Sprint Hero 2.1 released(facts and finding/complaints)thread

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Update on my upgrade: it went fine! I did have to smack down the HTC Sync "hey I see your phone, can I add it to my list" prompt that came up, but otherwise it stayed out of the way. The actual code update push took about 6 minutes, far less than the 10/20 minutes I'd heard. Reconfiguring my phone now. Thanks!

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Update on my upgrade: it went fine! I did have to smack down the HTC Sync "hey I see your phone, can I add it to my list" prompt that came up, but otherwise it stayed out of the way. The actual code update push took about 6 minutes, far less than the 10/20 minutes I'd heard. Reconfiguring my phone now. Thanks!

Cool,glad you got it goin.Thanks for the info.

deadeye99

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok. After reading all these posts I was afraid to update. Finally on Memorial day I pulled the trigger. I read on the sprint forum that people were having better luck if they reset the phone 1st. Made sense to me and all the settings were being erased anyway. It only took a few minutes and the only issues I had were the camera and map showed a battery drain. That only happened the first time I used them. Other than that everything works better than before and there is no phone lag or anything. Just my .02

techsamaritan

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I didn't read through all the comments but I had the Moment and thought I'd update the hero and are the difference between the 2 and I've been very surprised at the speed and no more lagging. I'm very happy and think I'll stick with because it has more features than the Moment. Can't wait for 2.2!

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I didn't read through all the comments but I had the Moment and thought I'd update the hero and are the difference between the 2 and I've been very surprised at the speed and no more lagging. I'm very happy and think I'll stick with because it has more features than the Moment. Can't wait for 2.2!

I doubt will see 2.2 official for the sprint hero anytime soon/if ever.lol
If they are going to make 2.2 for the cdma hero then i see sprint taking their sweeta** time getting it working an out to the user(us).

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Nah, just kill that rumor dead before you even restart it. 2.1 is it for the Hero.

I'm enjoying it just fine and will be happy with 2.1 for a year or so. Then I'll move on to another phone and take the big leap forward to whatever's out then.

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Just to parse that a little better:

You can not update from 1.5 to 2.1 via over the air.

Once you have 2.1, you can get incremental updates OF 2.1 over the air. For example, a week ago Sprint issued a minor update to 2.1 that fixed a few minor problems seen since the May 19th release of 2.1.

The 2.1 update that you can download from Sprint now includes that fix.

acuda27

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Got a couple complaints lol

Google Maps Navagation is all screwed up. It talks and shows the street im going to turn on next and the time it will take to get there but the screen is black where the map is suppose to show, so I cant see the streets coming up or anything. Then after like 4 minutes of running it force closes and reboots my phone!

Internet is good, but after being on it for a couple minutes when I close it, It REBOOTS my phone, and then the market wont work as well as the internet unless I power off/on my phone AGAIN after it just did it automatically.

Is anyone else having these issues cuz they are really starting to get annoying!

lucky4meman

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Yes. My phone seems to do it right after being on the internet or on google maps. After I get out of those apps the HTC screen pops up with a white background like I just restarted my phone.

Also... When making phone calls... if I make one right after I just made one, it takes about 1-2 minutes to actually dial out. I always question if I hit the call button or not, but then if I hit the call button again it makes two calls to the person. Otherwise if I only hit it once, it doesn't call out until after my screen goes black.

This is with the stock 2.1 update b.t.w.

ZombieRace

May 28, 2010
Visit site
After I get out of those apps the HTC screen pops up with a white background like I just restarted my phone.

This sounds a lot like the Sense UI launcher has crashed and is reloading.

On my Evo, when I switch back and forth between launchers, and if I have forced Sense UI to close, loading Sense UI launcher causes the white screen w/HTC logo to appear while it initially loads the UI elements.

Edit: Also, I'm lurking on this thread as I'm upgrading my fiancee's Hero. Seems like it's kind of a hit or miss update, but is it really any worse than her current build? The lag gets pretty obnoxious at times. She's got the patience of a saint, so she just works through it. :p

Last edited:

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
This sounds a lot like the Sense UI launcher has crashed and is reloading.

On my Evo, when I switch back and forth between launchers, and if I have forced Sense UI to close, loading Sense UI launcher causes the white screen w/HTC logo to appear while it initially loads the UI elements.

Edit: Also, I'm lurking on this thread as I'm upgrading my fiancee's Hero. Seems like it's kind of a hit or miss update, but is it really any worse than her current build? The lag gets pretty obnoxious at times. She's got the patience of a saint, so she just works through it. :p

Have you thought about putting a custom 2.1 rom on it?

bsmith1051

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
bsmith, Sprint issued an incremental update a few days ago to take the phone from 2.27.651.5
to 2.27.651.6
All I've ever read about the OTA upgrade was that it 'fixed' root access.

Instead, I've had a lot of success with using the 'Services' widget to close the "SprintTV" service that always auto-loads. Closing it doesn't fix all the problems (certainly had no effect on the flaky BT) but whenever I have a serious lag on the dialer I go to the Services and there it is -- SprintTV and 0 MB available memory.

re BT problems, apparently the 1.5 firmware was running BT code from HTC but now 2.1 includes 'original' Google code -- but it doesn't support the HTC hardware properly. Yet.

The Mac

May 18, 2010
Visit site
of course its possible.

if youve OTAed to .6, just run the .5 RUU, there is a link floating around somewhere, and then follow the instructions for rooting 2.1

ChrisC

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
... I've had a lot of success with using the 'Services' widget to close the "SprintTV" service that always auto-loads. Closing it doesn't fix all the problems (certainly had no effect on the flaky BT) but whenever I have a serious lag on the dialer I go to the Services and there it is -- SprintTV and 0 MB available memory.

Thanks for that tip. It took me a bit to find that thing (Home -> Add (+) -> Shortcuts -> Running Services) but now I've got it and have killed Sprint TV.

Hopefully this will fixed some frustration I've had with Calendar updates failing to sync, in both directions. If that persists I'm going to open another thread on it. There may be a serious bug there, perhaps related to internet connectivity on the phone. I've rebooted my phone more in the last week than I did in the 5 months with 1.5 ...

2j3mking

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I am having a TON of issues with 2.1! I'm on my second phone, my first randomly shut down 12-20 times a day. Now this one randomly shuts down 1-5 times a day, the touch keyboard doesn't work when it doesn't feel like it and I'm having the same 30-40 second lag time when trying to make a phone call that I've seen others have. I was on the phone with tech. support (which I HATE to do) with 3 different people today 'til they finally agreed to ship me yet another phone. Is anyone else having all of these issues? I've done more battery pulls than I care to count. I got rid of a bb for an Android....I'm starting to wonder if that was a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez