How-To repair your bootloader after using the 2.1 RUU

mstulanovic

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
1. Make sure you have the Android SDK installed. Read HERE for more info.

2. Download 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download flash_image.zip

3. Download 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img

4. Unzip the first file, and place both in your Android SDK/tools folder.

5. Make sure USB debugging is ON

6. Connect your phone to the PC

7. Open the command window and navigate to the Android-sdk/tools folder on your computer.

8. At the prompt enter the following, one line at a time followed by enter
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
exit
exit
adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img /sdcard
adb shell
chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image
reboot
9. Your phone will reboot. When it is finished, back at your command window, once again enter
Code:
adb shell
su
cd /sdcard
flash_image recovery recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img
reboot recovery

10. With any luck, you'll have the recovery image back and can load custom 2.1 based ROMS again.

Hello there

I have a small problem... i had cm-hero-recovery.img... and wanted to flash the new recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img...
I did everything normally like I did with the first recovery img... but now I couldn't access the recovery (black and green screen). I tried boot via fastboot boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img but only I get is this:
hamo@hamo:~/sdk/tools$ sudo ./fastboot boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img
downloading 'boot.img'... FAILED (remote: not allow)

than I tried to flash the image with Flashrec the only thing I get is 'Failure'... no hope for me...
after that I was surfing the net and sow your post here... and than I did exactly what u said in the first post... and every thing went fine... and smooth.. with no errors... but when got to the adb reboot recovery command it did restart my phone... but it stuck on Hero screen... and nothing... I had to take out the battery and that turn it again... and couldn't access the recovery again...

what should I do?

Thanks in advance...

Hamo

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello there

I have a small problem... i had cm-hero-recovery.img... and wanted to flash the new recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img...
I did everything normally like I did with the first recovery img... but now I couldn't access the recovery (black and green screen). I tried boot via fastboot boot recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img but only I get is this:

than I tried to flash the image with Flashrec the only thing I get is 'Failure'... no hope for me...
after that I was surfing the net and sow your post here... and than I did exactly what u said in the first post... and every thing went fine... and smooth.. with no errors... but when got to the adb reboot recovery command it did restart my phone... but it stuck on Hero screen... and nothing... I had to take out the battery and that turn it again... and couldn't access the recovery again...

what should I do?

Thanks in advance...

Hamo

It's not just you Hamo.
I suggest going back to the 1.5.2 recovery image, and see if it still works. I have a Hero here that just will not accept the newer recovery images, and there are a lot of reports from others that are the same.

Somewhere there must be a very minor hardware change in some CDMA hero devices. I've found that the phones that don't like the newer recovery images also seem to have issues with the second leaked version of the 1.56 RUU.

mstulanovic

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's not just you Hamo.
I suggest going back to the 1.5.2 recovery image, and see if it still works. I have a Hero here that just will not accept the newer recovery images, and there are a lot of reports from others that are the same.

Somewhere there must be a very minor hardware change in some CDMA hero devices. I've found that the phones that don't like the newer recovery images also seem to have issues with the second leaked version of the 1.56 RUU.

May be you are right...
I have two Hero phones, mine accepted this recovery normally but my brother's phone is with this problem... I will now try to roll back to the same recovery that I had before, cm-hero-recovery.img... and than I will give you informations...
If same thing happens, what should I do?

Thanks for your respond...

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
May be you are right...
I have two Hero phones, mine accepted this recovery normally but my brother's phone is with this problem... I will now try to roll back to the same recovery that I had before, cm-hero-recovery.img... and than I will give you informations...
If same thing happens, what should I do?

Thanks for your respond...

Let's hope that it DOES work :)

I've not had to deal with it not working, but if it happens, we can try to figure it out.

mstulanovic

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I've not had to deal with it not working, but if it happens, we can try to figure it out.

I just tried with the older recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img, but same problem... and than I just tried with this cm-hero-recovery.img and it worked...

it seems that the old recovery images not working normally... I don't know
but before that I have found something install-recovery-cdma-linux.sh
and I opened that program via terminal and it said something at the end enjoy shell... does it mean that I have fix it with that program...

I will try now again to flash recovery-RA-hero-xxxx.img and if not happens that means that u were right about some hero's can't receive new recovery images...

wait for me to confirm ...

by the way thanks for your help...

mstulanovic

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just tried with the older recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img, but same problem... and than I just tried with this cm-hero-recovery.img and it worked...

it seems that the old recovery images not working normally... I don't know
but before that I have found something install-recovery-cdma-linux.sh
and I opened that program via terminal and it said something at the end enjoy shell... does it mean that I have fix it with that program...

I will try now again to flash recovery-RA-hero-xxxx.img and if not happens that means that u were right about some hero's can't receive new recovery images...

wait for me to confirm ...

by the way thanks for your help...

Confirmation:

My brother's phone is working only on the cm-hero-recovery.img
anything newer it does not work...
don't know why, but it is reality...

any tips here?

Many thanks

mstulanovic

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Confirmation:

any tips here?

Many thanks

rrr571

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting this guide!!

1. Make sure you have the Android SDK installed. Read HERE for more info.

2. Download 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download flash_image.zip

3. Download 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img

4. Unzip the first file, and place both in your Android SDK/tools folder.

5. Make sure USB debugging is ON

6. Connect your phone to the PC

7. Open the command window and navigate to the Android-sdk/tools folder on your computer.

8. At the prompt enter the following, one line at a time followed by enter
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
exit
exit
adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img /sdcard
adb shell
chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image
reboot
9. Your phone will reboot. When it is finished, back at your command window, once again enter
Code:
adb shell
su
cd /sdcard
flash_image recovery recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img
reboot recovery

10. With any luck, you'll have the recovery image back and can load custom 2.1 based ROMS again.

I was so happy to find this guide. I was one of those that just had to RUU the 2.1 Sprint leaked ROM, only to find out that it was very hard to find a way back to rooted. I guess Sprint had some new tamper protection maybe?

Anyway, thanks again!:cool:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Confirmation:

any tips here?

Many thanks

I wish lol. As I said, I have a Hero here that ONLY accepts the 1.5.2 Recovery. I chalk it up to minor hardware differences, possibly different manufacturers of components.

I have Version 2.1-update 1, I update it with the RUU sprint leaked version, Can I install any diferent roms or can i roll back to the 1.6 vs

This guide lets you install a custom recovery image, that you can use to flash any custom ROM.

I was so happy to find this guide. I was one of those that just had to RUU the 2.1 Sprint leaked ROM, only to find out that it was very hard to find a way back to rooted. I guess Sprint had some new tamper protection maybe?

Anyway, thanks again!:cool:

They have a new version of hboot, which other RUU's can't overwrite. I doubt it was intended to stop hacking, likely just a newer version.

And you're welcome :)

ep1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
this is what I'm typing and i get nothing
cd c:\android-sdk-windows\tools
and it keeps saying path is not correct what am i doing wrong

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
this is what I'm typing and i get nothing
cd c:\android-sdk-windows\tools
and it keeps saying path is not correct what am i doing wrong

You might want to open windows explorer to find out where you put the kit. Start-All Programs-Accessories-Windows Explorer then click on C: and look for it. I put mine in c:\Android_stuff\android-sdk-windows\tools

ep1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
ok i found what was wrong with the path. i got all the way through,and then this pop up. card is read only:mad:

aleis

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I use the HTC eris but i loaded RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_2206511_sign.exe for a co-worker who is having sound issues. Is this method a way i can take him to another rom?
preferably back to 1.5...
is their a way?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I use the HTC eris but i loaded RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_2206511_sign.exe for a co-worker who is having sound issues. Is this method a way i can take him to another rom?
preferably back to 1.5...
is their a way?

Yeah if you follow the directions here you should be able to flash custom roms again.I don't think you can run the stock 1.5 ruu because of the hboot being newer.

aleis

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Yeah if you follow the directions here you should be able to flash custom roms again.I don't think you can run the stock 1.5 ruu because of the hboot being newer.

Thanks, i figured it out and have a rom loaded!
my first time rooting! :D

Quiquemaracas1234

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
i have done everything and I am getting a black screen and a red triangle, any Idea what else can i do please can someone helph me PLEASE>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quiquemaracas1234

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
some things to consider:
1. This flashes a new radio, hboot,
everything. You'll probably never
ever be able to root your phone
once you do this.
2. If for some crazy reason the
official Sprint 2.1 release uses an
older version of hboot or the boot
image, you won't be able to install
it. Ever.
3. You will NOT be able to roll back
to 1.5 if you wanted to. Again, never
ever.
4. A few things in the market won't
work. Most paid and protected apps
show up just fine, but not all. This
may be permanent.
this. is the option one I installed and I want to install different roms I try. yesterday using. the how to repair your bootloader and I get a red triangle at the end. any ideas?

ep1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
that's the same issue i was having. it took me a while but you can fix it I use this to fix it. it was a pain using that rom RUU 2.1 that's what i was worried about when sprint release the official ver. I wouldn't be able to load it since i couldn't load a custom rom http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...pair-your-bootloader-after-using-2-1-ruu.html

i have done everything and I am getting a black screen and a red triangle, any Idea what else can i do please can someone helph me PLEASE>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34