Just switched from the Pre

stfd1249

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
were you into patching and homebrew? I'm thinking of making the switch but I'm not sure if I'm ready yet! Any input you could give me would help me out! Thanks in advance..

nebj00la

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
were you into patching and homebrew? I'm thinking of making the switch but I'm not sure if I'm ready yet! Any input you could give me would help me out! Thanks in advance..

Yeah, I'm still a channel op in #webos-internals. My nickname is nebula. Ask for help through IRC.

swagner

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I rooted, patched, homebrewed and tethered. My Pre is now in the drawer and I have a new Hero. The Pre OS is great. Build quality, lack of apps, and battery life have me on my new Hero. I do miss the Pre interface, but SenseUI and android come close.

the_tate

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Same here - just boxed up my Pre, three Touchstones, and various other Palm toys in favor of the Hero. It may not have equivalent hardware but so far my Android experience has been 10x richer than my (second) fling with webOS.

- Tate

Last edited:

lastdetailwd

Nov 14, 2009
www.lastdetailwd.com
I was on precentral too... Webos is/was great but the hardware of the Pre is junk. I went threw 12 phones before I finally gave up

12 Pre's?! Holy crap! I went through 5. I doubt I will be going back to Palm. I was using Palm's for the past 5 years, thought the Pre was going to be great, but after 5 different hardware issues it was time to move on.

Last edited:

stfd1249

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the input, for now I'm still with the Pre. When, not if, I make that switch, I'm leaning more toward getting the Droid. There is just too many flaws with the Pre. Web os is nice, but too many flaws with the hardware.

qdigga

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Was on the Pre and on PreCentral as well. The Pre was ok and all and the WebOS was nice, but the Hero with the SenseUI is beautiful. No more NEEDING to Homebrew, root and jump through flaming hoops backwards while wearing gasoline drawers in an effort to change background images, ringtones or get a decent alarm clock.... really.

One misconception is that the Pre is the only phone that currently lets you multitask. Not true. While you dont flick things and apps around the screen like the pre, you can simply hold the "Home" key for a second or two and pull up a 6 program task list and just pick one of the apps to go to...

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have an eris which is similar to the hero. Awesome device. I played with my friend's pre and android seems much more user friendly.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I had a Palm Pre from July to December. I went through 5 Pres just because of hardware issues. Finally when the TOUCH SCREEN (pretty much the biggest part of the pre, including gesture area) kept going unresponsive requiring a batteey pull multiple times daily, i dropped Sprint and went to the Droid with android 2.0 actually feels like a polished and complete smartphone, not a toy. It is hands down better than the Pre. I have a feeling that if palm doesn't bring something spectacular to CES, they will tank next year. Switch to android, whatever handset you get, except maybe the G1 by dehydration would you buy that anyways, will be better than the pre and considerably better than the pixi with its almost uselessly small touchscreen. Droid does everything the pre can do plus more, faster better longer and with Verizon, in more places. No battery pulls or homebrew necessary.

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I had a Palm Pre from July to December. I went through 5 Pres just because of hardware issues. Finally when the TOUCH SCREEN (pretty much the biggest part of the pre, including gesture area) kept going unresponsive requiring a batteey pull multiple times daily, i dropped Sprint and went to the Droid with android 2.0 actually feels like a polished and complete smartphone, not a toy. It is hands down better than the Pre. I have a feeling that if palm doesn't bring something spectacular to CES, they will tank next year. Switch to android, whatever handset you get, except maybe the G1 by dehydration would you buy that anyways, will be better than the pre and considerably better than the pixi with its almost uselessly small touchscreen. Droid does everything the pre can do plus more, faster better longer and with Verizon, in more places. No battery pulls or homebrew necessary.

I would hope that the droid does it better than the Pre, I mean how long as the Pre been out compared to the pre

Pre24

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I had a Palm Pre since release date, great phone, was really hard to switch to the Hero but I really wanted to give Android a try because its the only OS I've never experienced, and I felt like I was use to webOS already(maybe I'll switch back when they really get going). I must say I love my Hero and SenseUi, just an all around great phone. I like the REAL customization they give you. I just have one question: Are there any recommended apps I should have because I don't know what to download? So many more apps compared to the Pre. Thanks!

krc1185

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I also just switched from the Palm Pre. I thought it was awesome at first, but then it began to wear me down. Between the lack of variety in Palm's App Catalogue, to the absolutely horrendous service (both customer and reception) that is synonymous with Sprint, I just had to take my leave. I also share numerous war stories from the trenches that are the Sprint retail store. I had the phone since Halloween, and I had to have two Pre's replaced. One issue was with the failure to properly clear memory and the second Pre would not charge properly, neither through the USB or the Touchstone. And, I am not even discussing the number of new Touchstone chargers I had to get replaced because they would not work. The Pre just has too many hardware and software issues for comfort. I switched to the Droid, and could not have been happier with my decision. While WebOS is very good for what it is (a relative newcomer with many shortcomings yet to be worked out), the Android OS and Droid just offer a far superior user experience that simply cannot be overcome by neither Sprint nor Palm.

Last edited:

j.howe3887

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
hey guys... just want to start off by saying that Im not trying to hack your thread at all :). I originally had a Pre since launch, and just recently got a new hero off ebay. I used the Hero for about 4 days and got so frustrated with it. It was constantly lagging, I couldnt play any games because of this. When people would call me the phone would almost freeze up and would not let me answer a phone call. I tried Taskillers and tried not using taskillers. I have read ever forum on the subject. I just feel like i was able to do so much more so much faster on my pre. Now, I still have my hero (which is on ebay) and Im back with the Pre.....can you guys convince me to go back to the Hero?...the auction ends in 4.5 days.....

Thanks Guys!

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
hey guys... just want to start off by saying that Im not trying to hack your thread at all :). I originally had a Pre since launch, and just recently got a new hero off ebay. I used the Hero for about 4 days and got so frustrated with it. It was constantly lagging, I couldnt play any games because of this. When people would call me the phone would almost freeze up and would not let me answer a phone call. I tried Taskillers and tried not using taskillers. I have read ever forum on the subject. I just feel like i was able to do so much more so much faster on my pre. Now, I still have my hero (which is on ebay) and Im back with the Pre.....can you guys convince me to go back to the Hero?...the auction ends in 4.5 days.....

Thanks Guys!

Like the Pre has many games to choose from?! :D

Signal strength on the Hero is better than the Pre. But the Pre IMO is faster overall. (let the flames begin :rolleyes: ).

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Its so funny you guys are talking hardware issues. I ditched the Pre a while back because of the build quality as well. Until Palm blew it on the janky hardware I was convinced that WebOS was the future. Now I'm wondering if Palm's gonna make it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol