Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Malix's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

    Default Update

    Hey guys, new around here.

    I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be a new update for the Hero. I talked to my technicians (I work for Sprint) and they said it wasn't likely since the Hero doesn't have the capacity for Froyo, which I could understand somewhat, but does that just mean we are going to be stuck with this build? Or will some kind of update still be issued out for Hero owners? I don't mind the current build, but hate to see the that only newer models get it. I don't mind upgrading to the Epic or Evo, but I still don't feel it is right for Hero owners to get abandoned. Any insight?
  2. #2  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malix View Post
    Hey guys, new around here.

    I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be a new update for the Hero. I talked to my technicians (I work for Sprint) and they said it wasn't likely since the Hero doesn't have the capacity for Froyo, which I could understand somewhat, but does that just mean we are going to be stuck with this build? Or will some kind of update still be issued out for Hero owners? I don't mind the current build, but hate to see the that only newer models get it. I don't mind upgrading to the Epic or Evo, but I still don't feel it is right for Hero owners to get abandoned. Any insight?
    HTC announced that there would be no more updates. If you want froyo, or just want to have your phone run better, then root it and install a custom rom. Check the Hero ROMs/Hacks section of this forum for a link to a version of froyo for the hero, or try HoneyBun for a faster better working version of the stock 2.1 software.
  3. #3  

    Default

    I talked to Sprint tech support last week about my continuing problems with lag and BT, and they told me there would be a Froyo update in October. Since this contradicted everything else I had read online I took it with a grain of salt. But my understanding is that Froyo can be 'scaled' to match the capability of different phones so it's not impossible. The cynic in me thinks they are only trying to string me along until after my 1 year 'warranty' expires on it (my Hero phone).

    If you (the OP) work for Sprint can you ask around some more?
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith1051 View Post
    I talked to Sprint tech support last week about my continuing problems with lag and BT, and they told me there would be a Froyo update in October. Since this contradicted everything else I had read online I took it with a grain of salt. But my understanding is that Froyo can be 'scaled' to match the capability of different phones so it's not impossible. The cynic in me thinks they are only trying to string me along until after my 1 year 'warranty' expires on it (my Hero phone).

    If you (the OP) work for Sprint can you ask around some more?
    I agree with taking it with a grain of salt about the Froyo update. I would love Froyo on the Hero, but it does not look like it is going to happen
    HTC Hero
    http://twitter.com/aquaboy1976
    PSN ID: aquaboy1976
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: aquaboy1976
    WordFeud: aquaboy1976
  5. #5  
    SeeK's Avatar

    Posts
    294 Posts
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    ROM
    InsertCoin 1.1.1

    Default

    Don't get your hopes up, but you never know. Though I can't see why they'd push out 2.1 for it only to replace it with 2.2 a couple of months later. Like I said, you never know. 2.2 would be good for the Hero, as the improved processing efficiency would probably make it feel like a completely different phone in terms of performance. The Hero's a popular phone though, so I'm guessing a bunch of custom ROMs will be available.
  6. #6  

    Default

    I think custom ROMs are going to have to be the way to go.
    HTC Hero
    http://twitter.com/aquaboy1976
    PSN ID: aquaboy1976
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: aquaboy1976
    WordFeud: aquaboy1976
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Update

    Quote Originally Posted by aquaboy1976 View Post
    I agree with taking it with a grain of salt about the Froyo update. I would love Froyo on the Hero, but it does not look like it is going to happen
    In fact, I would take that with the whole salt shaker. ;-) CM6 runs beautifully on my hero.



    Sent from my CDMA Hero running CM6. Got me some hot froyo on hero action!
    This post has +3 to topic derailment.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Malix's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith1051 View Post
    I talked to Sprint tech support last week about my continuing problems with lag and BT, and they told me there would be a Froyo update in October. Since this contradicted everything else I had read online I took it with a grain of salt. But my understanding is that Froyo can be 'scaled' to match the capability of different phones so it's not impossible. The cynic in me thinks they are only trying to string me along until after my 1 year 'warranty' expires on it (my Hero phone).

    If you (the OP) work for Sprint can you ask around some more?
    That's what a coworker said, that they would probably release a scaled down version, but it will take Google time to adjust it. I don't think they would say that to save warranty. Are u talking about the manufacturer's warranty? Or insurance?
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by user7618 View Post
    In fact, I would take that with the whole salt shaker. ;-) CM6 runs beautifully on my hero.



    Sent from my CDMA Hero running CM6. Got me some hot froyo on hero action!
    Haha
    I am on the fence about putting CM6 on mine.
    HTC Hero
    http://twitter.com/aquaboy1976
    PSN ID: aquaboy1976
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: aquaboy1976
    WordFeud: aquaboy1976
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malix View Post
    That's what a coworker said, that they would probably release a scaled down version, but it will take Google time to adjust it. I don't think they would say that to save warranty. Are u talking about the manufacturer's warranty? Or insurance?
    I don't have insurance on the phone so it must be through the manufacturer (HTC) ? This was the Sprint rep offering to replace it, though.
  11. #11  

    Default

    I don't believe Sprint & HTC want to spend more resources ($) to a phone that is 'old' in their opinion, great excuse for them to make Hero owners to replace for new EVOs or Epics. And I believe from reading here on the blogs (not forums) they announced the Hero & Moment would not get the Froyo, they want to spend those resources on new projects down the line (Froyo for Epic & Gingerbread in the future for EVO).

    Anyway, I think HTC Sense would slow down the phone somewhat with Froyo (see what it does to 2.1, very laggy unless you use a rooted custom ROM) and that's the real 'reason' they won't update the Hero, unless they would release an official OC'd (overclocked) version, which HTC would not support most likely, so that's that; bottom line, dollars & sense for Sprint & HTC.

    EDIT: That's why I rooted and use custom ROM (Honeybun with OC); fantastic speed & no lag.
    Last edited by RoadBicyclist; 08-21-2010 at 12:47 PM.
  12. #12  

    Default

    It may not be a good idea to have Froyo on the Hero, because it caused some lag with the EVO. I could only imagine what it would do to the Hero.
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Update

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    It may not be a good idea to have Froyo on the Hero, because it caused some lag with the EVO. I could only imagine what it would do to the Hero.
    I have far less lag on my hero now, with 2.2 then I did with 2.1. Not only that, but I expect the lag I do have to be hammered out by darch and crew in future updates.


    Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got me some hot froyo on hero action here!
    This post has +3 to topic derailment.
  14. #14  

    Default

    I heard that 2.2 on the Hero is pretty fast!
    HTC Hero
    http://twitter.com/aquaboy1976
    PSN ID: aquaboy1976
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: aquaboy1976
    WordFeud: aquaboy1976
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Update

    Quote Originally Posted by aquaboy1976 View Post
    I heard that 2.2 on the Hero is pretty fast!
    Go get it and see.



    Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got me some hot froyo on hero action here!
    This post has +3 to topic derailment.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    It may not be a good idea to have Froyo on the Hero, because it caused some lag with the EVO. I could only imagine what it would do to the Hero.
    It must be the stock Froyo from Sprint on the EVO, that will most likely be the culprit. I'm sure the rooted Froyo ROMs run much better than the stock, after all the same thing happens with the Hero stock and the 2.1 rooted ROMs, no ROM lag and runs steady.

    Quote Originally Posted by aquaboy1976 View Post
    I heard that 2.2 on the Hero is pretty fast!
    I read someone who compared it to switching from 56k modem to broadband...that's huge. I'll take the dip this weekend when I have some time to install it.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBicyclist View Post
    I read someone who compared it to switching from 56k modem to broadband...that's huge. I'll take the dip this weekend when I have some time to install it.
    I think we heard the same thing! It may have been on the Android Central podcast because I asked their opinion on putting Froyo on the Hero.
    HTC Hero
    http://twitter.com/aquaboy1976
    PSN ID: aquaboy1976
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: aquaboy1976
    WordFeud: aquaboy1976
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by user7618 View Post
    Go get it and see.



    Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got me some hot froyo on hero action here!
    I thought I heard the camera wasn't working. Has that been resolved?
    Also, is it a build where you don't have to keep updating it?

    Thanks!
    HTC Hero
    http://twitter.com/aquaboy1976
    PSN ID: aquaboy1976
    XBOX 360 Gamertag: aquaboy1976
    WordFeud: aquaboy1976
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Update

    Darch would not release an actual rc1 if stuff was still not working. Camera is fine. They do release nightly builds to iron out the bugs, so just get rc1 and run with it. Read the thread over at xda.

    Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got me some hot froyo on hero action here!
    This post has +3 to topic derailment.
  20. #20  
    splmonster's Avatar

    Posts
    1,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    It may not be a good idea to have Froyo on the Hero, because it caused some lag with the EVO. I could only imagine what it would do to the Hero.
    Uhh where? My Evo on stock Froyo is miles faster then 2.1 ever was. lol
  21. #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBicyclist View Post
    I read someone who compared it to switching from 56k modem to broadband...that's huge. I'll take the dip this weekend when I have some time to install it.
    lol actually I said that and yes CM6 is extreamly fast even with no overclock but I have mine set to 768 and it flies. the only thing that I missed at first was the contact widget in sense but now there is a free scrollable contact widget for ADW and I dont miss sense at all. it is totally worth it.

    good luck guys
  22. #22  

    Default

    FYI - A Sprint Admin stated in one of the discussion threads in the Sprint Community that a release will be out for the Hero to "fix the lag." There was no mention of a date or if anything else will be included in the maintenance release.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Update

    My lag was already fixed, with an application of generous over clocking and cm6.

    Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    This post has +3 to topic derailment.
  24. #24  
    chefkeyser's Avatar

    Posts
    151 Posts
    ROM
    4.2 Stock

    Default

    I am being told that since I purchased my Hero with 2.1 pre-installed, it can't be rooted. Anybody have any information that contradicts this? All the root instructions I've found have been for 1.5 (I have a Mac I'm being told is the issue.) Basically, there is no way to root a Hero on a Mac if it has 2.1 from the factory. Is this correct?
    "If you're going to kill the animal it seems only polite to use the whole thing." -Fergus Henderson
  25. #25  
    splmonster's Avatar

    Posts
    1,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

    Default

    I used LauncherPro, and set opening speeds to 8, and minimum scrolling to 100. Then added Spare Parts and put animations to fast. This thing flies...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions