Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

OK so how does one install this update

It should be as easy as Settings->About Phone->System Updates->HTC Software Update but it's not showing up on my phone yet...

Quote Originally Posted by johnson.joshua.11 View Post
    It should be as easy as Settings->About Phone->System Updates->HTC Software Update but it's not showing up on my phone yet...
    Guess I need to be patient and just keep checking. One can hope.

Has anyone received the HTC Sprint Hero update from 09-22-10 yet?

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Nothing on our Hero yet. I would of assumed it got released when they dropped the EVO update. Guess my assumption was incorrect.. LOL

ROM
    stock

I checked my wife's Hero this morning and she did not have the update yet. We're looking forward to a snappier dialer though!

Nothing on my end yet either. I sure wish they'd push this out for us since they've gotten the EVO and now the Moment updates out.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

I finally gave-up and rooted my phone, then installed Fresh Hero 2.40. Since it's the 'same' Sprint Android 2.1 ROM -- just minus the Sprint apps -- I didn't have to reformat my SD card. So far it's working better in that it hasn't developed that extreme lag, but otherwise it's not appreciably faster than before. Also, I should now be able to overclock if needed! I just haven't tried it yet.

P.S. Here are the instructions I found most useful,
    1. Overview of Modding - CyanogenMod Wiki
    2. http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...very-mean.html
    3. [GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers
    4. [ROM] 08/30/10 | Fresh Hero 2.4.0 | Incremental Update For Freshness - xda-developers

The maintenance release from Sprint is out in the Mpls/St Paul Minnesota area (also Denver per another user). Took less than 5 minutes to download and less than 10 minutes to install (although that was at 10 pm). No issues with the install and the dial lag seems to be fixed (although I did not have the significant lag that others have noted). Also noted that the phone rang on the second ring rather than 4th or 5th. No problems with the install although I did turn phone off and remove battery for about a minute (I do that with any app install). All apps, text messages, emails, logins remained. The only thing I noticed was additional bookmarks (htc, facebook, and flicker) and the bookmarks had been rearranged - no big deal.
    Will have to see if there are any issues that develop.

It took a few try but I got my Dad's hero to update, via Michigan.

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Updated here in Florida. Dialer lag is somewhat less...somewhat. Not as fast dialing as lesser phones I've had. When I get home I'll test the ring lag put on mine and my wife's Hero...
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Kit Kat

Just checked and am downloading my update as we speak. Fingers crossed about the dialer lag...

Installing mine now in the Charlotte, NC area... hoping no new bugs will show up.

ROM
    stock

My wife's Hero got the update this morning. So far it seems the dialer is faster. Haven't had time to check much else. She seems to think the camera make take a picture faster too but that could just be placebo or that the lighting was good this morning for pics! :o)

oh and we're in Nashville, TN if that matters

I got the update this morning here in New York. Went well and the dialer does seem faster. I tried to call my phone to see how much ring lag there was. My Hero started ringing on the second ring I could hear on my home phone.

PS. Camera doesn't seem any faster.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith1051 View Post
    The moderators on the official Sprint forums are promising another official update for the HTC Hero. It's not clear, however, is this will be a 2.1-update2 or actually a 2.2 update. But it confirms what I was told by Sprint tech-support last month, that an update is being tested which will address the common problems -- at the very least, the lag (which has got to be a memory leak somewhere). Not sure if it will address the BT problems, too.

I was told the update was scheduled for October 2010, and the moderators are telling people it's already being tested and could roll-out very soon.

Something to look forward to!
    i mailed htc today and was told that the hero froyo update is currently not available so reading into that tells me that it will become available as you have said thanks trev
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

You guys can thank me for the update! (just kidding) Of course it was going to roll-out just a day or two after I gave-up and rooted.... :-)

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...23-2010-a.html

There already is a ROM out for root users based on the latest update.

I got my update this morning. The dialer definitely seems to be working pretty good. I don't know if it's just a placebo effect but the whole phone seems to be less laggy than before.

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    ROM
    Changes weekly!

Quote Originally Posted by trevandy View Post
    i mailed htc today and was told that the hero froyo update is currently not available so reading into that tells me that it will become available as you have said thanks trev
    It was the update they just released. Froyo will not be on the Hero. Just so everyone is aware. Both HTC and Sprint have both confirmed, no Froyo on the Hero. So move on from it, get a newer device if you want Froyo.

No update yet down in New Orleans.
    WHO DAT?!?!?!
    THIS IS NEW ORLEANS!!!!! - DREW BREES
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12