Question about sms, nobody seems to know...

leron86

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey whats going on, new android user here, switched over from blackberry and I am wondering if android has something like BBM? orr is there a app OR way i can have a private chat with someone, outside of the regular threaded text? We wanna have our own chat area, outside of 'messages'. is google talk or only option or can handcent do this? thanks much guys..

and on that note, how do you only get messages to your handcent, not handcent AND messages? some type of firewall block perhaps..? Thanks much everyone...

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Handcent & chompsms both need the stock messaging app present. You can shut off notifications from the stock app so you don't feel like you're receiving duplicate messages.
And I can't answer your other question cause I surely don't know

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Gtalk is the next best thing as far as messengers go for Android. I use to have a blackberry too and still talk to quite a few bb users on gtalk. It works really good. It doesn't have all the features that bbm has like sending files, but it serves its purpose.

josh_johnson11

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree with li2327. GTalk has replaced what I used my BBM for and it has its benefits. I love that you can sit at your computer on GMail and chat with your friend on the road through their phone and vice versa. I don't like that you can't send various files and that it doesn't show you when they've read the message or are typing. Another positive thing is that the person you're communicating with doesn't need to have an Android phone, just the GTalk app or a GMail account.

josh_johnson11

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree with li2327. GTalk has replaced what I used my BBM for and it has its benefits. I love that you can sit at your computer on GMail and chat with your friend on the road through their phone and vice versa. I don't like that you can't send various files and that it doesn't show you when they've read the message or are typing. Another positive thing is that the person you're communicating with doesn't need to have an Android phone, just the GTalk app or a GMail account.

BONUS ROUND: I also installed the "Green Robot!" lab in my GMail (Google Labs icon in top right of GMail screen) so that if any of my chat friends are using GTalk on their Android phone they will show up as little green androids instead of the regular green dot. Nice to know who's an Android lover out there!