Telus Hero

LeafsNSox

May 9, 2010
Visit site
So Telus finally released Android 2.1 for their Hero. It is supposed to be an OTA download, but I have still yet to get the prompt for the software update.

Is there anyways I can force the phone to check for the update? I know that the Hero checks for updates either every 7 or 14 days (I've been told both) but is there anyway to speed up he process?

Thanks!

LeafsNSox

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey Beezy420,

When I go into settings>about phone the only options I have are Status, Legal Info and System Tutorial.

When I hit the Menu key it doesn't bring anything up, and under any of the 3 options listed above, software updates isn't there. If I go into settings>security I have an option there for Firmware Download but when I click that setting it only gives me the option to download automatically, prompt before download, or never. I have it on prompt but had it set to download automatically earlier and still nothing....still running 1.5....

I just saw a tip on another site saying to change your date ahead a week, as the firmware checks every 7 days and it still hasn't prompted me for a firmware update....not sure why it's taking so long but its annoying me!

Last edited:

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey Beezy420,

When I go into settings>about phone the only options I have are Status, Legal Info and System Tutorial.

When I hit the Menu key it doesn't bring anything up, and under any of the 3 options listed above, software updates isn't there. If I go into settings>security I have an option there for Firmware Download but when I click that setting it only gives me the option to download automatically, prompt before download, or never. I have it on prompt but had it set to download automatically earlier and still nothing....still running 1.5....

I just saw a tip on another site saying to change your date ahead a week, as the firmware checks every 7 days and it still hasn't prompted me for a firmware update....not sure why it's taking so long but its annoying me!

I can't remember all they back to 1.5 but maybe just look around in settings for something that says system updates.You might not have that option.I did some searching trying to find the link to download it.I didn't get lucky enough to find.I did find several post like you stated above that said to set things ahead by 7 days and then it would prompt you to install.Maybe did you try rebooting after that to see if it would search and prompt you to download it?
Also,here's another tip i found."
What I did is I backed up all my contacts, photos, etc onto [COLOR=#006400 !important][COLOR=#006400 !important]my [COLOR=#006400 !important]computer[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] first, then I formatted my microSD card, then did a factory data reset which erases everything on the phone. Then turned the phone off, and tuened it back on. And after doing initial setup tasks, itll come up with an OTA update to 2.1. I just did it and its awesome. Why I didnt root this and go to 2.1 months ago is beyond me." that's quoted from some site.I don't know how much i beleive that but it could be the way to go.If you have the time maybe give it a shot.Ill keep searching and if i can come up with anything else ill let you know.

LeafsNSox

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey Beezy,

I did try rebooting the device after the date change. I even changed the date ahead by 14 days (was sent to me in an e-mail by a HTC rep that it searches every 14 days) and it still didn't send anything through.

I also tried everything in the post you found online and still nothing. I am not sure if it is a phone issue or what the case is but anyone else I know got the prompt after they used the web on their phone, which I have tried on both 3G and wifi.

Thanks for all your input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX