Best "MOD" I've made to my Hero. Definitely Eye Candy to all of you with problems

SPL15

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
<rant>
Finally got fed up with the CONSTANT lockups when receiving calls from clients, the loss of data connection leading to missed important emails, the constant battery pulls to shut the phone up after a notification that continues on end when it is locked up. The constant lag leading to random dialing of clients & being unable to hangup before the connection. This is the end result after meeting a brick wall at 30 MPH. I had my other hand full so I couldnt pull the battery & the minute long ringing after missing an important call from a lockup sent me over the edge.

HTC Hero = typical Chinese worthless crap where specs on paper trump real world function & quality. This is China's business model where they produce a seamingly good product on paper, but cut so many corners on design while packing in features that just plain out don't work. While at the moment it seams to be working, China's economy will drop like a rock when people stop buying their crap engineered products. JUST LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO THE U.S. CAR MARKET!

No Insurance so it cost me full price to buy a Samsung Moment which seamed to perform BETTER with the stock 2.1 update. I woulda been happy with the Moment for sure as I could actually answer calls, but for the same price I could get the EVO so I'm giving HTC one last chance to produce a device that works. So far, I'm not overly impressed, but the screen is nice. BUT once again, specs on paper trump real world function (30FPS cap, 8MP camera that takes grainy pics, etc, etc etc if you read the EVO forum) I'll be sure to not smash the EVO against a brick wall though, it was a costly mistake with the Hero.

I think google needs to do what MS is doing, make a specific hardware platform structure & ensure the quality of the handsets that other manufactuers are producing. Apple seams to be doing quite well with this model, but I can't stand their locked down communistic approach to their products.

OK I'm done</rant>

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
htc is a Taiwanese company and thier phones just like Apple USA and everything else is manufactured in China for cheap labor and environmental purposes the engineering and design is done in those perspective countries.

Last edited:

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Really the Hero is year old tech running bad software. This phone reminds me of running Windows 95 on my Gateway P75 just without the blue screen of death. Flashing custom roms has helped a lot but I if I go 60 hours without powering down the phone performance starts to suck. The Hero is ram starved. I feel like a sucker for buying this phone last fall. It's really only worth the $50 or less you can find it for now.

SPL15

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I group Tiawan & China as one. The only Asian Manufacturing country I've been happy dealing with on a consistant basis in electronics manufacturing is Korea. Overall, their quality is very good, but you still need to press them to make sure they keep it up. They do occasionally make unauthorized component changes but tell the truth if issues arise & never repeat that same issue again. China & Tiawan, we will get great samples for pretrial testing & UL certification, then in production they swap things unauthorized & lie about it when proof is in their face that they are lying. Our lab in China, OWNED BY OUR COMPANY will straight lie to us about their testing & manufacturing & then repeat the same exact BS after we go there & show them how to do things correctly, this is typical in China & with several different manufacturers in China & Taiwan.

HTC is it's own identity & follow the current Chinese business model of marketing to American stereotypes, poor quality, & blatant lying. Apple goes through Foxconn which actually makes great quality electronics, there is a reason Foxconn is used as an OEM by major brands & also has their own very successful brand under their Foxconn name. I think HTC has GREAT potential, but they need to quite being bigger than they are. They are producing a lot of flawed product because the number projections say it's all good. But just like any company, quality is what sustains them in the long run. My first HTC 6700 met the SAME fate as this last Hero. Bugged lagging POS.

Yea, I should have been a bit more mature in my frustration... But after so many times of holding myself back from chucking the Hero, I just had to do it. Cost me bit, but I could not be more glad that I did. So far I'm fairly happy with the EVO, but I'm still a bit sketchy on some of the shortcomings & obvious manufacturing/engineering shortcuts. I lost several MASSIVE deals because the Hero screwed me over. $600 loss on the Hero to buy a phone that seams to be working as a phone will MORE than recoup these costs the FIRST time I can answer my phone or respond to a quote request immiediately... instead of pulling the battery, waiting to reboot, end the accidental dials & accidental conference calls because the phone lagged & I pressed a bunch of buttons. I've had potential clients hang up on me because somehow my hero conference called them with their competitor when it would lag 30 seconds before dialing.

& Voghan. I feel like a sucker as well. If you arent looking to upgrade, try to find a samsung moment. I had it for a few days before my EVO came in & it worked great with the STOCK 2.1 upgrage from Sprint. No root & ROMs needed to make it act as a useable phone.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't hate the Hero, I just realize it's got it's flaws. I don't think the phone is worth the $300 I spent on last fall.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan