Jumping from Blackberry to Hero. Some questions...

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
The Hero price and Android OS have made it a no-brainer as far as jumping ship but...
1. How is the Hero GPS?
2. Google integration?
3. We Browsing?
Thanks in advance for any answers.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
GPS is AMAZING! Google maps nav is second to none. I was in the car with my gf and her Pre... it couldn't give anything more than cell tower triangulation cause the antenna sucks and is blocked by most cars. Hero... Not a problem.
Google integration is second to no other phone. The only gripe I have so far is still no google docs app, but its OK, there are office apps (one comes on the phone by default)
Web browsing is better on the Hero than any Blackberry currently on the market cause its a full HTML web browser, and also supports some flash content because its a Sense Phone.
If you are getting a new one... try it out first. Lots of issues with official 2.1 release that have been removed and fixed in custom ROMs. It isn't currently possible to put a custom ROM on the phone if you have an official 2.1 release, so I would try it out in the store first, see if the lag on the keyboard is bearable (may not be coming from a physical keyboard). If you are getting a used one, make sure its rooted, or at least still has 1.5 on it.

yorel23

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
If you are getting a new one... try it out first. Lots of issues with official 2.1 release that have been removed and fixed in custom ROMs. It isn't currently possible to put a custom ROM on the phone if you have an official 2.1 release, so I would try it out in the store first, see if the lag on the keyboard is bearable (may not be coming from a physical keyboard). If you are getting a used one, make sure its rooted, or at least still has 1.5 on it.

I have been considering this same switch (Blackberry to Hero) on my Alltel plan. The Alltel Hero comes with 2.1 installed. What is the likelihood that this version will be able to be rooted in the future? I'm not even sure that I would want to root, but just in case. Also, what are some of the biggest issues that people are having with 2.1? Thanks.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, folks over at XDA are working diligently on trying to find root, but they are pretty much at a standstill. Its hard to find people to crack it twice...

youlege

May 19, 2010
Visit site
... The only gripe I have so far is still no google docs app, but its OK, there are office apps (one comes on the phone by default)...

Have you checked out GDocs. I have it installed but have not really used it yet, I've only had the phone for a few days now. I had a PRE before, but so far I'm liking the android.

travis.pickard

May 26, 2010
Visit site
When you say 'Hero', are you referring to the Sprint Hero? I would assume so, as most Americans still don't realize that other countries exist.

Personally, I made the jump from BlackBerry to Android on April 19th this year (Yes, I can even remember the date...due to it being a fantastic decision!) I have a GSM Hero on Telus, and running the stock Android 1.5. I have zero complaints whatsoever with this device...I can give you a list of BB gripes if you really want me to, but you probably already know these issues.

Don't even bother continuing to consider the switch - just do it. Switch to almost any newer Android powered phone and you will be happy.

To answer your question directly:

GPS = works perfectly for all apps except Google Maps surprisingly.
Google Integration = Second to none (My life revolves around Google)
Web Browsing = Have you even tried viewing a web page on a BB??? Of course Android and the Hero are better!!!!!

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Some thoughts since I made the change:

1. The Blackberry's selling point is its ability to synchronize all incoming communications. As far as I can see, that remains its selling point. That being said, push Gmail, the notifications window on the home screen, and endless customization with SMS programs (i use Handcent + Swype) trumps any claim RIM had to being the communications master.

2. The Hero is somewhat of an older model Android device, and my Blackberry was outdated. No new OS updates are going to be made available through the providers for either. The main difference here is that even older Android devices can be rooted and the HTC Sense UI, no matter what phone, is still years ahead of even Blackberry 6.

3. The Hero does something I've been waiting for RIM to implement for about five years now and still doesn't, namely pushing contacts and calander information without having to download another program.

4. Just to check the accessibility of contacts and internet searches, I created a scene wherein the homepage was solely the google search widget. It was still easier and quicker to access things with that alone than with anything RIM has done.

I'm an objective person, and seeing how the Android OS is multicarrier, I can no longer see why anyone would choose a Blackberry over just about any device running Android.

slipdisc

Jun 3, 2010
www.phat1.com
I'm an objective person, and seeing how the Android OS is multicarrier, I can no longer see why anyone would choose a Blackberry over just about any device running Android.

I totally agree with everything you said. Android is definitely leading the way with innovation.

I too came from a Blackberry device. But there are plenty of companies still using and are heavily invested in Blackberry and BES.

But if you have a choice, its pretty simple. Android FTW!

alex737

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
The Hero price and Android OS have made it a no-brainer as far as jumping ship but...
1. How is the Hero GPS?
2. Google integration?
3. We Browsing?
Thanks in advance for any answers.

The GPS is the ****. Google nav rules.
The google integration is excellent. Mail, contacts, calendar. Gdocs lets you access your google docs. Web is fast.
I left blackberry in November. The only issue I have is battery life. If you use any other email, it is slower, but google integration is amazing. Sometimes my mail comes faster to my phone than my pc

Arizona Treo

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Some thoughts since I made the change:

1. The Blackberry's selling point is its ability to synchronize all incoming communications. As far as I can see, that remains its selling point. That being said, push Gmail, the notifications window on the home screen, and endless customization with SMS programs (i use Handcent + Swype) trumps any claim RIM had to being the communications master.

2. The Hero is somewhat of an older model Android device, and my Blackberry was outdated. No new OS updates are going to be made available through the providers for either. The main difference here is that even older Android devices can be rooted and the HTC Sense UI, no matter what phone, is still years ahead of even Blackberry 6.

3. The Hero does something I've been waiting for RIM to implement for about five years now and still doesn't, namely pushing contacts and calander information without having to download another program.

4. Just to check the accessibility of contacts and internet searches, I created a scene wherein the homepage was solely the google search widget. It was still easier and quicker to access things with that alone than with anything RIM has done.

100% agree! I could not wait to switch to an Android from BB once I saw what it can do! Email is still push IMAP using K-9 Mail. 5-10 seconds, sometimes 20..same as BB. Using 3g or 1x the Andorid with 1-3 bars will stream a video without it being choppy..BB Tour was not able to do that, let alone load a webpage which took forever..or html from an email- forget it.

Turning on wifi changes everything.. The wifi antenna seems to be to the right of the keyboard..not a great spot but for close connections it works fine.

A majority of the programs that were paid in App World are FREE for Android. Android is open source & I think all BB applications have to be approved by RIM.

Tethering was a big deal, have that for free also. Dont use it much, if I need to view sat maps on a larger screen, send an email, get a program off the home computer etc. Logmein has a free Android App!

Being able to swipe to a screen with its own structure is huge! The BB was not user friendly in that department.

Since the BB was already synced to Google for Calendar & Contacts the Android read it and was ready to go. Setup has been a breeze and almost instantly the new Android far surpassed what the BB did and it keeps expanding!

Arizona Treo

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
While the switch over has been simple it has not come without its issues.

Battery is not one of them, that issue is simple.

On the BB Google Sync is its own program allowing the user to sync to any Gmail address. The Android wants the Calendar/Contacts sync address to be the first address or whats called the administrator email address.

I keep both of those email addresses separate.

The sync address is an email I do not give out to anyone. Only compromise is add 2 email addresses in the settings and use the administrator email to sync the calendar and the 2nd email which I used for the BB sync for contacts. The Android will not let me sync both contacts & calendar to the 2nd email address..on the contacts.

Same goes for Google Chat using only the administrator email address. There is not an option to change email addresses in the chat. So I do not use it right now, since I do not give out the email which is locked to the administrator email.

Other annoyance is ringtones..

Have seen many posts on this and no real resolution.

There is no one area in the settings to control all the ringtones..each ringtone is controlled individually by each program. Can deal with what.. but

For email only I use a stock midi ringtone..

For all other things - Phone, messaging, Twitter & Facebook I use a mp3 ringtone that is 30 seconds long.

When the phone rings the volume up button silences the phone ringtone..

For every other ringtone, Twitter, Facebook & Messaging etc. no button on the phone when locked will silence the ringtone.. 30 seconds of un stoppable music.. very annoying.

There is a program called phone flip which only works when the phone is out of the holster and the phone "has" to be turned over for the full 30 seconds. Once turned over within the 30 seconds the ringtone starts up again until 30 seconds is up.

Silence is an option but with a busy day walking sometimes the vibrate is not felt. Carrying items with the BB it was simple with a finger touch the volume up button to silence any ringtone. With the Android it requires a free hand to pull the phone out, unlock and enter the program causing the ringtone to go off and silence it. Handcent SMS does give me a pop up, still have to unlock the phone and click the x. Annoying if 20+ texts come across in an hour.

I sincerely hope 2.2 addresses this issue!!!

troyn60

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I switched from a BB to a Hero, and for the most part I'm very pleased with the change. I'm not big on Gmail (I've used a yahoo account for years), so Google integration isn't just huge for me. I do prefer two things about BB over the android OS, and those are the push email and facebook app. The BB email works absolutely flawlessly, and I've yet to see a third party app that can compare. In most cases, any third party app that claims to push email often will not work correctly. One such app even took part of a text message that I had received and put it in to an email that I had sent earlier and sent it as a text to the person I was texting. And I've yet to see a Facebook app that compares to the BB, which pushes notifications and wall posts, also. And their app shows actual status updates all at once instead of the news feed, which I can hardly stand. I don't care who did what in Mafia Wars. All told, if it can be pushed, BB pushes it.
With all of that said, though, I love everything else better about the android OS.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the Facebook app for Android is... lacking, to say the least. I do wish that they would get it right. It just lacks basic functions, such as hiding posts and chat, that should be there. Maybe one of these days they'll get it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles