Sprint Hero always awake

klopinator

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

OK, I've researched this pretty thoroughly and still can't seem to find my answer, so I'm hoping someone can help me delve a bit deeper. I bought my Hero sometime around the beginning of March, and have had the absolute worst problem with battery life and running hot.

I talked to Sprint at one point, and tech support told me it was the charger or battery, to go to a store and they'd give me a new battery, and if the battery wasn't the issue, they could replace the phone under warranty.

There is no Sprint store for about 150 miles, and I was impatient. I was going to root it anyway, if it was a software issue hopefully I'd fix it?

But my problems have continued, so I'm hoping to find help from you guys.

Currently my up time is 27 hrs, and awake time is 27 hrs. I'm thinking the issue is that the phone NEVER sleeps...obviously. The only time it cools down under about 38 C is when it's been sitting, not plugged in, and not in a pocket. Otherwise I've seen this thing hit about 51 C, which I imagine can't be good.

The battery lasts about 2-3 hrs talk time, maybe. And if I pull it off with a fresh charge in the morning after an A/C charge, and I play with it for 20 min or so, I'm lucky if it's got over 70% battery life.

I am aware of the issue before where Messages didn't allow your dialer to sleep or something, and that you had to switch apps and disable notifications in Messages to fix it...but that doesn't seem to stop Messages from running...is that my issue?

The facts:

Now running Beezy420's (EXCELLENT) 2.1 lite Option 4.
It happens regardless of LWP active or not.
I run SetCPU now, and it's set to go down to 245Mhz when the screen is off.
The stock Messaging app is completely disabled, and I use Handcent.

Currently running processes, from PeakMemFree (I'm not certain what's a process and what's a service, and as I understand, the processes quit running when it sleeps, services do not?) I have not rebooted or cleaned up this list, for the sake of ensuring I don't omit something that may trigger an "Aha!"

HTC Checkin Service
HTC Sense
Quick Search Box/People/Contacts Storage
Dialer Storage/Dialer
Gmail Storage/Google Settings
Handcent SMS
Touch Input
The Weather Channel
HTC Weather Sync Provider
PeakMemUsage
K-9 Mail (Push)
Settings
HTCIQAgent
SetCPU
Updater
Seesmic
Customization Settings Provider
OMADM

Anyone who has any input would be greatly appreciated. I've tried all the obvious stuff...screen brightness, removing updating apps or notifications, turning off wifi/BT/GPS when not in use...nothing really seems to help.

Considering just taking the plunge and buying a new batt/external charger on Ebay, but I don't want to waste the $20 if I don't have to.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Install spare parts from the market.

Open it up, and look through Battery History

Under Other usage, since last unplugged, does anything say 100%?

klopinator

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Sigh...

You know how you can never diagnose the problem when you need to? Like you take your car to the mechanic, and ask him what that noise is, he calls you back 2 days later and says "we can't replicate it."

I installed Spare Parts. Had it on 1.5, hadn't bothered yet on 2.1. Had it sitting here not plugged in for about 45 min maybe now and it's showing 44% standby, 38% phone idle, 11% wi-fi, 7% display.

I must have restarted and not thought about it. I'm also not showing the same up as awake time either...now. Maybe there's a certain app that triggers this. I've never seen that screen in SP, so I'll watch this for a day or two.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my phone after rooting it. I'd use the camera and then see that the camera was using 95% of the battery usage. I would check by going to Settings-> About Phone -> Battery -> Battery Use (android 2.1). I think Spare Parts will show the same thing. Normally I would restart and this would resolve the issue. Do not some apps will not let your phone sleep. Last.fm and Doggcatcher are two I use that have processes that will keep your phone awake. They also never show up on that battery use screen too.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
You know how you can never diagnose the problem when you need to? Like you take your car to the mechanic, and ask him what that noise is, he calls you back 2 days later and says "we can't replicate it."

I installed Spare Parts. Had it on 1.5, hadn't bothered yet on 2.1. Had it sitting here not plugged in for about 45 min maybe now and it's showing 44% standby, 38% phone idle, 11% wi-fi, 7% display.

I must have restarted and not thought about it. I'm also not showing the same up as awake time either...now. Maybe there's a certain app that triggers this. I've never seen that screen in SP, so I'll watch this for a day or two.

LOL. I know exactly what ya mean.

Good luck. Hope you find your rouge app. Mine was Youmail

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

MSK01

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Go to the market and download Advanced Task Killer. Your problem is that a few apps are contstantly running. Just kill them every couple of hours and the battery life on your phone will be much better.

klopinator

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Stopping processes isn't really the issue - I've tried stopping it to the point where it's pretty much running native, nothing extra at all...battery power still flies away...

...noone has said much about the heat? As a computer tech I'm well aware that most of the time we can solve stuff while looking at the screen, but I'm really curious if my issue might be in my battery or charging mechanism?

mountaindont

May 17, 2010
Visit site
hi there
i heard some rumors over at xda that the GSM auto is still an issue with the latest leaks. while its not confirmation, i have noticed that when applying the fix, the default is GSM auto

dial this into your keypad

*#*#4636#*#*

this will bring up the testing menu
go to phone information
hit menu, and "select radio band"
your radio should cut out for a moment, and when the screen refreshes, youll not your preferred network type is *suddenly* set to gsm auto. simply set that to cdma auto, and you should be all set.

happy flashing!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante