1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CM7 w/ invisiblek kernel

Default Sprint Hero Root 1.6

Hey guys my buddy wants to root his phone but he hasnt upgraded to froyo yet he running 1.6 still. My question is whats the best way to root his phone, is there a method for 1.6 or does he have to upgrade. If upgrading is necesary whats the best way to go about that. thanks !
    Last edited by mfife88; 05-03-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

The Hero never got 1.6, it's 1.5 The best way is to upgrade the OS to 2.1 by downloading the RUU found in the first post here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...one-click.html

Look under "How to Unroot". Just run the program on a windows machine, make sure to have the HTC Sync drivers installed.

After you upgrade the to 2.1, follow the instructions provided in the above thread. It will install an older recovery, but you can change it by downloading ROM Manager and installing Clockwork Recovery. From there, he will have options to install custom ROMs and such to improve the phones performance. Let us know if you need assistance
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    CM7 w/ invisiblek kernel

where can i find the drivers? and once installed, i just run the ruu with the phone plugged in to get 2.1 right?

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Yes, install the HTC Sync drivers and run the RUU when you are ready. Make sure you have a full battery just in case and let the program do it's thing. Follow the few on screen prompts and you'll be good to go
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    CM7 w/ invisiblek kernel

thanks man ill give a shot tonight

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Let us know how things go.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    CM7 w/ invisiblek kernel

well i successfully rooteed and flashed CM 7 but google apps didnt flash. could i just get the google apps d/l from rom manager?

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

yes, you should be able to get the apps from ROM Manager. Did you try reflashing after a full boot?

I think any gapps prior to the 3/7 ones will not work with cm7. I had to dl them when I updated from 6.2.

-----
    Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Ginger-on-Hero action here!
    This post has +3 to topic derailment.