1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Question Coming from a BB Tour and Pre... Good Idea?

Hello Android users!
    I am at precentral and crackberry and now I've joined your forums to ask your advice... I had a Palm Pre but was thoroughly fed up with the poor build quality. It was a sweet device with an amazing touch screen and WebOS was a gem. I sold it because I couldn't get over the famous "oreo" problem. Long story short, I sold it after 3 refurbs. I was given a Blackberry Tour from my sister. I love it, but I have a chance to get an even trade for a new Hero. I guess I'm asking for your opinions and encouragements and/or warnings...

I love touch screens, but I've never had a Touchscreen only device. I think I can get used to it but I am super happy with the BB keyboard. However, I want wifi.... advantage hero. I want a better browser and something a little more fun. The BB browser is obsolete.

My main concerns: Battery life. Any bugs? Keyboard ease of use. Lag. Anything else?

Thanks so much and I am looking forward to be part of your community. Thanks!

I've had a Pre (for a few days, hated the build quality and annoying things like all FB contacts or none), an iPhone 3GS (for 6 months), a Tour (for a few days) and now a Hero (used my 30 day window to switch Tour for Hero).

So no one is more qualified than me to answer your question, lol.

Absolutely switch to the Hero. It's generally pretty fast, there are some times when it'll stutter for a second or two, but I wouldn't describe it as a sluggish device. The touchscreen is super responsive, and the onscreen keyboard has very smart autocorrect software that makes typing easy, even if you're no good at it. While I loved the Tour's keyboard, typing in landscape mode on the Hero is a breeze, especially because of it's haptic feedback when you hit a key.

The browser is absolutely amazing, it's speedy thanks to Sprint's 3G and renders everything great, like on the computer. It also wraps text to the screen so you don't have to swipe back and forth. If you don't like the browser, you can always download others, like Opera Mini or Dolphin browser from the app store.

You should definitely get a Hero, it's the best phone I've ever owned. From the browser, to the widgets, to the cool features that the Pre gets wrong that Hero gets right...for example, Hero will suggest what Facebook friend to link your contact entry to. You can link all of your phonebook to their Facebook accounts, and not have to import ALL of your facebook friends over...just the ones from your phonebook will be in your phonebook. HTC got it right, Palm got it wrong.

It's a wonderful device thanks to Android and HTC's Sense user interface. Definitely pick it up.

I don't know about the pre but Hero wins over the tour any day the only thing you'll miss is the keyboard trust me android phones do a great deal more than most others.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

thanks people... i'm sold. I got the hero and i couldn't be happier

Quote Originally Posted by JONNNathannn View Post
    I've had a Pre (for a few days, hated the build quality and annoying things like all FB contacts or none), an iPhone 3GS (for 6 months), a Tour (for a few days) and now a Hero (used my 30 day window to switch Tour for Hero).

So no one is more qualified than me to answer your question, lol.

Absolutely switch to the Hero. It's generally pretty fast, there are some times when it'll stutter for a second or two, but I wouldn't describe it as a sluggish device. The touchscreen is super responsive, and the onscreen keyboard has very smart autocorrect software that makes typing easy, even if you're no good at it. While I loved the Tour's keyboard, typing in landscape mode on the Hero is a breeze, especially because of it's haptic feedback when you hit a key.

The browser is absolutely amazing, it's speedy thanks to Sprint's 3G and renders everything great, like on the computer. It also wraps text to the screen so you don't have to swipe back and forth. If you don't like the browser, you can always download others, like Opera Mini or Dolphin browser from the app store.

You should definitely get a Hero, it's the best phone I've ever owned. From the browser, to the widgets, to the cool features that the Pre gets wrong that Hero gets right...for example, Hero will suggest what Facebook friend to link your contact entry to. You can link all of your phonebook to their Facebook accounts, and not have to import ALL of your facebook friends over...just the ones from your phonebook will be in your phonebook. HTC got it right, Palm got it wrong.

It's a wonderful device thanks to Android and HTC's Sense user interface. Definitely pick it up.

LOL..and me. I had the Pre for 3 weeks, the Tour (all five of them) for five months and the iPhone 3Gs for less than 24 hours..lol. I like the Hero as well but I'm definitely missing the physical keyboard the BB Tour had. I miss some other things about it as well but not the browser..that's for damn sure!

OES, DOI & ZPhiB....what more can you ask for?
    ~There will never be another one as lovely as I~
    ~FES~

I came from a similar background. I bought a Tour on release day and was throughaly dissapointed. The OS is long in the tooth and web browsing is a joke. I traded it straight up for a Pre. I have been pretty happy with the Pre but the lag has started to wear thin on me. Also the fact that wifi tethering no longer works and the devs seem to have lost interest in getting it fixed. So I bought a Hero last week and it will hopefully be here tomorrow.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

you will love it boomhower... i traded my berry for the hero and have not looked back.

Enjoy your phone! I've had my Hero for a few days now and am completely in love. My wife inherited my BB Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by gus_mccrae View Post
    Enjoy your phone! I've had my Hero for a few days now and am completely in love. My wife inherited my BB Tour.
    Let me echo this sentiment... I not only sold my Tour but also previously tried the myTouch 3G & Moto Cliq. They were "OK" but nothing real satisfying until I tried the Sprint Hero - it is totally a keeper!!! Loving it ///

/BD