Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AOSP: What is it

Forgive the newbie question. I did a google search and I'm guessing that it might be as basic as the google search suggested, but want to make sure. What exactly does "AOSP" mean to the Android world? I keep seeing messages, this is AOSP or it isn't AOSP. Just looking to make sure I know what it is. Thanks,
    HTC EVO 4G

It kicks tail!!!
    Thanked by 3:

ROM
    Stock

It means Android Open Source Project.
    When you see an AOSP ROM, it means its as basic as it gets. No Sense, no nothing. It runs generally faster than a sense based ROM. You just don't get any of the visual flash. So basically, if you use the emulator from the SDK, you see AOSP android. Even more basic than vanilla, if you will. Hard for me to explain, and the AOSP website is very techy (I don't get about half of what they say).
    Thanked by 4:
    kpshubert likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That is what I thought it meant. Just that I see a few times it is mentioned, almost like it is a godsend to get it AOSP. I think I'll be sticking to my non-AOSP ROMs, thank you very much!!
    HTC EVO 4G

It kicks tail!!!

Wink Well...

"AOSP" is like saying "BASIC" or "DOS" or C++. It means that AOSP ROMs are not based on any specific release or particular phone programming. Vanilla, cupcake, eclair, froyo, (AND SOON!!) gingerbread, were all built from coding off the AOSP platform. Doesn't make any AOSP ROMs lesser (or better) than any other ROM. Just means the dev built the ROM "from scratch," if you will. It's not a modded existing ROM, it's completely original. Frozen Yogurt, for instance, is an outstanding AOSP ROM... Kind of like a "new" phone. AOSP ROMs may be right up your alley. Try one, you can always restore if you hate it.
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    pjniez, kpshubert, sjfloat and 2 others like this.

Way to post on a thread that's over 7 and a half months old...

If a thread is still open, members are welcome to contribute.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by 4:

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuyInNC View Post
    Way to be a troll.
    Thanked by 3:
    rgktexas7#AC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gtricecakes View Post
    Way to be a troll.
    Way to feed a troll.

ROM
    AOKP + Franco's

Quote Originally Posted by EVO-lutionary View Post
    Way to feed a troll.
    Way to feed the troll feeding the troll.

Such a vicious cycle.
    Thanked by 2:
    rgktexas7#AC and erikalin like this.

ROM
    Team Venom v1.2

I just learned something from a post that's 8 months old. Thanks op for the question.

ROM
    ICS flavor of the day....

Quote Originally Posted by eldub1 View Post
    I just learned something from a post that's 8 months old. Thanks op for the question.
    same here man. learned something new. even after I had already put aosp's cm7 on my "learning how to root" hero.
    Thanked by:
    Jillxz 
    Jillxz likes this.

Default AOSP kernels

Close to year later and it still helped me... Thank You CeeJay and Andrew Ruffalo ..great explantion
    Jillxz likes this.

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.10

Helped me today. Knowledge never gets too old.
    "Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt Hoooooooo!" - Lion-O
    Jillxz likes this.

Over a year old and this post helped me today.
    Thanked by:

lol I just something out of this post.
    Even if it is old.

Thumbs up Re: AOSP: What is it

It helped me today. Thank you.

Default Re: AOSP: What is it

Quote Originally Posted by eldub1 View Post
    Me too! Why would it matter if a post was opened up 8 months after if the information is STILL relevant and useful?!
    oh wait, trolls.. never mind. See you next month when I bump this post to anger the trolls!
    j/k

I just learned it too. Thanks.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Hey, I too gained knowledge from this old post today... Think back too when...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyteravyn View Post
    Hey, I too gained knowledge from this old post today... Think back too when...
    I noticed the troll has gone away.

Default Re: Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Cee-Jay View Post
    "AOSP" is like saying "BASIC" or "DOS" or C++. It means that AOSP ROMs are not based on any specific release or particular phone programming. Vanilla, cupcake, eclair, froyo, (AND SOON!!) gingerbread, were all built from coding off the AOSP platform. Doesn't make any AOSP ROMs lesser (or better) than any other ROM. Just means the dev built the ROM "from scratch," if you will. It's not a modded existing ROM, it's completely original. Frozen Yogurt, for instance, is an outstanding AOSP ROM... Kind of like a "new" phone. AOSP ROMs may be right up your alley. Try one, you can always restore if you hate it.
    I had been wondering about this myself. And where I'm sure I could've found the answer elsewhere if I were willing to search, I found it here and was glad to have done so.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for helping out us who are newbies to ROMs, flashing, etc.

Thanks. I've always wondered, now I know. There are over 700,000 android devices activated everyday and there will always be someone in need of a simple knowledge to get them started in the android world.

And Ijust learned something today and I've been flashing roms for maybe 2 years.

As for the troll thing, I thought these threads were to help everyone or is it just to hear yourself talk? everyone has to learn somewhere. Reminds me of those dudes at the gym who make fun of the new guy cause he's not cut yet but they had to start somewhere too

Googled what is aosp and here I am. Thanks for asking the question OP.

The only dumb question is the question that we fail to ask.

I was once told after doing something stupid .....(joining the army :-)

that I would become smarter or stronger............(Drill Sargent didn't care which one ;-)

Why not do both?

..... no matter how long it takes.....

:-)
    East Houston Texas

Verizon SCH I535
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast