Just ordered Sprint Hero, what's first!?

fossill

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone!

I just ordered my Sprint Hero off of Ebay today. Already shipping, reputable seller, I am STOKED. I paid $389 shipped brand new.

I currently have a Pre, love the Pre, wanted more apps and I love the interface of the Hero.

What's the first thing I should do once I get the Hero? Any specific apps, hacks, tips, tricks!?

I am pretty excited if you couldn't tell... I've ready every review, watched every video, before I hit the "Buy" button, so I am pretty aware of what I am getting in stock form.

Thanks everyone!
Mario

pacha248

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
1. Open the voicemail app which should prompt you to update it.
2. Go to the market and download Handcent SMS and use that as your text/mms app.
3. Open the Messaging app that came with the phone and disable the notifications and the Auto-retrieve setting.
4. Open the Handcent app and turn on your Notification and Auto-Retrieve settings.
5. Enjoy your Hero
6. <Optional> Post an ad on craigslist or ebay and sell your Pre

The last one is optional because I have both phones too and I don't know if I'm going to sell my pre yet or not. I'm a phone addict and for some reason I can never sell any of my old phones lol

Last edited:

redram38

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
And if you use Bluethooth get ready for memory leak, and forget voice dial, it is safer to text while you drive blindfolded. 2 Big things they nned to fix fast IMO

highwayman1224

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
And if you use Bluethooth get ready for memory leak, and forget voice dial, it is safer to text while you drive blindfolded. 2 Big things they nned to fix fast IMO

You can't tell somebody to get ready for a memory leak if they use Bluetooth. Its not something that is happening to everyone. I use a jawbone2 & don't have any memory leaks.

redram38

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
You can't tell somebody to get ready for a memory leak if they use Bluetooth. Its not something that is happening to everyone. I use a jawbone2 & don't have any memory leaks.

Well I am happy for you, however it is happening to many many many. To test I did a factory reset yesterday, installed all my apps back and have not enabled BT, and would you believe it no memory leaks yet. BT IS a problem and this person needs to know about it. Just because you have no issues does not mean they won't.
And again don't even get me started on the so called voice dial.

fossill

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
No plans for bluetooth you guys, so no need to rumble :)

Thanks for the information pacha248, I will definitely do that the second I turn her on!

w00t@!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a few services (bank for one) that sends txt via that method and curious about this said security flaw. Care to post a link or details?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero/713-sms-issue.html has the basics.

The rest I'm not going to comment on too much, at least until it gets fixed. Just know that for the time being, ANY CDMA hero (and likely Eris) can be brought to a screeching halt by anyone who knows your phone number and access to a PC running Windows Live Messenger. Sprint knows. HTC knows. Both have thanked everyone involved and claim they will fix "soon". As of 4:00 AM this morning I have my Hero rooted and am seeing if I can fix it myself. Rest assured that if I find a fix I'll let EVERYONE here know, then post the exploit right at Sprint's forums once we are all patched ;)

moquette

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero/713-sms-issue.html has the basics.

The rest I'm not going to comment on too much, at least until it gets fixed. Just know that for the time being, ANY CDMA hero (and likely Eris) can be brought to a screeching halt by anyone who knows your phone number and access to a PC running Windows Live Messenger. Sprint knows. HTC knows. Both have thanked everyone involved and claim they will fix "soon". As of 4:00 AM this morning I have my Hero rooted and am seeing if I can fix it myself. Rest assured that if I find a fix I'll let EVERYONE here know, then post the exploit right at Sprint's forums once we are all patched ;)

Amen to that!

Noj

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

hahaha.... ;)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon