Switched from Moment, What should I know?

apyoung88

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I just brought my 4th Samsung Moment back to the Sprint store because of the never ending issues I've had with the phone. I was given the option to get one of three phones: (A) another moment (B) Samsung Intercept (C) HTC Hero. Obviously I chose to run screaming from Samsung's wreck of a phone and chose the Hero.

I couldn't find any threads about this, so I ask my fellow Hero users what problems/issues should I be aware of that affect most Hero's?

I was told about the DarchDroid ROM, any other excellent ROMs that I should look at?

Thanks

apyoung88

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed I forgot to read the FAQ, sorry.

Anyways, I'd still like to know how everybody thinks of the DarchDroid ROM and any other good ones.

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: apyoung88

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Darch's 2.1 ROM is very good. He worked on the Cyanogen (2.2) release for our phone and it is what I have now; it's fast and stable. Beezy's work is very good if you want to keep sense UI, see Fazulkas post.

If you havn't already been to xda, do so. The development forum for the hero is very active there and many ROMs to flash.

Reactions: apyoung88

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Hero since launch day last October and even with an upgrade credit have not ditched it (yet).

If you don't mind losing sense, visual voice mail, and the Sprint apps i would root and go with Cyanogen MOD (currently 6.1). The upgrades in 2.2 IMO make the hero usable and the tighter of Integration of FroYo with Google Accounts and Chrome on your computer are icing on the cake.

apyoung88

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Hero since launch day last October and even with an upgrade credit have not ditched it (yet).

If you don't mind losing sense, visual voice mail, and the Sprint apps i would root and go with Cyanogen MOD (currently 6.1). The upgrades in 2.2 IMO make the hero usable and the tighter of Integration of FroYo with Google Accounts and Chrome on your computer are icing on the cake.

One of my friends is a technician for sprint and he shy'd away from CM6 on his hero because it seemed too slow/laggy, which is why he recommended what he did. Have you experienced any substantial issues?

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
One of my friends is a technician for sprint and he shy'd away from CM6 on his hero because it seemed too slow/laggy, which is why he recommended what he did. Have you experienced any substantial issues?

Have not experienced anything major. What I mainly like is that the base ROM is about HALF the size of a sense ROM so more room in internal memory for apps.

One BIG drawback is that the CM mods do not support ## codes so no way to update things like PRL. It hasn't been a huge deal for me yet especially since I eventually plan to upgrade to either the EVO or BlackBerry Style in the near future.

RoadBicyclist

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I have been using CM 6.0 RC1 since it came out I believe on 9/20/2010, very fast! The only issue I had for the last week was that it was freezing once at least every 2 days, and the unlocking with Launcher Pro was a little slow, but with ADW was fast though. I do prefer LauncherPro though.

Have not experienced anything major. What I mainly like is that the base ROM is about HALF the size of a sense ROM so more room in internal memory for apps.

One BIG drawback is that the CM mods do not support ## codes so no way to update things like PRL. It hasn't been a huge deal for me yet especially since I eventually plan to upgrade to either the EVO or BlackBerry Style in the near future.

No real issues, except what I mentioned. I also plan to upgrade in about two-three months to EVO or any HTC Sprint phone that comes out in this time-frame, hopefully EVO2 or whatever it is called.

In the meantime I'm upgrading tonight to CM 6.1 which came out on 10/28, I just found out tonight, hopefully my issues will disappear!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Another plus for CM6 is the built in widget control settings on the pull down notification bar. It frees up widget space on the homescreen and is very functional.

rowanangelo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Actually, you can have VVM and almost all of the sprint apps on CM6. They're all available if you look in the XDA forum. I use VVM with no problems. I have tried other ROMs and found no real improvement in speed over cyanogen's. The little upgrades with froyo (like automatic backup and restore of apps) make it worth it, as well as the new drop down menu in 6.1.

devel79

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I've used Aloysius Rom, Fresh Rom, Stock De-odexed Sprint Rom, NFX, and a few other ones including CM6 Blackmod (2.2) and aospMod (2.2). My personal favorite Sense rom was RegawMOD.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo