How-To repair your bootloader after using the 2.1 RUU

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm just nervous as I have not done this before and don't want to mess my phone up. I want it to look as stock as possible or my gf who bought me the phone will be pissed that I would have voided the warranty and insurance... I guess I'm stuck like chuck...

I'd recommend you get DamageControl 2.1 and not this. Go to the xda forums and then to the HTC Hero subforums, they have a great tutorial on how to install the ROM. Good Luck!

I was in the same boat you were, trust me, it's not hard at all, just make sure you follow the directions down to the last period!

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm just nervous as I have not done this before and don't want to mess my phone up. I want it to look as stock as possible or my gf who bought me the phone will be pissed that I would have voided the warranty and insurance... I guess I'm stuck like chuck...

Just don't do option 1 and you will be fine. Not that option 1 doesn't work, it will, but option 3 provides a stock look and an amazing feel (fast, no delay transitions). You just need to follow the directions on Rooting the hero first.
Get familiar with the recovery after doing so, like nand-backups (makes a bootable backup at a set point and time), nand-restore (how you would go back after said bootable backup), usb toggle (just in case you forgot to add a file or put it in the wrong directory, or need to back up your SD card before you partition but are already in recovery mode), Wipe (clears all data/settings on phone, EXT partition (you apps if you use A2SD) and Dalvik), Flash (heres where you flash your custom ROM). It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't once you see it.

chris droid

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
So with damage control I can always change to the "official" release if need be? I would only do that in case of warranty work or to sell the phone so I could switch back to stock.

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
So with damage control I can always change to the "official" release if need be? I would only do that in case of warranty work or to sell the phone so I could switch back to stock.

Yeah, it's possible, you'd have to flash the stock 1.5 ROM (or 2.1 ROM when the official is released) and then unroot. Don't think it'd be too difficult.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Ok I just did this, and it worked.

Make sure you are always in charge only mode. I recommend setting it that way and checking don't ask again, this way every time you plug your phone in it doesn;t try to mount the SD card.

Watch for typos. You can rename the recovery image to something easy like recovery.img if you want.

If you are still having problems, try pushing the recovery image to /data/local
Code:
adb push *name-of-recovery.img* /data/local/
adb shell
su
cd /data/local/
ls
(make sure it's there)
cd /system/bin
flash_image recovery *name-of-recovery.img*
(wait for command prompt to come back)
reboot recovery

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
when I do cd /system/bin, I get an error "cannot cd to system/bin".. should I keep going or try something else?

EDIT: nvm, i just did cd /system/bin/ and it worked then, but again when I do flash_image, I get no such file or directory..

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
when I do cd /system/bin, I get an error "cannot cd to system/bin".. should I keep going or try something else?

you have to make sure your root
su
at the command prompt. If it changes to #, you're good.

If the prompt doesn;t change to #, there's a bigger problem somewhere.

EDIT

What happens when you type in just
flash_image
by itself?

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Check out my edit tho.

EDIT: When I do flash_image on it's own, i get the following:

# flash_image <-- I entered flash_image here
flash_image
usage: flash_image partition file.img
#

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
OK. Back to square one.
Looks like you got the flash_image app installed and correctly set up with permissions. Thats good.

Are you 100% sure the recovery image name is right? Sometimes Windows will rename things when they are downloaded...something like recovery.img.jar. On your phone, use a file manager (astro, estrong, etc) to double check the name of the recovery image file. You might have to look in the app settings to make filoe extensions show up.

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Where should the .img file be? On my SD card, there is a file called recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img, but I renamed the file that we copied in the last step to recovery.img...

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Where should the .img file be? On my SD card, there is a file called recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img, but I renamed the file that we copied in the last step to recovery.img...

That will work
Now from the shell
Code:
adb shell
su
cd /sdcard
flash_image recovery recovery.img

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah:
Code:
# cd /sdcard  <-- I typed in here
cd /sdcard
# flash_image recovery recovery.img
flash_image recovery recovery.img
error opening recovery.img: No such file or directory
#

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm installing DamageControl 2.1 as we speak.

Thank you soo much gbhil, definitely appreciate it!

EDIT: so yeah, I think all we changed was that we went into cd /sdcard to run the recovery image and not straight from the adb shell.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm installing DamageControl 2.1 as we speak.

Thank you soo much gbhil, definitely appreciate it!

EDIT: so yeah, I think all we changed was that we went into cd /sdcard to run the recovery image and not straight from the adb shell.

LOL. Trust me, I'm just as glad as you are. Nice work :)

spatel9114

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Haha yeah man, thanks again, I just booted up

EDIT: Oh crap, I forgot to wipe, still booted, should I wipe and reflash the ROM for better performance or it's fine?

EDT: nvm, I decided to wipe and flash again anyway.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc