Sprint Hero Battery/SMS Problem - Class Action Lawsuit???

c3PreO

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
OK, I'm a bit pissed off at HTC today for producing/selling and not fixing the poor battery drain and texting problem on their Sprint HTC Hero, and pissed off at myself for forgetting to kill the apps that may be causing the drain (I don't even really know if that’s the cause of the drain - but many people in the forums seem to think that its the fix to the problem). My bad right?

I think HTC knows they have a problem phone and is hoping all the Hero owners will eventually upgrade out of their Heros and their problems are over - so they aren't so hot to fix the problem. Well not so fast HTC. I think HTC owes all of us Hero owners a new Hero or some other new phone if they can't fix the problem.

I charge my phone daily. Don't use it all that much for calls during the day. I'm not a heavy web surfer either, and @ 50-something not a texter either. I think texting is a waste of time. I'm not patient enough to text. I'm one of those who would rather call and talk to the person instead of texting them. Don't get me wrong, texting has its usefulness though, but I'd still rather talk than text. This afternoon when I reached for my Hero, it was D-E-A-D. This is after I fully charged it the night before. I was PISSED.

I was one of those eager, anxious, proud early adopters of the Hero (yes I stood in line). I got my Sprint HTC Hero on launch day. After using it for a while, I did notice poor battery consumption, I kept it anyway. I chalked it off to the large (at the time) screen. Months went by and I changed banks. What does that have to do with anything? Well, I thought I'd make full use of my new banks online banking services including mobile banking. Well, that required texting my bank for balances, transfers etc. Low and behold, that’s when I found out my HTC Hero couldn't receive text messages from my bank!!!

I then studied the problem. I scoured the forums and learned that most of the information seems to indicate the HTC poor battery problem is related to its inability to send and/or receive text messages. Somehow or another its CPU and/or radio is stuck and awake, never goes to sleep thus rapidly draining the battery. Then you have to kill the internal SMS App but it somehow awakes/restarts and drains the battery. Users are left to find makeshift remedies like App Killers etc. which seems to help. But if you FORGET, you're SOL.

When Sprint/HTC/Google released Android 2.1 I was thrilled, hoping that it might fix the battery/SMS problem. But it didn't. I have 2.1 loaded but my battery performance still sucks. I have all the other battery saving measures in place such as WiFi, Bluetooth, Notifications all OFF. Some people claim resetting the phone helps too. Memory full. Been there done that. I still have to Kill my apps manually, otherwise poor battery. Killing apps seems to help some, but not much, so I do it anyways. It could be psychological. Because when you kill some apps, it makes you think you eradicated the problem. NOT.

I’m sorry, but I think HTC is too busy designing new smartphones, or working on getting 2.1 updates for other 1.6 devices and they put the HTC Hero problem on the back burner. When we all bought our Heros with a 2 year commitment to Sprint, we all bought with the intention of a fully functional phone, not a crippled one. HTC is fully aware of the problem. Sprint could put a little more fire on HTC to fix the problem, but I don’t think they are.

With the Hero in this condition, I can’t pass it down to my kids because they are heavy texters. The phone is useless as a texting phone. Its OK as a regular phone and occasional web surfing phone. I’m gonna have to sell it (and loose money) instead of being able to let my kids have it (and save money). If I give my phone to my kids or anyone for that matter, I shouldn't have to WARN them not to forget to kill the apps or else the battery will drain too fast. I mean WTF???

I swear, my next phone is NOT going to be a HTC product unless they fix this problem or give us all a replacement phone. We shouldn’t have to band aid fix this phone with App Killers, limit our WiFi, BT, notifications and such. There’s way too much monkeying around required for the Hero. It shouldn't have to be if it were made right.

I don’t know, maybe there should be a Class Action lawsuit against the responsible parties so we all can get what we paid for.

Non Hero users won't understand this problem. I don’t know how many of you agree with me. Some of you may not have a problem at all. Consider yourself the lucky ones. My Hero use to be my hero, but its not anymore. It’s a pain in the butt.

Last edited:

The Mac

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i haven't the faintest clue what you are talking about.

My Hero has always had fine battery life, and ive never not gotten a text...as have the other 5 people in my office with Heros

There was an issue way back in 1.5 with the dialer/sms keeping the phone awake, but thats was fixed way back with the 1.6 release in november...

perhaps you have a bum phone..

or you have something installed from the market thats eating your battery...one of the facebook apps is notorious for that...

Last edited:

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Nor I. I've certainly had other problems, and I'm just as frustrated with my Hero for other reasons. However, I've not experienced the same battery drain you're experiencing.

Have you even tried taking it to a Sprint store to see if they can fix the problem?

treotraveler

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
No problems with my Hero either. Well except for the buttons peeling.

Using Handcent, so no texting issues. No apparent battery issues either.

I took a few days off the road. I have been on the net mostly all day on the Hero, sent 3 pic mails and some phone calls. My awake time is 36% and will have recharge in a couple hours.

Some phones aren't meant for everyone......

c3PreO

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey, thanks to all of you guys that responded. Three responses and three good phones, that's 3 out of 3. It's good to hear that your phones are working well. I think it’s time for me to check mine in to the local Sprint Corp store repair center and have them look at it.

I've always prided myself to handle problems on my own, but maybe this time I should have Sprint look at it.

I think in the end though, I'm gonna sell my Hero and pick up the Epic 4G when it comes out.

Thanks again for your input.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not using my hero anymore but I still have it on since I switched carriers but didn't kill sprint. My hero will sit two or three days on one charge. When I used it I got around 15 hours on one charge. Be prepared, I have a galaxy s phone now and the battery doesn't last as long under use. You have to pay the battery tax for that 4" screen.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had a VAST improvement on battery life by just simply killing the mobile network when I stick my phone in my pocket. Then, obviously, turn it back on when you want to access the web. As far as sms issues, I haven't had them since 1.6, as I switched to Handcent and never looked back. :D

kehanra99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I haven't had this issue either. From what I know of the SMS issue has been fixed for quite a while now. Still, I've used Handcent SMS as a replacement and right now I'm using Chomp SMS for better MMS handling.

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Im glad i found this post. My girlfriends hero is doing the same thing the first guy was doing i wonder what he did to fix. i am also going to bring it to the sprint store see what they do or say. My evo is doing the same thing so IDK we shall see.

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have stock 2.1 currently and it lasts me at least a full day (24 hours) with a few calls in between and at least 1 to 2 hours of web usage. When I had 1.5 stock, it was terrible, 2.1 was a huge improvement when it came to battery life management.

Arizona Treo

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The Hero has many issue which piss some off and do not bother others. Froyo is working well on many Hero's using 3rd party roms, which may be the answer to most problems. One advantage is the dev's listen to issues with major issues resolved quicker than if it were a carrier rom.

wtphoto

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
you know not to sound rude to anyone having issues but...seriously guys you basically have a mini computer in your hand and just like with anything in the computer category sometimes things happen and a unit with issues get through QC you can look at any manufacture and find people that have issues. take it to a store and get it exchanged or root and rom it.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... someone must have been catching up on sleep at the old HTC QC switch, because an awful lot of heros have these issues. If it was just a handful of people I might agree with you, as it is, it seems like almost every hero owner has had these issues before.

Sent from my CDMA Hero running CM6. Got me some hot froyo on hero action!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge