Hero Question

outdors21

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I have searched through these forums for about 30 minutes, but cannot find any concise answers. Here is my question:

Outside of rooting the phone (which I'm reluctant to try), what can be done with a right-out-of-the-box Hero (2.1v1) to improve performance/memory. I've got advanced task killer, but wonder if there are any specific settings/tips to improve the phone.

Thanks in advance...this is my first Android phone, and while I only plan on having it until June, I am curious what can be done.

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
the hero's my first android phone too and i was also very reluctant to rooting but one day i just said %$*! it and went for it and i havent looked back since :D

but to answer your question....first off get rid of ATK! i used ATK myself and i think it actually SLOWED down my phone. (i only really noticed this after upgrading to Eclair). 2.1 has a built-in task killer that you can use. you can access it thru the settings menu (Settings>Applications>Running services) you can also add that to your home screen instead of going thru the menu every time!

there are people A LOT more knowledgeable than me when it comes to this stuff so sorry if i didnt answer your question completely. i do know that asking is the right thing to do and the people here are very helpful!

btw....welcome to the forums!

brooklyn

May 22, 2010
Visit site
The Hero is my first Android phone as well. I purchased it in March and I was so reluctant to root it and change ROMs that I didn't do take the leap until last month. The deciding factor was speaking to a Sprint Rep who said he never had any problems with his Hero because he ran CyanogenMod on it and not the HTC/Sprint setup. He also told me I can keep my warranty by simply downloading the updates available on the Sprint website and reinstalling them on my phone, and voila, Sprint has no idea what the heck you did with it if you ever have to send it in or bring it to a store.

My suggestion, root it and install CyanogenMod 6, it's a dream! Nothing is going to improve performance and memory on your Hero otherwise.

The two tools I used were the UniversalAnd Root, found here: [APP] [ROOT] 1-click root for N1 (Latest ver: 1.6.2 beta 5) - xda-developers

And Rom manager from the market: ROM Manager - Android app on AppBrain

And finally, CM6.
CDMA (Sprint) here: [ROM] CyanogenMod-6 for Hero CDMA - V6.0.0 (09/18/2010) - CyanogenMod Forum

There's currently not a stable GSM version now, I hope you're using the CDMA (Sprint) version.

I can emphasize how AWESOME your Hero will be with CM6. It's faster, more stable and just cooler than being stuck with 2.1.

After reading the warnings before each rooting tutorial you're probably going to be reluctant and/or scared to brick your phone, I've been there. But believe me, rooting and trying out roms, CM6 in particular, will be the best thing you ever did for your Hero.

Last edited:

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
After reading the warnings before each rooting tutorial you're probably going to be reluctant and/or scared to brick your phone, I've been there. But believe me, rooting and trying out roms, CM6 in particular, will be the best thing you ever did for your Hero.

couldn't have said this better even if i tried! lol

mranderson41

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. I think I'm going to actually take the plunge soon as well. I've read very good things about CM6 but it is my understanding that this is a non sense based UI. Does that mean that you don't get the seven home screens, clock, etc that come with the Hero? If not does anyone know of a good sense based Froyo ROM out there for the Hero?

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. I think I'm going to actually take the plunge soon as well. I've read very good things about CM6 but it is my understanding that this is a non sense based UI. Does that mean that you don't get the seven home screens, clock, etc that come with the Hero? If not does anyone know of a good sense based Froyo ROM out there for the Hero?

You can have multiple screens, just no sense widgets. :) If you want a quality sense rom, try beezy420's iced honey bun, right over there on the hacks board. It is my sense rom of choice. I keep a sense nand on my sd card so I can update my prl when needed.

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Froyo on Hero action here!

mranderson41

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
You can have multiple screens, just no sense widgets. :) If you want a quality sense rom, try beezy420's iced honey bun, right over there on the hacks board. It is my sense rom of choice. I keep a sense nand on my sd card so I can update my prl when needed.

Thanks for the quick response. I think I'm starting to jones for some Froyo now. Is there someplace that lists what you lose without having sense? I thought it was mainly the home screen issue but it looks to me like the ADW launcher is a nice hi-bred of several UI's and looks pretty good to me. I might have to take the plunge and try CM6.

mrcminnesota

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Is the camera working in CM6? I had read earlier that the custom ROMs had an issue. Thanks - I have also delayed doing this but really am interested

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Is the camera working in CM6? I had read earlier that the custom ROMs had an issue. Thanks - I have also delayed doing this but really am interested

CM6 did have a camera problem but it was resolved a while ago. The camera problem was only with froyo ROMs as far as I know.

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. I think I'm starting to jones for some Froyo now. Is there someplace that lists what you lose without having sense? I thought it was mainly the home screen issue but it looks to me like the ADW launcher is a nice hi-bred of several UI's and looks pretty good to me. I might have to take the plunge and try CM6.

Sure, you lose your sense widgets, of course, with AOSP roms. Anything tagged HTC in your apps list. You keep google stuff if you flash gapps, you lose slowness, bulkyness, all those memory eating bloat apps.

Hitt

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hero is my first Android phone as well. I purchased it in March and I was so reluctant to root it and change ROMs that I didn't do take the leap until last month. The deciding factor was speaking to a Sprint Rep who said he never had any problems with his Hero because he ran CyanogenMod on it and not the HTC/Sprint setup. He also told me I can keep my warranty by simply downloading the updates available on the Sprint website and reinstalling them on my phone, and voila, Sprint has no idea what the heck you did with it if you ever have to send it in or bring it to a store.

My suggestion, root it and install CyanogenMod 6, it's a dream! Nothing is going to improve performance and memory on your Hero otherwise.

The two tools I used were the UniversalAnd Root, found here: [APP] [ROOT] 1-click root for N1 (Latest ver: 1.6.2 beta 5) - xda-developers

And Rom manager from the market: ROM Manager - Android app on AppBrain

And finally, CM6.
CDMA (Sprint) here: [ROM] CyanogenMod-6 for Hero CDMA - V6.0.0 (09/18/2010) - CyanogenMod Forum

There's currently not a stable GSM version now, I hope you're using the CDMA (Sprint) version.

I can emphasize how AWESOME your Hero will be with CM6. It's faster, more stable and just cooler than being stuck with 2.1.

Thank you for this!

If set my phone back to 1.5, then run the root method you posted, can I install CM6?