done more investigative work to determine if it was actually released by you. In fact, they should never have contacted you to begin with - they should have contacted whomever released the ROM. Anyone that's worth half their weight in the Android community knows you release kernels and build custom roms -- and have never once included a paid app.

I plead with you to reconsider.

ejqr5

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I can understand your decision Gb and I respect it 100%. I really appreciate all the work you have done and I know there are many others that appreciate it too.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks again guys. This really isn't necessary, but it's appreciated :)

If you tell me everything you know I sure would take it to next level. One if these days ill figure out everything..hopefully..

And that's the good that can come out of this mess. I'm trying to figure out the best format for a multi-part FAQ detailing the process of building your own kernel from source, and customizing it into a boot image, starting from scratch. I think there is a need to have something like that, and doing things this way will lead to a better variety and better results.

This is a big hit for the ROM community as a whole.

Gbhil: too many people have come to rely on your work. Your kernels are used by just about every ROM out there. When I'm looking for a ROM to use, if it doesn't say 'Gbhil' on it, I move on to the next one.

I seriously hope you reconsider. You are too great of a loss for the community to not have you working on developing the next best thing. Don't let some misguided individual keep you from helping thousands of people. You're punishing the wrong people by going that route.

If I may ask, were you threatened, by the makers of the software, with a lawsuit? Surely they can understand it's too easy to take someone else's work and slap their name/someone else's name on it and release it. They should have done more investigative work to determine if it was actually released by you. In fact, they should never have contacted you to begin with - they should have contacted whomever released the ROM. Anyone that's worth half their weight in the Android community knows you release kernels and build custom roms -- and have never once included a paid app.

I plead with you to reconsider.

To clear things up a bit -
I got an email asking me to remove some software from my ROM. Software that I never put in my ROM.

I shoot an email back saying I wasn't exactly sure what the issues were, as I didn't put anything of the sort in my ROM. Since this was a legitimate request from a legit individual, I included my Google voice number and asked the fellow to give me a call so we could clear things up.

A while later I got a call from him, and we talked about what was going on. He pointed me towards a website that was in Cyrillic, but with an English link to Gumbo 1.5. That link was to a file that didn't know existed, at a site that I never knew existed. The file in question was the stripped version of my 1.5c Bare rom, but with full versions of some of the most expensive applications in the 1.5 marketplace, several paid home replacements, and the donate versions of some free software. On the download page was a ~250 MB zip file with almost all paid themes from the market as well. I try to make myself easy to get in contact with, so a quick search by the fellow who contacted me led him to my email address based on the name of the ROM.

Everything is fine between the dev and myself. There were no threats, and we quickly got on the same page. The developer thanked me for taking the time to talk with him, I thanked him for making an application that everyone loves, and we parted ways. I do believe he was going to fill out a trouble ticket with the host supplying the rom to try to get it pulled.

If you knew me, you would realize that this is unacceptable. You know that guy at your local community college, with the scruffy beard who is always pecking away at his laptop? Yeah that weird guy. That's me. I have very strong beliefs as far as open source software and free sharing of information. A situation like this only leads people away from the idea of open source. Free software doesn't mean stolen software, and it's a shame that we have to fight to keep people from thinking it does. I just don't want my name attached to garbage like this again.

Since it's hard enough to find any information about things like this, I think my time is best spent sharing what I know and what I've learned so anyone with the desire can re-create it for themselves. Doing it this way allows me to continue the free sharing of information that I believe in without having to feel/be responsible for what other do with it, gives us all an opportunity to learn together, and gives anyone the satisfaction of knowing they did it themselves.

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey man, if you noobify the "How-to" enough, Ill give it a whack and try and make my own ObmuG? ROM or kernel. Hopefully itll be Gbhil aproved :D.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Gbhil, you're my dude. My go to guy. Kinda like what Crucial Xtreme is to Crackberry.

BTW: Still lookin for that Hero you "lost" in Bmore/DC. =)

Keep doin you!

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Wow, they almost did Flipz and his new release... TWICE! People are just being retarded this weekend.

Flipz asked donors not to release or share the new 2.1 ROM until he made it public and today, 2 people were already uploading and sharing ROMs based off the new .29 kernel.

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Well apparently, Toast will also leave the scene.

Edit: we almost did. Some guy was gonna release a Fresh 2.0 based ROM, the thing is that Flipz (Fresh dev) asked for early beta testers not to release his work before him, lo and behold, a guy was already uploading it. Toast got mad and said he was quitting, but then he came and said that he wouldnt leave "his boyz".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez