Rooting Question

gamy2121

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Thinking of rooting my hero tonight but Ive seen a couple of different threads where it says you lose camera and or sense ui. Can some one confirm this or tell me the deal? also which would be the best rom to use?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
no, only if you use certain ROM's You'll be fine with standard ROM's like the sprint leak or something like DamageControl. I have sense and camera and 2.1

gamy2121

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Oh and last question, someone told me android market wont work, is this true? Sorry for all the noob questions.... I was pretty much a blackberry expert and decided to switch

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
nah, it works better as there are more apps available in 2.1 when you install a 2.1 ROM. The issue has been resolved and is built into damage control. I would download that one first, see how you like it and decide from there if you want to try something else.

Its very quick if you are prepared. The longest part is waiting for the Java developer kit to install (make sure you get the 32-bit no matter what platform you have). Sun Microsystem's servers suck. Theres no reason why a file of that size should take that long to download.
The other tricky part is the drivers. Please let me know if you want me to help you tonight, I should be free. AIM pharmerandy2010
Now that LogMeIn is in the market, i can even do it for you from my phone :p

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
lol, I can access computers from my phone with the logmein client installed under my account. I set one up specifically for rooting. Don't worry, its just my geekyness. I've been using it to do tech support for my parents while I was away for college. shoot me a private message or AIM message when you are ready, im actually working with my dad's blackberry right now.

Jkap

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my phone yesterday and it is well worth it! The phone is sooo much faster and everything works just fun for me. I used the beezy420 2.1 option 4 ROM. No market problems, no camera problems either... The only thing is facebook struggled to sync but there is a tedious way of getting it to work :)

userml1653

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I want to do this. But what are the steps to get 2.1 on my phone? Do I need to root it and then install the 2.1 rom? Or do I simply install the 2.1 rom?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I want to do this. But what are the steps to get 2.1 on my phone? Do I need to root it and then install the 2.1 rom? Or do I simply install the 2.1 rom?

You can run the stock 2.1 ruu,but make sure you understand the cautions!!!!
I wouldn't ruu.I would go the route of rooting and flashing.

Jkap

May 8, 2010
Visit site

root first : http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-sprint-hero-condensed-easy-read-version.html

Then get 2.1, there is a guide somewhere on the forums also that i used yesterday. Just search around on the forums and you will find infinite amount information about how to put 2.1 on your phone and other additions :)

edit: beezy420 just beat with the link :)
edit2: here is the guide to how i went to 2.1. http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-roms-hacks/9578-how-go-stock-custom-2-1-a.html

Last edited:

userml1653

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I did it and the phone runs a lot smoother. But I am having some problems. The battery dies really fast and the phone reboots itself sometimes.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
next time the phone is fully charged, power off and go into recovery. Go to the wipe and wipe the battery stats. Let me know if this works. In the meantime you can see whats draining your battery in settings-->About Phone-->Battery (your awake and uptime should be pretty far apart)-->Battery Use

userml1653

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I just wiped the battery stats, but the awake time and uptime are still the same. I havent tried any other roms. You think I should try another rom?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11