Sprint 2.1 leak

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Hackers and AC staff never sleep :) We're like smartphone undead.

If you haven't noticed, we now have a Sprint 2.1 leak. It was posted up front with a few warnings, and a promise of some further instructions. As some of you know, Bambi's mother and my truck played a game of chicken and we both lost so this is gonna be sort of short and sweet, but it's enough to get everyone started.

There's three ways to get this leak on your phone:

You don't care about root or any of that hacking jive, you just want 2.1
Then you have it easy. Grab the RUU and flash it to your phone.
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_2.20.651.1_signed_test.exe
Mirror (thanks smccloud!) http://smccloud.com/Hero/RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_2.20.651.1_signed_test.exe

some things to consider:
1. This flashes a new radio, hboot, everything. You'll probably never ever be able to root your phone once you do this.
2. If for some crazy reason the official Sprint 2.1 release uses an older version of hboot or the boot image, you won't be able to install it. Ever.
3. You will NOT be able to roll back to 1.5 if you wanted to. Again, never ever.
4. A few things in the market won't work. Most paid and protected apps show up just fine, but not all. This may be permanent.

You want the leaked 2.1 but you don't want to be stuck with it
Here ya go.
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download signed-CL157175_1.zip
Mirror (thanks smccloud!) http://smccloud.com/Hero/signed-CL157175_1.zip
*This is a newer version that corrects a bug with the installer. If you downloaded the first version, and have installation issues try this one instead.

This is the leaked 2.1 that will flash from your custom recovery image. If you aren't already rooted, see HERE and HERE
You need to wipe all data from recovery. Get used to it, that's gonna happen from here on out with new Hero ROMS.

1. It's correctly rooted
2. Busybox is installed
3. Everything else is untouched

You want the 2.1 leak AND you want custom memory management like Gumbo 1.5 was done
It's right here
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download signed-CL157175Custom.zip
Mirror (thanks smccloud) http://smccloud.com/Hero/signed-CL157175Custom.zip
Again, full wipe - including any ext partitions.

1. Everything from the 2.1 leak is included
2. The boot image was patched and the /system/init.d/gumbo.sh service was added. It's cranked HIGH. You can adjust it just like always, edit the gumbo.sh file
3. Apps2SD is included, partition your card via recovery and it's automatic.
3. Against my better judgment, I'll support this. Just promise me you won't do anything too damn stupid with it, and if you didn't get it from this thread, you didn't get it from me. I won't be chasing support threads all over the intertubes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You want 2.1 with fixes in place, Sprintware removed, a nice lite custom version of the "stock" ROM
Then you want to see beezy420's thread here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-roms-hacks/9895-2-1-lite-option-4-a.html
This is the one you want lol ^^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some essential add-ons for people who have used method two or three above, including a fix for any potential market issues. Thanks rufflez.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=71085#post71085

Beezy420 has some Mods and asskickin add-ons like Sense with live wallpaper here
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-roms-hacks/9679-mods-add-ons.html

Look here for a method to repair your bootloader if you decided to run the RUU
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...pair-your-bootloader-after-using-2-1-ruu.html

Last edited:

bnob99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Awesome stuff. Thanks for your hard work. Based on possible issues with the first option, I wouldn't touch that one. If I didn't want to root, then I would just wait at this point since we have to be close to update coming out. I've been holding out rooting my device but no longer. Thanks again.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks bnob.

The leak actually is rooted. It's an engineering leak, so root can work his magic- but only from the adb shell.
When I'm feeling a bit better I'll work up a nice little how-to for people who did run the RUU to use the command line and get back some things like a custom recovery or a "correct" root+busybox. The warnings are valid though. You're taking a small gamble by using the leak as-is, which is why I wanted to get some other options out there for people to experience the "official" 2.1 without any ROM cookers customizations.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Gb. I'll try it out today and tell you how it goes.

SCREEN SHOTS!!!! Cause you know you're curious. Nothing special if you've been running a 2.1 ROM, but if you're on 1.5, these are all changes:
Full screen animations: Its cloudy here. There isn't a line on the bottom, thats just how the screen shots actually turn out... weird.
device.png

Browser. The green bar moves with the address bar and now there is no need to hit the "menu" button to change an address, just drag down.
browser.png

1.6+ market:
market.png

Navigation app, you can also just open up the search and hit mic and say "Navigate to McDonalds in Illinois" or whatever and it will pull it up on the map, select which one and then hit the navigate button.
Navigation.png

Last edited:

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, for the completely inexperienced, PLEASE, ask first.

This is going to be an interesting read for those who are NOT accustomed to playing around with updates. But it isn't impossible either... just takes patience and the ability for you to reread about 3-4 times.

I am going to be honest and suggest everyone stay away from the RUU if you don't want headaches down the line. Even for people who just want 2.1, don't go there, please hold out. If you ever need to service your phone or the RUU causes an issue that is unknown, getting your phone serviced could prove difficult at a Sprint tech center.

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
So I got the leak on my phone using the RUU .exe file.. I can't go back to damageless 2.1 now? When I try to boot update.exe from my SD card, I can't even get into the service menu to do it.. Am I stuck until 2.1 official is out?

Last edited:

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
So I got the leak on my phone using the RUU .exe file.. I can't go back to damageless 2.1 now? When I try to boot update.exe from my SD card, I can't even get into the service menu to do it.. Am I stuck until 2.1 official is out?

You are rooted through adb, so in theory you can push the recovery image back to your phone to get your some nice nand backup restore functionality. The roms out there, like flipz, damage, gbhils... that are using the RUU as the base are useable by you. The other ones... using the 1.5, well, you're screwed. Can't go backwards at this point.

mbell75

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
My Hero is stock, just downloaded that first link, the EXE file. Now what? Connect my Hero to my computer and drop what i downloaded somewhere on it?

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
You are rooted through adb, so in theory you can push the recovery image back to your phone to get your some nice nand backup restore functionality. The roms out there, like flipz, damage, gbhils... that are using the RUU as the base are useable by you. The other ones... using the 1.5, well, you're screwed. Can't go backwards at this point.

How do I push the recovery image back onto the phone?

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
My Hero is stock, just downloaded that first link, the EXE file. Now what? Connect my Hero to my computer and drop what i downloaded somewhere on it?

Did you read both posts by gbhil and I?

I suggest not doing that...

Instead:

gbhil said:
You want the leaked 2.1 but you don't want to be stuck with it
Here ya go.
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download signed-CL157175.zip

This is the leaked 2.1 that will flash from your custom recovery image. If you aren't already rooted, see HERE and HERE
You need to wipe all data from recovery. Get used to it, that's gonna happen from here on out with new Hero ROMS.

1. It's correctly rooted
2. Busybox is installed
3. Everything else is untouched

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
First, make sure you understand all the warnings and don't care.

Then plug your Hero into your Windows PC and run the file you downloaded. It will walk you through.

lol, you do realize im just a pharmacist with an unsafe addiction/hobby?

That's good enough :p.

Don't play humble :D . You can walk anyone through rooting/recovery/flashing a ROM as well as any of us can. Take one for the team lol.

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

mbell75 - please let us know how everything goes. I want to do this as well but I'm still on the fence.