Low memory (ALL OF A SUDDEN)!

papachan

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I was hit with a "low memory" notice the other day.
Available space (Internal phone storage): 17 MB

Seriously?
Before 2.1, I've always hovered around 118 MB.

I checked Applications/Manage applications and found some possible culprits:
Sprint Navigation Update Package ~ 6 MB
AND
Contacts Storage ~ 60 MB

(Nearest programs: Sprint Nav 8.2 MB, Maps 7.64 MB, Facebook 4.59 MB, Quickoffice 3.54, Astro 3 MB, Market 2.25 MB...)

Between 1.5 and 2.1, I haven't installed anything too big.
I went ahead and cleared the browser cache and deleted a bunch of little programs that I don't use...
Available space? Up to 25 MB.

I have always used HTC Sync for my contacts and calendar dates via Outlook. How can Contacts Storage GROW to 60 MB? I may have added a few contacts here and there... but 60 MB???

Is HTC Sync the issue? I haven't had the chance to install the latest since syncing wasn't a problem... Should I clear everything and START over????

UGHHHHhhhh....

Thanks in advance!

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Try a reboot first. I got one of those yesterday and a reboot cleared it. I don't know what my memory was, but it worked for me, no more warnings.

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Try a reboot first. I got one of those yesterday and a reboot cleared it. I don't know what my memory was, but it worked for me, no more warnings.

same here. i rebooted and to be on the safe side completely wiped my phone, reverted back to 1.5 and re-upgraded back to 2.1.....god that was a pain! lol it worked tho...havent had a memory problem since

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
That is crazy, 60 MB of contacts would be hundreds of thousands of people. I have had the same problem, low memory in the past, but didn't check to see how much the contacts took up. I found deleting apps only made a small difference. Both times this happened I wiped the phone.

bdizzel1982

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I was hit with a "low memory" notice the other day.
Available space (Internal phone storage): 17 MB

Seriously?
Before 2.1, I've always hovered around 118 MB.

I checked Applications/Manage applications and found some possible culprits:
Sprint Navigation Update Package ~ 6 MB
AND
Contacts Storage ~ 60 MB

(Nearest programs: Sprint Nav 8.2 MB, Maps 7.64 MB, Facebook 4.59 MB, Quickoffice 3.54, Astro 3 MB, Market 2.25 MB...)

Between 1.5 and 2.1, I haven't installed anything too big.
I went ahead and cleared the browser cache and deleted a bunch of little programs that I don't use...
Available space? Up to 25 MB.

I have always used HTC Sync for my contacts and calendar dates via Outlook. How can Contacts Storage GROW to 60 MB? I may have added a few contacts here and there... but 60 MB???

Is HTC Sync the issue? I haven't had the chance to install the latest since syncing wasn't a problem... Should I clear everything and START over????

UGHHHHhhhh....

Thanks in advance!

I would go to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications then once that is opened and updated press Menu and select Sort By Size and go thru and clear just the Cache on your programs that should free up quite a bit of memory for you other wise you could also run one of the many custom ROMS that are out there this is my favorite NFX-Hero 2.2.1.update1 with this ROM you should have around 130MB right from the start after install and its much more responsive then the stock rom :)

papachan

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
That is crazy, 60 MB of contacts would be hundreds of thousands of people. I have had the same problem, low memory in the past, but didn't check to see how much the contacts took up. I found deleting apps only made a small difference. Both times this happened I wiped the phone.
Yeah... I don't have THAT many friends and business associates... Maybe around 250... I've been backing everything up... planning to reset the whole phone this weekend...

bdizzel1982

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... I don't have THAT many friends and business associates... Maybe around 250... I've been backing everything up... planning to reset the whole phone this weekend...

one thing you could try before wiping the phone is root the phone if you haven't already with universal androot and then install cachemate and let it go thru and clear the cache on your phone rather then manually doing it to see if it frees up the missing memory

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
had this same problem. seemed to be that facebook for android was causing troubles.

are you using facebook syncing? if so...

i had both facebook for android and facebook for htc sense syncing and when i switched to just using sense to sync the issues stopped.

open people, click menu and select view, see how many contacts it shows for facebook. mine was at around 17k and i only have 100 or so friends on facebook.

fixed the issue by deleting the contacts data in the app manager (shouldn't hurt anything if you keep your contacts backed up to google)

might be wise to disable syncing for contacts and facebook first btw.

i then removed my facebook sync accounts and only added back the htc facebook sync. (might want to do this first, i know i'm a little out of order here)

took a little bit for the phone to get everything back but haven't had a problem since. hope this helps.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane