Will the HTC Hero get Froyo?

The Mac

May 18, 2010
Visit site
any reason why sense for 2.1 couldnt be ported over to work on 2.2? i was under the impression everything was backward compatable...

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I ran theirs first,its freaking bad***,but i would say that if your not handy with things wait till they post it.Im running one that I put together with some of their stuff.Linpackin at 5.4 steady.Its not far off from being released to the masses.lol

I couldn't resist... I connected to the IRC and dl'd it. I have had it going 30 minutes so far and it kicks ass. The decision for me was when I saw that the version there now doesn't destroy recovery anymore (I had read that the IRC one did, but I guess they are past that.).

Linpack was about 4.2 w/o OC, 5.2 with.

It does however hate my SD card, it says that it is blank or not recognized. Not a big deal, I had a couple 2gb cards around, perfect for playing w/ froyo!

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't resist... I connected to the IRC and dl'd it. I have had it going 30 minutes so far and it kicks ass. The decision for me was when I saw that the version there now doesn't destroy recovery anymore (I had read that the IRC one did, but I guess they are past that.).

Linpack was about 4.2 w/o OC, 5.2 with.

It does however hate my SD card, it says that it is blank or not recognized. Not a big deal, I had a couple 2gb cards around, perfect for playing w/ froyo!

I knew you would.:p

The Mac

May 18, 2010
Visit site
apparently, you cant have an ext partition, or it wont recognize ur sd. Has its own way of doing a2sd, and sees the 1st partition (ext) as the sd card and gets confused.

so, yeah, youll need a different SD card unless you want to reformat ur current one...

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
apparently, you cant have an ext partition, or it wont recognize ur sd. Has its own way of doing a2sd, and sees the 1st partition (ext) as the sd card and gets confused.

so, yeah, youll need a different SD card unless you want to reformat ur current one...

I guessed that it had to do with the ext, because the recovery mode was still reading all the zips to flash the google apps and the mms fix. Thats why I stuck in another sd card, and that worked.

And your your next comment, yes, I do like sense UI better, but I am excited to try froyo...

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
just copy everything to a folder on a pc allow reformatting and copy back?

You would have to remove the EXT partitions, I believe. It would be a similar process used to make the partions, but assign all the memory back to the original partition. Defiantly copy everything to the computer first.

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I spent a while screwing around with Froyo. I enjoyed my time, but was not able to solve much. Of course GPS and the camera don't work as stated. Neither do live wallpapers. I also found that not everything is in the market, for instance i couldn't find homerun battle 3d (which i have purchased.) I wanted to compare it to how it ran on breezy's honeybun.

Just so everyone knows that swapping sd cards and backing up 2.1 and 2.2 gets confusing, as they don't much like each others SD cards...

Also... I tried flashing visual voice mail from here to 2.2 and it causes a boot cycle. I tried opening the zip in astro file manage and installing the apk. It looks like it is working, but refuses to download voicemails, and you will get a text message saying to connect to voicemail. It doesn't force close.

Eh... I'm no developer, but froyo is cool and getting close.

The Mac

May 18, 2010
Visit site
as soon as someone duct-tapes sensce ontop, ill be all over froyo like a fat kid on a cupcake. 4.85 Mflops in linpack!!!

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm curious, do you think Sprint and/or HTC should, would, or could be able to throw us Hero owners a bone by issuing one final ota update allowing root access? Seeing as how we're going to be left behind when 2.2 comes along. It would be nice, but I doubt it would happen. Samsung should do the same for Moment owners, too.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
the should but wont. the want you to buy a new phone every year. they will never give you root access. it opens too many doors, and they dont want to support the phone when you break things.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you're right. :) I was just looking for the easy way to root. I will eventually, I just haven't worked up the courage to try it yet. :[

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
When your ready let us know. There are plenty of people here that will be there to help. We will answer your questions, if you have any, point you in the right direction, hold your hand if you need it , and ive even heard about someone here rooting spmeones phone remotely. :D

Hero23

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to "root" to 2.2 yet? Is it even possible to root your phone right now if you have the latest update for the Hero?

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
yes even if you have the latest update you can still root. and its possible to flash your phone to 2.2 although not advisable as you would not have gps or a functioning camera. i believe another issue is that someone can call you but you cant hear them or they cant hear you, something like that. through time the devs will fix that and we should get 2.2. Until then root and enjoy the vast amount of 2.1 roms available to play with. :)

Hero23

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
How exactly do I go about rooting though? Especially if I'm using a Mac?

I mean, I'm coming from Blackberry, so this open source goodness is new to me... The most I've done with a device like this is "Jailbreak" my iPod Touch.