problems with gmail sync
im having problems with my gmail account syncing on my sprint htc hero.. after a couple of frustrating hard resets sprint has sent me a new one. the question i have is whether or not gtalk has to be running in order for gmail to sync. i have noticed that gmail does seem to work if i leave gtalk open(but not signed in).
- 07-01-2010, 11:38 PM #2
- 07-02-2010, 08:57 PM #3
- 07-03-2010, 02:04 AM #4
- 07-03-2010, 09:47 AM #5
- 211 Posts
I called Sprint Tech support and was on the phone with them for close to an hour and all they did was have me turn off the phone, take out the battery, and wait while they refreshed the network. That of course didn't fix the problem.
What does this five minute fix involve? I hope it isn't resetting the phone.
- 07-03-2010, 08:30 PM #6
- 48 Posts
For me resetting is not an option, unless Gmail and my calendar stop syncing.
The great thing about Android is the fact that it is HIGHLY customizable. Resetting, which I have done once when all sync functions stopped, is a pain in the ***!!
Customizing my Hero takes WAY too much time.
Hoping Google or someone has the answer.
- 07-03-2010, 10:33 PM #7
- 07-04-2010, 09:38 AM #8
- 07-04-2010, 11:46 PM #9
- 08-04-2010, 12:13 PM #10
- 2 Posts
Same problem. Primary account (personal) works just fine. The secondary gmail account (work) does not sync. Both accounts are gmail.com accounts not apps. Gmail push was working just perfectly till last night on android 2.1. The sync on secondary gmail stopped working after I upgraded it to 2.2 last night. Infact I didnt even notice the problem till I missed my meeting this morning becase the email never arrived on the phone.
Earlier the gmail push was working *without* talk.. with ATK installed and autokilling apps... Now with 2.2 I have no autokiller.. I also tried factory reset and tried it without installing any apps and the problem still existed... I cant believe more people are not plauged with this problem...
Here is a summary from what I have read about this issue so far.
1) This is not isolated to HTC EVO
2) The secondary gmail not syncing seems to be a froyo problem (there are a few threads about this for android 2.1 but they refer to all gmail not syncing. Froyo does not have the option for "gmail storage" to clear data)
3) Factory reset does not help
4) Adding and removing accounts does not help
5) Same problem with any secondary account I add
6) Its not related to a particular gmail account because they dont work the other EVO as the secondary email either.
I currently have a workaround. I have forwarded my secondary gmail to [mysprintnumber]@messaging.sprintpcs.com
that way I receive an SMS when email arrives in my gmail and then I manually sync in the gmail app. Works for now, but I dont want this to be a permanent solution. This is android... the least Google could do is make gmail (and its other services) work on this perfectly.
Someone at Google, HTC or Sprint please take notice..
Device: HTC EVO
OS: Android 2.2 (/w HTC Sense) - Official froyo update from sprint
I dont know if this will help anyone but i have noticed when i go to settings>applications>running services if gtalk service isnt running than my gmail services for some reason will not sync unless i do it manually.. i asked sprint about this and of course they did not know but when i leave the gtalk service running it works.
- 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM #12
- 2 Posts
Might be working now...
I think it works now... This is the first time I have gotten auto sync to work on my secondary account in 2 days since... Here are the steps I followed... hope it works for everyone...
1. Removed all secondary accounts, leaving only the primary.
2. Went into Applications->Gmail and removed data, then did Force Stop.
3. Restarted Gmail app.
4. Went into Applications->Contacts Storage and removed data.
5. Rebooted phone (power down, power up).
6. Added secondary accounts again in "accounts and sync"
7. you get two options... Sync Contacts and Sync Calendar... Gmail doesnt show up here... yet!
8. Go to Gmail app... it shows two accounts... the secondary account "not synced".
9. Tap on the secondary account -> Menu -> Refresh
10. Go to Menu -> Settings ->Accounts and sync -> secondary account Gmail is not selected for auto sync... Select it.
11. Sync all
So far it is working. I'll update the status soon.
- 08-30-2010, 09:16 AM #13
For the record: My Gmail app stopped syncing with my inbox. I would still receive new e-mail notifications, but could not see the current inbox. I kept getting the "No Connection: |Retry|" button on the bottom. Google Talk worked just fine so I was unsure of what to do. I will definitely remember this solution - THANK YOU!
- 08-30-2010, 02:19 PM #14
Went to the local Sprint tech dept. FOUR times & they were never able to solve the issue. They told me to leave the phone for as long as they need it to solve the issue. Could take days. Had a big argument with the manager of the store. This took almost two weeks of back and forth.
Come to this forum. 15 minutes later. Issue has been resolved!